“A very average B&B”

Villa Aggarthi B&B
Ranked #19 of 32 Bayeux B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 May 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I booked 3 nights at this establishment in August 2010 for the 4th - 7th June 2011. In February 2011 I received an email from her asking whether we would like the attic room with a sloping roof or a lower room costing a little extra, I went for the lower room.
We arrived at approximately 4pm on Saturday 4th June 2011, my wife went to book in and was told that she had let the room to somebody else, she had emailed me on the 31st May to check that we were still coming and when she didn't get a reply she told the company I booked through I had cancelled the booking and let the room to somebody else.
We were travelling down to Poole on the 31st May, as we had 300 miles to travel we left at 6.30am so there was no way we would have received her email.
Her excuse was that we had not sent the 50% deposit that she required to keep the room for us, the deposit was not a problem but she does not accept credit cards.
When she emailed in February she did not mention the 50% deposit so I was not aware of it.
I have to say that I did not read everything on the booking form when I booked, and all I could get out of her was that we hadn't sent the deposit, she rang round and found a room for 2 nights in a travel lodge type hotel, 2 nights cost me a 100 Euros more than the 3 nights would have cost at her place.She just wanted us out of her way.
When I got round to reading the booking form properly it did say she wanted 50% deposit, it also said that it had to be received by the 14th May, I did not receive an email on the 14th May to ask for the 50% deposit, If she could not be bothered to email me by what I assumed was the last date for receiving the 50% deposit why the sudden panic 4 days before I was to arrive.
WE never got in to the hotel? apart from sitting in the garden which was very overgrown, so I can't comment on the rooms.
I do agree with Dan D's comments, the only thing going for this place is the is the location.

Room Tip: Find another address
Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roymack1
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Myriam and her family were exteremely helpful during our one night stay in Bayeux. We had the Kham room which was light and airy. Quantly decorated with all the comforts necessary for our stay. It being so close to the pickup points for Normandy tours and having many restaurants so close made an ideal location. If you are going on a Normandy tour be sure to arrive the day before to experience Bayeux, visit the Normandy Museum and cemetry to give yourself a history refresher before your tour. Myriam is great at sorting out transport issues in her usual eager way. Thank you Myriam.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Despite having only one full day in Bayeaux, we thought we could easily join a tour for Normandy beaches. Surprise! All the tours were booked. Worse, we arrived in Beyeax too late on Sat to rent a car. However, Madam made several phone calls for us, and the next thing we knew, we had a rental car on Sunday morning. Peter eben drove us to pick it up aftwr breakfast and Madam coached us to maximize our limited time while she created a color coded map of the Normandy beaches and the most important sites (including where to find clean bathrooms!). Our room on the upper floor was very clean and quiet with a view of the back yard. We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Neilswife
Reviewed 1 October 2011

We had the bottom room and could hear doors closing, floors creeking, and people on the other side of our door that sounded like they were in the room with us.

The hostess was anything but understanding that we may want privacy or don't know the exact time we will want breakfast.

The room was a dump (we killed 3 big spiders). The owner has 2 yapping dogs that may or may not let you sleep.

How anyone had a decent stay here other than the location is beyond me. This "hotel" should not even be listed on expedia.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dan D
Reviewed 29 August 2011

The best thing I can say about the Aggarthi (besides the pricing) is that the location is more than fantastic. From this B&B the "Tapestry" is about a five minute walk. Most everything you would want to see in Bayeux is within walking distance of the Aggarthi. The hotel has secure off-street parking, another plus about it. Guests at the hotel can park their car behind the B&B's locked gates. The street the B&B is on, is not what one would call picturesque, however as mentioned you are just a short distance away from all sort of quaint sights. Our room was on the first floor, right on the street. That was a great convenience, because we could hand one another the luggage through our window, however at night I would have felt a bit more secure on the second floor - and we could have slept with the shutters open, and not closed. Closing and locking the window shutters made us feel more secure, but it was fairly stuffy in the room.

The Aggarthi does offer free WiFi, however one is restricted to the "kitchen" area to utilize it. Still it is better than not having it. The room itself could was fine. We do not care too much about glitz, which is a good thing if staying at the Aggarthi. The B&B does supply you with adequate items in the bathroom.

I really only like to eat whole grain bread products, so if you prefer this you will be dissapointed with the breakfast. My husband enjoyed the croissants and the crepes. No fruit, but there was orange juice.

The grounds needs some attention. There were cobwebs by our door and I noticed them along the walkway to our room.

If we were to stay there again, I would ask for a room on the second floor and bring alony my own supply of multi-grain bread.

So, if you want a place close to everything, at a great price and our not too fussy about things, then this is your place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2011

First of all, Normandy was the best part of our 2 weeks in France. We stayed at this location to save money since we were renting a car and carseat for our 19 month old. This bed and breakfast had a few buildings surrounding gardens which were very lush. The breakfast was pastry, bread and butter, jam, and coffee or tea. It was a block or two to the attractions in the city center. They provided a common area with fridge, area to sit and use the wifi, sink, dishes, ect. They provided a baby cot, parking (not for us, it was full but the road was safe). A gate all around the compound so no street noise (not that there is a ton of traffic). Advice for where to go in town to eat and around the countryside with maps, but we just explored on our own.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get much more comfort!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family