“Excellent Quaint Hotel in the Heart of Bayeux”
Review of Hotel Churchill

Hotel Churchill
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The Hotel Churchill has an excellent location in the heart of Bayeux surrounded by shops and restaurants. The hotel is an old building but well kept and very clean decorated with WW II memorabilia. The rooms are small but comfortable and very clean. They have a "family" room for 4 people in the attic very nice with a spiral staircase to get to the third floor. The hotel and Bayeux is an excellent location to stay and visit Normandy and Mont St. Michel.
I highly recommend Hotel Churchill, a beautiful quaint little hotel with an excellent location.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights while visiting the Normandy beaches. Great location, near many restaurants & shopping area. Pick up area for most tours very near hotel. Very quiet, clean & comfortable. Served nice European style continental breakfast. Personnel were very helpful. Easy walk to train station or very short taxi ride. Lots of historical photos in lobby & artifacts. Highly recommend!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My Dad and I stayed here for 2 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel was very clean and well-decorated. We stayed in the small building right across from reception. Our room was very large and very quiet! The wifi was free and worked great. Everyone at the front desk was friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a great location for Normandy tours. You could take a taxi from the train station but we walked; it took about 15-20 mins and was an easy walk. I took the hotel shuttle to Mont St Michel and I would recommend that.
The town itself was very charming. There were lots of places to eat and walking around was very nice.
The hotel was more expensive than some but it was a great place to stay. I am very happy I stayed here and would do so in the future.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This hotel is in an older building, but the rooms are very well maintained. The furniture is traditional, but it's not shabby or worn and it's clear that someone is paying attention to the details. The room size is typical European... I had a room with a king bed, and there was probably 4 feet on each side and at the foot clearance between the bed and the walls. (Which is a lot more than I had at a hotel in Paris the night before!)
The staff is very nice and at least bi-lingual in French and English. I was a little insecure about leaving my room key hanging in the lobby when I wasn't in the room, but it seems someone is at the desk all the time, so it seemed secure. Nevertheless, I used the in-room safe as a precaution.
The location is right on one of the main streets (which was pedestrians-only during my stay), within hearing distance of the cathedral bells (and sound and light show), a block or so to the tapestry, and around the corner from where most of the D-Day tours depart. It could not have been more convenient.
They also serve drinks (along with crackers and olives) in the hotel bar or outside terrace at very reasonable prices.
The bathroom is modern, with very good water pressure and temperature control.
Old-World charm and modern plumbing is the perfect combination!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had the privilege of staying at the Hotel Churchill for three nights the first of August. What a great little find! Situated in the middle of an adorable village in Bayeaux, France. Rooms were quaint and had all we needed, but the best of all was the staff! They simply were the best! Eric, Matisse and the gentleman (Daniel I think!!) who brought us wine glasses and other amenities each evening as we enjoyed the food and wine from the region in their lovely courtyard. They took great care of us! This was our first stop on a 14 day tour through Northern France and it could not have been a more perfect start! Loved it!

Room Tip: Most rooms in hotels like this are small and without elevators. Also no air conditioning and rooms...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My 18 year old son and I (his Dad) spent three nights at Hotel Churchill in early July. Bayeux was our base for a two day D Day tour with Overlord and the Churchill's shuttle to Mont St. Michel.

We made our reservations in early January via e-mail. I traded several planning e-mails with Daniel before we arrived. Responses were timely and helpful. I believe Daniel was the front desk employee who checked us in and was very helpful with directions and recommendations.

We had requested a room with two twin beds. We were assigned Room 12, which sits over the gate entrance from rue St. Jean. The room was accessed by walking through the breakfast room from the lobby, then up a winding staircase.

We were pleasantly surprised with room 12. The in room air conditioner and in room safe were two amenities we did not expect based on all I had read. These were my two most desired features in a hotel room and I thought we would have neither.

