“Recommended by our Hotel - Great Choice”
Review of Le Nonan'T

Le Nonan'T
Ranked #35 of 100 Restaurants in Bayeux
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This restaurant was recommended to us by Florence who owns and runs Hotel de Sainte Croix in Bayeux. We were very glad we took her advice and ate at this lovely restaurant. I cannot add much to the review by JerS518 as I think they have said it all. The presentation was lovely and the food was excellent. Yes, the menu is limited but I am a picky eater and was able to find and enjoy a lovely meal. We got there right when he opened at 7:00 PM (the French eat late) and as the evening progressed more patrons came in. We might not have gone there if Florence had not recommended it as it is just up a little from the main square and I don't know if one would go in that direction if they did not know the restaurant was there. We did not eat at any of the restaurants right on the square just outside our door at Hotel de Sainte Croix. We have a couple of other favorites in Bayeux which I will not mention in this review to be fair to Le Nonan'T. We have visited Bayeux 3 times now and will go back again. I would highly recommend this restaurant as the food and service was excellent. Again, please read JerS518's review below.

1  Thank ArizonaTravelers02

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We first saw le Nonan'T while walking to the edge of downtown Bayeux around lunch time. It looked like there was nobody inside so we thought, "Better keep looking." The building's facade is uninspiring. At night, after reading positive reviews, we decided to give it a try. One of the best decisions of our trip.

The host/server seated us, and we ordered a bottle of pear cider. He dropped off a bowl of peanuts, which set the tone for going above and beyond. We ordered one entree-plat-dessert menu and one a la carte meal of two entrees and a dessert. It was refreshing to have a shorter menu (clearly changes often). Instead emulating restaurants that try to cover too much ground and fall short, le Nonan'T focuses on doing a few things very well at an affordable price. There are automated English translations on the menu, but we spoke French. A good sign that they are open to the town's tourist lifeblood.

Between the two of us, we had scallops, fish, seasonal squash soup and a chicken dish with sun dried tomatoes. The presentation was such that even I, a person who doesn't mind a cheap all-you-can-eat buffet, noticed it and found that it added to my dining experience. Our carafe d'eau was regularly refilled without our asking, a pleasant surprise in France. After a surprising poprocks-laced dessert, I was going to order some calvados, a digestif to end our time in Normandy. Before I could open my mouth, the server who must have read my mind delivered two small complimentary glasses of the famous apple brandy.

When we first arrived, we were one of two tables, both of Americans. We like our early dinners. As our meal progressed, I observed the host greeting people by first name as they entered, clearly families that regularly enjoy the restaurant.

It is difficult to find a non-touristy restaurant in Bayeux given its historical significance and proximity to the D-Day beaches. Le Nonan'T is a great pick for good Normand food with a modest budget and an unpretentious atmosphere.

3  Thank JerS518
Reviewed 10 November 2013

So this place is a little bit out of town, still walkable. Friendly staff. Prices are OK. But the menu was very limited and everything had a weird twist to it ingredient wise. The food was fine, not great. Funny thing about the desserts, we got two, and both of them had pop-rocks in them! they wouldve been fine on their own, but I feel like they just threw that on there to make it "cooler" when it didnt really fit, Definitely not bad, but I wouldnt go there again

2  Thank ilovecorndogs
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed in a B and B just around the corner, and walked right by it, even though we were looking for it. Food was very nice, ambience good, and I had a whipped cream dessert that was wonderful.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I agree wholeheartedly with the other reviewers' comments. This restaurant was also recommended to us by our B&B host, otherwise we probably wouldn't have discovered it! It's certainly worth going out of your way to visit. We visited on a Friday late in the lunch period, so taking our orders was delayed somewhat because the lone staff member was making coffees, settling accounts etc. However, the food was certainly worth the wait. This restaurant is incredibly good value. I had the lunch menu (10.50 euros) while my husband had the 'suggestion' which was 13 euros. English language is limited, and although I speak some French different words are often used for specific ingredients. Therefore, the waiter brought me a sample of what turned out to be a pumpkin puree that the steamed white fish was served in. That's what I call service. At other restaurants the attitude is often 'work it out and decide whether you'll order it' or 'just take a punt on it'. This restaurant is not to be missed if you are looking for quality food at a very reasonable price in Bayeux.