“Very Knowledgeable”

Around Europe Battlefields Tours Day Tours
Ranked #10 of 34 things to do in Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: Normandy D-Day Beaches tour, Guided tour of Omaha Beach,American Cemetery, Pointe du Hoc, Utah Beach, Ste Mere Eglise. Cruise ship shore Excursions from Normandy Ports, Private tour, Schedule group tour from Bayeux, we have a full range of vehicles from sedan to buses.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very Knowledgeable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Knowledgeable does not begin to describe Francois. As a travel agent I have contracted his services for several well traveled clients. He and his team were patient and thorough in preparing custom itineraries. Very accommodating with last minute changes.

Susan Ross - Travel Anywhere - Philadelphia 215-923-4300

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Susan R

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“François Gauthron and Around Europe Battlefields Tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

In June 2013, we organised a one day personal tour of the Canadian battlefields in Normandy with Francois Gauthon. We were collected at our Gite in Dives-sur-mer slightly before the appointed hour and chauferred to the nearby sights that were important Normandy Canadian objectives. We visited the Bunker museum and also the Canadian Centre at Normandy. Francois was extremely Knowledgable about the Canadian involvement at Normandy. Although we left the tour Itinary up to Francois, he was quite happy to modify the tour itinary to allow us to see things which we particularly wished to see.

We were delivered back to our GiteIt just before 17:00 after an enjoyable day spent in the company of a tour guide who knew his material and communicated easily and freely..

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Sandy J
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Useless tour of Rouen and Honfleur”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We paid serious money for a small group tour to Rouen and Honfleur with this company. Right at the start, I was less then confident when our driver Lena proved to be uncomfortable driving the vehicle (a 5 speed Peugeot van). She was unable to co-ordinate the use of clutch and gear shift and stalled the van before we got far from the ship. She repeated this several times during the day including once in a busy roundabout.

Lena admitted that she was not french but was from Russia. This was adequately demonstrated during the day. At the Joan of Arc memorial I translated the inscription with my rudimentary french when she was unable to. When people asked for information along the journey she was unable to identify villages or castles. Very poor knowledge for a tour guide.

After our walk through Rouen it was clear that she had forgotten where she had parked the van.

At that point she wondered if we wanted lunch in Rouen or Honfleur. We opted for Honfleur when she assured us she knew of a suitable restaurant. She did not.

By this time people were so disillusioned that they drifted off on their own as Lena had nothing to offer about the town.

On our way back to the ship we made a detour to Pontleveque to sample cheese. Not surprisingly the place was closed.

Except for the beauty of the towns and the countryside the tour was a total waste of time and money.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank Pieter v
Windermere, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Incredible”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I recently went to Normandy with my father as sort of a "last-second" trip to a place where we had such an amazing time five years prior. Bayeux is magnificent and beautiful and centrally located;easily accessible by train or car from Paris.

As for the tour itself, it was simply incredible. You can clearly tell that Francois genuinely loves the subject and what he does, as he effortlessly takes you back in time with fascinating stories and facts about D-Day. He is clearly very educated on D-Day, but what separates Francois apart from other D-Day historians is his determination to give the "big picture" and take you to only the most important locations to the battle. No matter how old or interested in D-Day you may be, you will end the tour with not only a more complete understanding of everything D-Day, but also a numerous amount of stories to take home.

I highly recommend Francois to anyone interested in D-Day or simply looking for something awesome to do while in Normandy.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Andrew H
Northport, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Day trip with my 18 yr old Daughter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I just came back from a D-Day excursion last month with my daughter. Francois met us at the Carentan train station after a short 2.5 hour ride from Paris. My daughter was doing this for me but Francois changed that. He was a terrific guide. He allowed me to sort of self guide and adjusted his approach as we went along to touch on particular aspects of the events of June 6th that were of interest to me, a former intelligence officer. We explored numerous locations; some obvious and some not so much so. Francois' ability to tailor his approach to not only me but my daughter made him invaluable. He brought the battle to life in stark terms and we learned much that was sobering as well as heroic. We left better for the experience and I cannot recommend Francois highly enough.

Visited April 2014