The room is right at the landing on the first floor of the stairs. Although near the staircase, we had no noise issues due to the layout of the room. A short hallway greets you when you enter the room. There is a small toilet room on the right. At the end of the hallway, the large bathroom with a tub/shower, a two vanity sink and a large window is to the right. The closet with the safe is straight ahead and the bedroom is to the left.

Our twin beds were a double bad split apart be a handful of inches. This was fine. The room itself was very cramped. A sitting chair, a dresser with a TV on top, a desk and chair, a bench for luggage and a nightstand were all crammed in to the room. The beds were comfortable and we slept well.

The bedroom had a large window that overlooked rue St Jean, right above the entrance to the hotel courtyard. We really loved opening the window and leaning out for views of the street. But the best part was opening the window in both the bedroom and bathroom. We had a fantastic cooling breeze going through the room. I wish my house was designed to get that kind of breeze. We had the windows open whenever we were in the room and not sleeping. Well almost all the time. The Thursday morning Farmers' Market sets up on rue St. Jean in front of the hotel. The fish vendor was set up right across the street from the hotel. I quickly closed the window Thursday morning. :)

The bathroom was nice. Good water pressure, plenty of hot water, very luxurious towels. The large window did have blinds to close when we were in the shower.

Perhaps it was because of the amount of luggage we had in the room, but electrical outlets in the bedroom were insufficient. We could have used a few more.

The hotel uses old fashioned keys. You leave your key on a hook in the lobby when you head out. When everyone is in for the night, the gates to the courtyard are locked.

Free wifi is offered. Each room has its own password. Imagine our surprise when the password for our room included Indianapolis, our hometown.

We did not eat the breakfast offered by the hotel. We had tours that left each morning at 8:15 and my son simply does not eat a large enough breakfast to justify the cost. Instead, I ran out to a boulangerie each morning to grab some pastries.

The hotel does not have guest laundry services. There is a self serve laundrette a few blocks away, behind the visitor's center.

The location of the Churchill was excellent. Bayeux is a small, compact town. Everything we wanted to see was within a short walking distance.

Our visit was most likely a once in a lifetime visit. If we would choose to return for some reason, I would have no issue staying at the Churchill again.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This hotel was charming and convenient and clean, just like the other reviewers have mentioned. It was through tripadvisor that we picked this hotel, after seeing all the positive reviews, and the reviews are spot on. We stayed for 3 days. We took the train and arrived at Bayeux and as there was not a taxi there (we saw a taxi pulling away with passengers), we decided to walk with another couple to the hotel, rather than wait for another taxi. It was about a 10 minute walk (with luggage). Check-in was smooth and quick. We were in the first front room, which consists of one double bed on the ground (main) floor and then there is an upstairs loft with 2 twin beds. There is a winding staircase to go up to the loft, so keep that in mind when booking --it was no problem for our kids who were on the upstairs loft, and they just loved having their "own room" from us. The bathroom (with shower, no bath) and sink and toilet, is on the main floor. There is television and phone. Our front door opened up to the courtyard of the hotel, but there were no problems with noise while we were there. However, we did tend to keep the curtains mostly closed when we were in (which wasn't often) since the large window to our main floor bedroom opened up to the main courtyard.
We did eat the breakfast at the hotel and breakfast consists of slices of ham, slices of cheese (delicious), granola cereal, milk, hardboiled eggs, apple juice, choice of coffee, tea or chocolate (hot chocolate), yogurt, applesauce. It was a great way to start the day!
The staff were very helpful and pleasant and were able to store food we had purchased for my son who has food allergies in their hotel refrigerator, which was very kind of them. The hotel is very centrally located and many restaurants and shops are just out the door. We really enjoyed being able to walk around the town so easily. The cathedral, tapestry museum, the pickup place for D-day tours are just minutes by walking from the hotel. There even is a Laundromat just a few minutes away from the hotel, which the staff directed us to, which we used for the first time in Europe. Bayeux is a lovely town, and we would most highly recommend this hotel!