No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Lace Conservatory in Hotel du Doyen (Dentelle de Bayeux)
Book In Advance
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Not to miss!”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Just across the street from the entrance to the cathedral. You MUST take a few minutes to watch these ladies fly through lace-making as it has been done for centuries.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Gwen H

Millstone, New Jersey
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Had to buy a piece of lace...”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

At first I wasn't sure if the public was invited. My French is basic, and the word atelier almost scared me off. However, the lace inside beckoned and I opened the door to a small, yet amazing, display of lacework. In this machine-made plasticized world of ours, this kind of craft is rare. There were 3 women working quietly who did not acknowledge me -- I was hesitant to disturb them. I saw several pieces with prices attached. After hesitantly asking, in my rusty French, if it were possible to purchase something, I was assisted, without any pressure, in making a selection. The ladies could not have been nicer. Local women walked in and out, purchasing supplies and chatting with the staff. My gift was wrapped carefully and charmingly. The lace is expensive, but it took over 2 days of work to produce the lace handkerchief I bought. A true work of art, and a Bayeux tradition dating back centuries.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank Boadicea32
Basel
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Drop in to see the most maniacally meticulous artwork ever. Watch in wonder as the staff turn bobbins of thread into beautiful lace, using more little straight pins than I've ever seen before in my life. This place is a must-see. Don't forget to drop a few Euros in the box on the way out to support the preservation of this amazing art.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank hochbeam
Washington, NJ
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“One can watch the lacemakers at work”
Reviewed 14 November 2012

It was interesting to see the process, but there were only 3 women there that day. Everything is in French, so it is difficult for non-French speakers to make much sense out of the information. Still, worth a visit, if you want to see how handmade lace is made and how labor-intensive it is.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Mary L
Wilmington, North Carolina
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A whole new appreciation for lace!”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

There is probably a lot more to this place than I saw, but I was amazed at how lace is made. Evidently, not many people actually make lace - at least by hand - any more. There was a lady in there, I'll call her the teacher, that was guiding her "student" on her lace making project. Watching them work together and how they keep track of all the pins and spools boggles the mind. I had no idea of the time and patience that went into this art. There were some items for sale in here. A fascinating place to spend some time.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank airsho60

Travellers who viewed Lace Conservatory in Hotel du Doyen (Dentelle de Bayeux) also viewed

Been to Lace Conservatory in Hotel du Doyen (Dentelle de Bayeux)? Share your experiences!