“Lovely boutique hotel”

Hotel Chateau De Bellefontaine
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
Reviewed 14 October 2009

I stayed at the Chateau de Bellefontaine in September 2009 while visiting France for work.

The Chateau is lovely. It is run by a family and has a nice friendly atmosphere. There is a spacious and rather grand lounge, a breakfast room (which I think doubles as the function suite), a tennis court and lovely gardens.

On arrival (late on a Sunday evening), I was dismayed to notice a small dog running around the reception, and a definite "doggy" smell in the air. However, I think I must have been over-tired and over-sensitive as I didn't notice this for the rest of my stay and there is definitely no sign or smell of animals in the bedrooms. If you notice the same thing, please don't let it put you off as this is a really lovely place.

My room (7) was very spacious, with a double bed, desk, television and wardrobe, minibar, and a very spacious bathroom with bath with hand-held shower over it. The room was nicely decorated in a homely style and was in great condition - the carpet, bathroom and furniture all looked brand new. More importantly, it was spotless.

My colleague was in room 8 and I think her room was nice although not as spacious and airy as mine. From what I can gather, all the rooms are individually decorated and as this is a converted chateau, the rooms all vary in size and shape. In addition to the rooms in the chteaux itself, the stables have been converted into modern duplex apartments. I didn;t see what these were like, but other guests spoke very highly of them.

The breakfast buffet was good - lots of choice of cereals, cheese, cold meets, jams, fruit juices and fruit salad. The staff bring you a basket of bread and pastries and your choice of coffee, tea or hot chocolate. They also offer hot or cold milk with your coffee which is lovely - most hotels in France serve espresso so the option of a white coffee was nice - this hotel obviously appreciates and caters to British and American guests.

The hotel does serve drinks but there is no restaurant in the evening.

As the hotel is on the outskirts of town, this means a walk (15-20 mins) or a drive (5 mins) into the centre of town to eat. There are lots of great places to go though and the staff are very helpful. We also ordered in take away pizza one evening and they didn't seem to mind.

Bayeux is a lovely place to visit (we did a bit of sightseeing while we were there) and I would totally recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank girl_friday_0382

Reviewed 30 September 2009

The service was excellent, the staff were very hospitable and obliging, and helpful
The rooms were very comfortable, and tastefully furnished. I did my research, and chose and requested a room to my taste, and I was more than happy. Room was clean, nice spacious bathroom en suite, with bath and shower, clean linen every day.
Please note, the hotel is suitable for disabled people: I use a walking stick, and the lift was ideal. I also managed to walk to restaurants in Bayeux since the little streets were quiet.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Early04
Reviewed 13 September 2009

My husband and I spent one night here together with my sister and brother in law, and found it to be delightful. We had very attractively decorated, spacious and comfortable rooms, with large bathrooms and, unlike previous reviewers, we found the staff to be friendly and helpful including the barman who served us with brandy and hot chocolate late in the evening. The breakfasts were generous with plenty of choice, and the dining room was delightful. There were large grounds which we would have liked to explore if we had more time, and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Jenny L
Reviewed 17 April 2009

The Chateau is not just a B&B as a previous writer said.
Having previously stayed in a hotel in the town center I must say the location of Bellefontaine is perfect. It is old but what do you expect from a Chateau, but it is quiet and pleasant. The staff were all friendly and I would recomment it as a base for visiting Normandy.
We stayed in the main Chateau. The room was very large, well furnished and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was also very spacious and again spotlessly clean. However there was just a hand held shower in the bath as opposed to a wall mounted shower, but this did not take away from an overall very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank theflight
Reviewed 11 August 2008

The Chateau de Bellefontain calls it self a hotel but despite its name is only a bed and breakfast establishment. It does not have a restaurant. The welcome was decidedly frosty and the lady at reception seemed totally disinterested in our arrival. Rooms 11,12,14 and 15 are all on the 2nd floor in the former attic. Our room number 11 was disappointing with a low sloping ceilings and an opening roof light for ventilation plus two other small oddly placed windows. The room was very clean and tidy with good quality fittings but no proper place to hang any clothes so we had to live out of suitcases for two days.
It takes 16 minuets’ to walk to the cathedral in the town. The walk into the town is first along the road then across a main road and then on poor and very narrow pavements. These would prove difficult with small children and a pram. Most people would want to take the car into Bayeux. The breakfast was adequate but nothing special in respect of the extra cost. On the positive side the grounds of the Chateau are very pleasant and it’s a very nice setting. The décor throughout is well maintained and very pleasant but some how lacking in atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2007

Stayed a few days in March '07. Staff seemed friendly. You pay extra for the breakfasts, but well worth it - I still dream about their bread and hot chocolate. There were plenty of parking spots. The exterior was nice - they have a little stream with swans. The location is convenient if you have a car. Too far to walk downtown. On the downside, the beds were very uncomfortable. The mattresses actually sagged in the middle. Also, it was kinda cold in the rooms. Our heaters didn't work well and it was chilly outside. I would stay there again, but only for a couple of nights, because my back wouldn't be able to take any more.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PeterTraveller
Reviewed 31 October 2007

My adult son and I recently stayed at the Chateau Bellfontaine and found it to be quite lovely and deserving of a good review. We were booked in for a one night stay through the owner of another hotel in Bayeux who could not accomodate us when we decide to stay for an extra night. Our room was on the front of the Chateau, very bright and spacious even by North American standards. It was also immaculate. We arrived earlier than expected and the room was not yet cleaned. The receptionist at the front desk was most pleasant and invited us to sit in the beautiful large lounge while she had someone immediately prepare our room. While we waited she personally served us coffee and croissants and we had the opportunity to chat with two other guests who had stayed at the Chateau for 5 nights and were most pleased. The breakfast is typically French continental with a fairly wide selection. Only improvement here is that the coffee and hot chocolate were only lukewarm. The Chateau is very quiet on the front side, there is a train that passes close to the grounds but we could not hear it from our room. Grounds are well tended and quite charming with nice gardens, a pond, swans, ducks, small bridge etc. Overall a nice place to return to at the end of a long day. Most satisfactory stay and a high level of customer service. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family