“Excellent WW2 Museum”

and up
Mémorial de Caen Museum Admission with Optional Audio Guide
Ranked #1 of 45 things to do in Caen
More attraction details
Owner description: From the origins of the Second World War to the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Mémorial de Caen tells you the story of the XXth century.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Dublin, Ireland
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Excellent WW2 Museum”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

It is hard to imagine what living in Normandy was like in 1945 when the Allies landed on the beaches and Caen was virtually bombed out of existence. This musuem captures the images and the stories extremely well. It is a very big museum and you should probably allow 4-5 hours but it is well worth it. It also has an new exhibition since I last visited in 1999 about world events since the end of the 2nd World War. It also had a very quirky yet topical exhibition of cartoonists views of war which I found fascinating. My husband is a history buff, but I am not and I found this very thought provoking and certainly let you know the impact that the final push to D Day had on Normandy. Some very good interactive displays - I particularly liked the story telling of people caught up in other places at the end of the War - Japan, Spain etc. Normandy sacrificed so much for European peace - this museum reminds us. I am not sure where I heard the name, but I have always called the Museum of Peace and I think that is appropriate.

1 Thank Ginnyhan

• Turkish first
Spain
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Great museum full of history”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I went with a group tour to this museum and I loved it. I'm a history lover, so I really enjoyed seeing all of the memorabilia from WWII. I did not go to the Cold War section because it didn't appeal to me. The gift shop had some really cute things....I bought a cricket "clicker" for my son and some "Normandy" things. Our group ate in the group restaurant area upstairs and the food was wonderful. Young kids or kids not interested in history might not enjoy this place.

1 Thank Lorien77
surrey
309 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 275 helpful votes
“Far too big and general,starts well but gets silly in the end.”
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We were visiting this with a view to taking 40 school children on a future visit, There are too many posters and pictures and not enough objects for kids to look at. It covers too much, even interested adults were bored after half an hour. The final galleries on the cold war and the consumer society were far too deep.A lot of people would say BORING.We saw several other museums in the area which were much more succinct.(The d-day bit was tiny)
DO NOT TAKE CHILDREN.

1 Thank lizandianp
Tel Aviv
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good WWII museum”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

A timeline for the entire war. Nice exhibit, very interesting and educating. We had some parking problems there.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank michaelzil
Tadcaster, England, United Kingdom
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Thought provoking”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

seemed very realistic and not sensationalised.Well researched and generally well presented. we arrived on foot as staying reasonably close and weren't carrying photo id which the museum wanted to hold while we were using the audio sets. We left our hotel room keycard in the end. In fact didn't feel the audio added that much as there is plenty to read.