Hotel Chateau De Bellefontaine
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Relais Des 3 Pommes(Saint-Vigor-le-Grand)
View Hotel
All reviewsmain chateauswans and duckshotel chateauduplex suitelovely groundsbrittany ferriesstream runningminute walk into townfourth floorbreadevery eveningshort breakmini bara lovely place to staystayed here for three nightsold worldbreakfast room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We had hired cars for our six nights in France. We picked this hotel as it was the one we liked the most of what was available in Bayeux. We thought it was going to be far out but its actually only a short 15 minute walk to the centre of Bayeux. We ate in Bayeux every evening and then walked home. I think we are all used to walking around cities so its location might not suit if you like to be bang smack in the middle of a town.
We all agreed that we liked the rural feel of the hotel. Indeed we felt it was its main appeal as it was so peaceful and green.
The staff are friendly enough and the ladies on the desk speak okay English. A couple of us speak French so we were fine. There is a young man who seems to do all sorts around the hotel including being a porter, barman as well as waiter in the restaurant at night. We all found him to be very affable and helpful.
We had two rooms in the main chateau which were comfortable. My bathroom had no curtain on the bath so when I had a shower each morning, I saturated the room. This seemed stupid so I'm not sure why there isnt a curtain or barrier. The water pressure and temperature were brilliant however and the bathroom was spotless. The towels are not amazing- a bit thin- but adequate.
My friends stayed in the apartments over across from the hotel. These are large but I think I preferred the hotel rooms myself. Wifi is not as good in these outer apartments either.
Breakfast is a bit of a DIY affair. You can make toast and boil your own egg. Theres also a hotplate to make pancakes. There was very little in the way of hot food.
There was always a lady on walking around asking whether we wanted coffee. There is also a Nespresso machine if you fancy a small strong coffee. I think the breakfast is adequate and you can fill up for the day. There is bread, cereal, juice, yoghurt, brioche and other bread items. We thought the breakfast was €10 but when we checked out, we were told it was €14 each day. I am not sure its worth this but it was the most convenient thing for us to do each morning before touring Normandy.
We did have gin and tonics when we came back one afternoon outside the hotel as it was so nice. The waiter suggested Bombay Sapphire which we took. We only found out when we paid that each G and T was €12!!
This makes the hotel sound expensive but we found Bayeux in general to be quite expensive. We ate in Honfleur and stayed afterwards in Mont St Michel and Amboise and they were all cheaper than Bayeux.
Overall I would stay here again as I liked the rural feel of the hotel. It was easy walking for us to the center. It wouldnt suit everyone especially those with no car, or those who like to be in the middle of everything

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel- the wifi is better and the rooms are cosier
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gary W
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The rooms are big and confortable, the garden is beautiful and the restaurant is a must! We had the menu and we felt like royalty. Great food

The staff was not very friendly, from the very arrival we felt more like we were disturbing the tranquility of the place than being guests (and we are three regular people). This should definitely be improved

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We went to this Chateau between visiting Paris and London. What a treat! We were staying here as a place to visit the beaches of Normandy. It was so charming and comfortable. We arrived in the early afternoon and after settling in our apartment we sat in a comfy spot in the front overlooking the beautiful moat filled with life and were surrounded by so many gorgeous flowers. We enjoyed wine during the afternoon followed by a delicious meal for dinner. The dining room is small but the food was delicious. The accommodations are comfortable. They were very busy while we were there and I think the service could have been a little better but there were trying and working very hard to accommodate a rather full hotel. The location is so relaxing but if you don't have a car it is quite a walk into town if you prefer to try other restaurants. We thought we would go into town the 2nd night but after visiting the beaches of Normandy all day we were too tired to walk to town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2014

A beautiful setting but out of town thus limiting dining options unless you drive. Public areas (restaurant, bar) are attractive but a bit formal.

Large and comfortable room (ours was in the main Chateau), large and comfortable bed, large and comfortable bathroom! Towels rather miserably thin.

Didn't eat breakfast, which seemed quite expensive, and there are plenty of other options in Bayeux. Ate in the restaurant both nights as we didn't fancy driving into town after long days of sightseeing and feet not up to a 20 minute walk! Table d'hote is decent value but doesn't change on a daily basis, a la carte expensive. Wine expensive. Service in the restaurant varied between acceptable on the first night and dreadful on the second - over an hour for the starter to arrive (1 soup and 1 salad!).

I found front desk staff helpful despite comments from other reviewers but I speak good French and the staff speak very little English. My husband, who speaks only a little French, says he would have struggled on his own. Rather a shortcoming in a hotel that accommodates mostly English speaking guests.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

While often visiting Bayeux we had not heard of this hotel until recently. However we are happy that our usual hotel was full and we found this delightful place. The location is lovely and although very close to the town it seems miles away. The lake and gardens make it very peaceful.
The hotel is classic old French and well presented. The staff were very pleasant and helpful which was a surprise after reading some of the negative comments!
The food was excellent and would have been worth a visit for dinner alone; served very proficiently by a single waiter!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple