“A terrible place!!!!”

Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Caen
Arlington, Virginia
“A terrible place!!!!”
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Yuck! I found this place thinking I had found a great deal in a quiet location. It resembled a motel 6 and worse I had a bad nights sleep-which is difficult for someone who normally sleeps like a rock! The rooms was very hot so I had to open the window then I could hear all the loud talking going on at the bar across the street and later as the night progressed, there was yelling going on-like a couple was fighting. To top it off I could see the neon sign light in my room. When I mentioned that I had a bad nights rest the woman at the front desk in the a.m. said "no complaining to me" hurry to get your taxi. I was very tempted to ask for some money back. The bed was bad, I did not want to touch the comforter. There are so many other opinions in Caen that are better, if you want a good nights sleep do your research and look for another place!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank Chaska16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
essex
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Went to this hotel for a few nights with 4 other bikers it is ideal for a base for normandy all the staff are helpful and speak good english the rooms are clean and bed are made up evey day i dont see why this hotel is getting and bad review what do you expect for a 2 star in england this hotel would be rated at a 3 star Also this is a biker friendly hotel and have garages to store bikes

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 21 November 2009

Like another reviewer has said, I'm not sure why this hotel has such great reviews. It was clean and comfortable enough, and definately cheap enough at 50 euros per night, but other than that, there isn't much going for it. Like the review below, we found the room to be very small, with very little room to move around, especially in the bathroom. I also had trouble with the shower because there was no room to move around without knocking your elbow into something or the water control, which resulted in the shower changing temperature crazily as you try to rinse soap out of your eyes to see what you are doing to adjust it again! When we made our booking, the hotel owner confirmed a fixed rate for the two nights, but then when we checked in, the staff told us the special was only for one night and the second night we'd have to pay the full rate. We made her go through our email history with the owner, and finally she said ok, it's a mistake but we are honouring 50 euros per night for the two nights. Then when we checked out, another staff member made us go thorugh the same hassle, thinking we needed to pay more for the second night! It would be nice if they could get their booking system straightend out.
The free wi-fi was high speed, but they severely restrict what you can do, making it virtually useless for us because my husband needed to connect back to Canada for some work stuff and couldn't. We ended up at the nearby holiday Inn, which actually has a great restaurant and good wi-fi.
The location of the hotel is ok, but a bit questionable at night. Especially the walk to the train station, that was not fun at night when we went to return the rental car. We were lucky that there wasn't anything going on at the bar across the street so it was quiet for us at night.
Overall, it was an ok place to spend a couple nights, but it needs a bit of tweaking.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 20 August 2009

Other reviews have summed it well. Although the hotel has had a renovation there was still a smell of sweat in the small room. Bathroom area very small, soap and other bits like shampoo sachets etc were not replaced every day. It was a very warm room and opening the window let in the fresh air but also the noise - awoken the first night by loud & drunken clubbers. The staff were a mixture of helpful and friendly or cool and snidey (the owner). I had breakfast once - it was good - but expensive at 8 euros. The supermarkets and the little boulangerie nearby served me very well and much more cheaply.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
New York, NY
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Hotel Bristol is an excellent hotel that is well removed from the fray of the center of town and very conveniently located near the train station of Caen. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful with maps, tour ideas, places to eat, directions, etc...We went to Mont St. Michel one day during our stay and my father became ill (I think it was food poisoning) late that night, and I had to find an open pharmacy quickly. The staff was concerned, and even the next morning the person behind the desk - who had not been there the night before - asked how he was doing. The rooms are very clean and the bathrooms perfect. The breakfast is ample and delicious and our rooms were quiet except for one night when the smokers from the bar across the street spilled out to smoke in the wee hours. My father needed a fan because it was somewhat hot and they brought one up immediately, along with ice every time we requested it. This was a great home away from home and the next time we're in Caen we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank micmor212
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2009

My wife and I just spent one night at this hotel.

We have to think this series of complimentary reviews is mostly that of friends and family of the owners. One poster suggests the room was "roomier than others in France"..huh? This was the smallest room of any hotel we have stayed at in any country anywhere! We have stayed in six or seven in various parts of France including Paris. My wife suggests that if the poster of that comment was not just a shill for the hotel that he or she most be a dormouse. Mon Dieu! The place is tiny. The bathroom with its almost transparent door makes a bizzare choice. The shower IF you can fit in and if you have hot water will be a frustrating experience. The shower control is almost impossible not to hit and shut off. You will be be carefully trying to shower without turning off the water!

The staff were there. That's it; merely there. They did not warn us that the doors close and the desk is unattended after midnight (you need a code to get in...we just happened to make it back with five minuted to spare). The cleaning staff was just plain rude (we could not avoid them/her in the hall.)

Quiet? There is no air conditioning and no fan. You HAVE to keep the window open. The bar across the street was loud and raucous until well after midnight. Even with the windows closed, you had better be a sound sleeper

The area of town is run down and a fair walk to anything (other than the loud bar across this street).

The only thing going for it is the fact that it is cheap and clean. It is a run down hole in a bad part of town with no a/c, uninterested staff and meagre accomodations. If you weigh more than about 150 pounds, assume you will not fit into the shower comfortably.

Fortunately this town has a lot to offer and we loved all of our time out side of the hotel. Avoid this hotel unless you are stuck.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChillyAlbertans
Guelph
Reviewed 4 July 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night. It was excellent. The staff was super friendly and very helpful. Very close to the train station. The room was very comfortable and very clean. Breakfast was good. The hotel was very charming and nice decorated, and the staff made you feel at home. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple