“Home away from home!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bayeux
Hotel Particulier Poppa
Ranked #1 of 32 Bayeux B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Home away from home!”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

This place is beautiful, well kept and clean. Sophie is just extraordinary, she is always available to help you out, get you what you need and to give great suggestions. We really regret not having planned more days in Bayeux. The location of this place is fantastic, everything is a small walk away, store, restaurants, etc. The breakfasts a really good too, Sophie has this all figured out and you are sure to have a great stay!

Merci pour tout Sophie, notre temps passé chez vous fut extraordinaire, j'ai déjà très hâte de retourner!!

Room Tip: We had room number 1, it was beautiful, big and very clean. The room is big, bathroom is big and lot...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Natalieleb74

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Beautiful period large home turned into a quiet clean and elegant B n B. Phillip and Sofie were so genuinely friendly and very very helpful. Large king bed and new bathroom facilities.....clean,clean,clean. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Bayeux is a spectacular French small town...great restaurants and shopping. Nearby Normandy beaches.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Boise, ID
Reviewed 23 April 2013

My wife and I stayed three nights at this wonderful hotel in early April 2013. We stayed in Room 1 and were surprised to find both the bedroom and bathroom quite large, even by American standards. The rooms have been renovated and contained modern amenities. The room was quiet and the bed was comfy allowing us to enjoy good nights of sleep. But the best part of the hotel was the adorable hosts, Philippe and Sophie.

Our scheduled train from Paris was ‘on strike’ and we had to take a later one causing us to miss their reception time window. When we called to inform them of our tardiness, they generously offered to pick us up from the train station when we arrived. Philippe was standing on the platform in the rain when we did and drove us to their beautiful home where we were greeted by his thoroughly delightful wife, Sophie. Their fabulous hospitality was immediately evident. They made sure we were aware of everything the hotel and our room offered. They recommended several restaurants nearby for dinner, but since we had been traveling for nearly 24 hours we just wanted to eat a few snacks we had brought along and then go to bed. So we asked if we could use their dining area to do this and they ended up bringing out drinks, breads, cheeses, and fruits for us to enjoy. The next day we elected to walk around the simply charming town of Bayeux and were given an envelope full of discounted coupons to various local attractions. When we asked about how to arrange for a taxi back to the train station when we were ready to return to Paris, Philippe and Sophie insisted on providing us a ride. When the day for our departure arrived, their vehicle wasn’t working and so Sophie called for a taxi and paid the driver over our objections.

We could highly recommend this Bed and Breakfast just on the loveliness of the home itself. But Philippe and Sophie are the most hospitable folks we have met that our stay at the Hotel Particulier Poppa was truly a magnificent experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HavingFunInBoise
Minnesota
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I give the hotel poppa the very highest recommendation! I cannot say enough good things, but I will try to list a few. this is a very lovely grand home, built in 1791. I believe it had four stories, at least three. Phillipe and Sophie, the owners, made our stay very special -- they are very kind people. They dropped us at the train station and drove us, more than once. (we did some train travel during our stay). They made us breakfast extra early! phillipe even hunted down fresh bread at 6 a.m. because we had an early tour day of the normandy beaches. in short, they went above and beyond!

We, a family of four, traveled 10 days through France in March with our two teens (ages 15 and 13). we wanted a quad. we selected the smaller of the two quads at poppa (king bed with two comfy chairs that pull into a nice twin) and could not have been more impressed.

the bathroom is HUGE and feels like a small piece of versaille -- the decor is modern yet in a 18th century home, so the contrast is very impressive and special. we had plenty of room, the four of us. when you view photos on the web, you will see two chairs that pull out into beds - I was not sure if they would be comfortable pull outs for the kids. they were. I even asked each kid- trust me! they were very good quality pull outs, clearly new.

the breakfast was perfect and delicious, included in the nightly rate. there is a separate WC just down the hall and one floor down, very convenient. the shower is brand new/rain forrest type shower head -- very spa like.

the view from our room looks over a park on one side, and the bayeux cathedral out another window - at night it is lit up and a beautiful sight to behold. we loved that we could walk to this hotel from the train station, which we did on our first day of arrival with one large suitcase on wheels. no problem. the hotel is one block from the cathedral, so extremely well located! again, I cannot say enough about how sweet and kind the owners are -- phillipe and sophie made the stay memorable.

A word about Bayeux in general -- we chose this as our main spot for our tour of the normandy beaches and WWII spots, with a two day guided tour. Bayeux was perfect for this.

a quick word about the Churchill hotel in Bayeux. you will find the Churchill is often discussed on trip advisor -- clearly one of the main hotels in town, and very nice indeed. I believe I did email the Churchill when researching our stay before we departed on our trip, and if I recall, they did not have suitable quads available during our stay. as it turns out, we were quite happy we landed at hotel poppa and not the Churcill. Dont get me wrong - the churchill is very nice. in fact, we stopped in each night for a glass of wine before dinner. they have a lovely bar area with a small room with red velvet sofas and ottomans off the side, devoted to WWII memorabilia including a great photo of the men from Band of Brothers (autographed!) if you are into the band of brothers story. the churchill folks were very friendly, and we got to know them by sight as we stopped in 4 nights in a row for our pre dinner drink. they got our kids their hot chocolate, and us our wonderful red wine. what I noticed was that the entire hotel seemed taken up by an american tour group. it seemed the place where the americans stay. not that there is anything wrong with that! I am not one to worry about things being too touristy, if I like it I like it. BUT, on the other hand, my husband and I commented how happy we were to stay at a smaller more intimate hotel like poppa, where our daughter could practice her french every day with the owners! FIRST RATE hotel, with all seriousness. dont hestitate to stay at poppa!

Room Tip: The four person room we stayed in was so roomy and comfortable, for the four of us. the views were...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Actually, I am a bit sad reading these because I want to go back! It really was quite wonderful. It was my husband, and my two adult daughters. It was the highlight of our trip! The owners are adorable and wanted to help make our trip special. The breakfast was just perfect The house was beautiful and exceptionaly clean! Sophie even offered to carry our bags to the car!! They were delightful. I will always reccommend their home. Beautiful city, great restuarants and take a private tour to Normandy. Thank you Phillipe and Sophie. Look forward to visiting again! Merci!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Peggy B
Paris, France
Reviewed 30 November 2012

hands down the ONLY place you should consider staying in bayeux. could not be any better. as if staying at my best friends parents home with the best taste ever. just lovely and literally wish i could move in to this place. enjoy!!!! and big thanks to sophie and phillipe! : )

P.s. if you are a clean freak and have a love for great design go here. : )

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank nicolebray
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I highly recommend this B&B. There are 4 rooms, each is unique and beautiful. Our hosts have done a marvelous job updating the rooms, but maintaining the charm and history of this beautiful old building. The location is wonderful, our hosts were warm, friendly, charming, and helpful. The breakfast was wonderful. I can't say enough how lovely it was and how much we enjoyed our stay. Treat yourself, visit Bayeaux ( a wonderful, old town) and stay in this B&B.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple