“Great B& B and delightful proprietor!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Aggarthi B&B

Villa Aggarthi B&B
Ranked #15 of 30 Bayeux B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great B& B and delightful proprietor!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Myriam made everything about our stay enjoyable. We were pleased to find a place in Bayeux with an adjoining room with separate beds for our kids. We were delighted when we met the owner, Myriam, who served as concierge and hostess. Her B&B is very well maintained and confortable with great wireless access. Her breakfast also was very nice. She was incredibly helpful and obviously takes great pride in her establishment. I would definitely recommend Aggarthi. Aggarthi also is very convenient to all the Bayeux sites.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

My four day stay at Villa Aggarthi B&B was everything I had hoped for and much more. I had a totally delightful experience. It began with the Aggarthi being so easily accessible from the Bayeux train station. It was an short, delightful walk and the B&B was easy to find. The property was not fancy but charming and comfortable, just what I had expected. I stayed in the Tara room which was on the first floor. Everything was clean, especially the bathroom. The bed was comfy. Outside my room was a little courtyard with seating where I went to read usually before dinner. At the time of my stay, wifi was only available under a tent in the backyard, which worked fine for me. The garden was lovely. Coincidently, during my stay the owner was having wifi installed in all rooms, so any inconvenience I may have experienced will be totally eliminated. My plans included a car rental and it was easy and convenient to park my car each evening right in the courtyard.

What made my stay extraordinary was the owner, Myriam. I had read about her prior to my selection and she was a key reason for my choice to stay at the Aggarthi. Myriam spoke good English and seemed to genuinely enjoy having guests. Not surprising, my purpose for visiting Bayeux was to tour Normandy and the many D-Day sites. Each morning, for three days, after breakfast Myriam would slowly and carefully map out the day for me, including colored coded directions from point to point and a numbering system she prepared directly on the maps she had provided. I followed her directions pretty much to the letter which made my adventures both easy and enjoyable. We’d de-brief the following morning after breakfast and set the course for the coming day. Myriam was very talkative but not at all intrusive. I found her stories about France, the area and her family to be entertaining and informative. She has two sons and a daughter that help her, but one son, Pierre, was on duty for breakfast and I found him to be most helpful and attentive.

In summary, I had a thoroughly enjoyable experience and would return in a heartbeat. On a scale of 1-10, I give the Aggathi an ELEVEN!

Btw, if you're planning to visit the Normandy for the D-Day sites, Bayeux is perfectly situated. The farthest site was no more than 45 minutes away, with most being 20-30 minutes. Plus, Bayeux is a charming town with wonderful restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Flagstaff, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Villa Aggarthi is run by an interesting lady named Myriam. When we arrived at the train station, we walked to the B&B about 6-7 long blocks. It was raining and cold which did not suit us. Upon arrival, she showed us to our room and we tried to get situated. The room had a king bed and was located downstairs underneath an apartment where her daughter lived. Outside our door was a communal kitchen which all guests could use, making for some noisy times. The inn is funky...lots of old stuff and clutter and the property seems to have added buildings/rooms over the years resulting in sort of a hodge-podge effect. Breakfast was just ok...nothing really warm but serviceable. The location is good, close to what you want to see in Bayeux and walkable to about anywhere, although a little confusing when returning on a dark, cold, rainy night. Did I mention rainy?
Would I stay there again? Probably not as it was a little too bohemian for us, but if you just need a place to crash for a couple of nights it would be ok. Rating 3 stars for price only.

Room Tip: Upstairs are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank murphy2
Blackpool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I booked 3 nights at this establishment in August 2010 for the 4th - 7th June 2011. In February 2011 I received an email from her asking whether we would like the attic room with a sloping roof or a lower room costing a little extra, I went for the lower room.
We arrived at approximately 4pm on Saturday 4th June 2011, my wife went to book in and was told that she had let the room to somebody else, she had emailed me on the 31st May to check that we were still coming and when she didn't get a reply she told the company I booked through I had cancelled the booking and let the room to somebody else.
We were travelling down to Poole on the 31st May, as we had 300 miles to travel we left at 6.30am so there was no way we would have received her email.
Her excuse was that we had not sent the 50% deposit that she required to keep the room for us, the deposit was not a problem but she does not accept credit cards.
When she emailed in February she did not mention the 50% deposit so I was not aware of it.
I have to say that I did not read everything on the booking form when I booked, and all I could get out of her was that we hadn't sent the deposit, she rang round and found a room for 2 nights in a travel lodge type hotel, 2 nights cost me a 100 Euros more than the 3 nights would have cost at her place.She just wanted us out of her way.
When I got round to reading the booking form properly it did say she wanted 50% deposit, it also said that it had to be received by the 14th May, I did not receive an email on the 14th May to ask for the 50% deposit, If she could not be bothered to email me by what I assumed was the last date for receiving the 50% deposit why the sudden panic 4 days before I was to arrive.
WE never got in to the hotel? apart from sitting in the garden which was very overgrown, so I can't comment on the rooms.
I do agree with Dan D's comments, the only thing going for this place is the is the location.

Room Tip: Find another address
Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roymack1
NSW Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Myriam and her family were exteremely helpful during our one night stay in Bayeux. We had the Kham room which was light and airy. Quantly decorated with all the comforts necessary for our stay. It being so close to the pickup points for Normandy tours and having many restaurants so close made an ideal location. If you are going on a Normandy tour be sure to arrive the day before to experience Bayeux, visit the Normandy Museum and cemetry to give yourself a history refresher before your tour. Myriam is great at sorting out transport issues in her usual eager way. Thank you Myriam.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

Despite having only one full day in Bayeaux, we thought we could easily join a tour for Normandy beaches. Surprise! All the tours were booked. Worse, we arrived in Beyeax too late on Sat to rent a car. However, Madam made several phone calls for us, and the next thing we knew, we had a rental car on Sunday morning. Peter eben drove us to pick it up aftwr breakfast and Madam coached us to maximize our limited time while she created a color coded map of the Normandy beaches and the most important sites (including where to find clean bathrooms!). Our room on the upper floor was very clean and quiet with a view of the back yard. We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011