Hotel Crocus
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsrooms are basiccroissantsstayed two nightssat navbreadreception areacity centreroundaboutmemorialparkingcheese
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The outside appearance of the hotel is very nice with tables and hedging. Reception is manned until 23.00 which was a great relief as often we've stayed in places like Quick Palace and Ibis Budget which are only manned for a couple of hours during breakfast and early evening! The room wasn't great, but we only paid 40 Euros having booked on line the day before. The notice outside said 45-80. We had big pizzas for 8 Euros including a large jug of iced water and bread and oil... We decided against the 9 Euro buffet breakfast as we wanted to get off to the Memorial and visit the Landing Beaches before going to Le Havre. We had an end-of-corridor ground floor room which lacked charm but there was plenty of hot water and working WiFi. The lights in the corridors don't come on until you're a third of the way up which was a bit disconcerting. The staff were all lovely, especially the young girl in the Restaurant - they take last orders at 9.30 and we were the last to order, but there was no pressure to leave.
We were given Discount vouchers to go to the Memorial, a better discount than Senior Citizen rates, and there was plenty of tourist information at Reception. Didn't much like the look of the heater in the small bathroom, and managed to bang my elbow 3 times in the same place as there is an awkward step in! An ideal stop-over for catching up on emails, Facebook etc. and having a shower

Room Tip: Security on the ground floor is not good as the big window has to be open like a door from waist level or completely shut and there's no way to adjust the angle for just a little bit of fresh air...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Crocus Caen Memorial which I think is this one. This score would have been higher but when I arrived, admittedly later than expected just after 9, I checked in, put my bag in my room, brought in my laptop and came straight back down to eat in the restaurant - which did look nice. However I was told that the restaurant was now closed - I checked and it was just after 9:15. Which would have been fair enough if I hadn't later checked the room directory which said they served until 9:30. Which as there is nowhere obvious nearby to eat was particularly annoying. The room is OK - it smelt fine unlike the experience of other reviewers! The shower room is awkwardly tiny and when you flush the toilet loud gurgling noises come from under the shower which is a little alarming but didn't come to anything. The corridors and rooms are underlit and a bit gloomy. In future I would stick to the Campanile chain which have a lovely big salad buffet that makes their starter and dessert option a very good light meal - fries are even included. The price if you book more than 24hrs in advance is comparable and the room is better. Quick Palace was also fine but doesn't serve evening meals - but you know that and can plan accordingly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2013

OK - I wanted to break up a long journey across France - and I acknowledge that according to Booking.Com that I had booked the cheapest Hotel in Caen - but at almost £80 for two rooms (think UK Travel Lodge prices) and then a very expensive and poor evening meal and breakfast (which is hardly possible in France) then the price went up to over £200.
Yes the hotel looks modern , yes Reception are welcoming - but then it all goes down hill rapidly.
The area around the Caen memorial, is basically a business park and apartments - but easy to find (plus points) There is little choice of places to eat - which is why we chose to eat at the hotel. The food was very poor. The worse place we ate in all of France - and I always thought that it was impossible to find a really bad place to eat - compared to England.
The rooms were tiny, cramped and so very hot - which meant opening the window to its full extent. This allowed in many flying insects - one bit me on my eye (as well as very many other places) and in the morning I looked as if I had done several rounds with a professional boxer. At 2am - the local youths were out using the estate roads and roundabouts as a speedway track to test the limits of a motorbike and quad (all without silencers). My boys (12 and 16) were in the room the next door - and they closed their window (which meant that they were subject to suffocation) due to their anxiety of being vulnerable to anyone climbing (easily) in during the night.
We knew that whilst the Hotel was 24/7 - it had no staff present after 11pm - due to giving us a code to get in after that time. Therefore, no one too express late night concerns to re the nocturnal goings-on on of the local young people....a bit worrying!
Have to say that staff - when they were there, were great, and when I accidently booked 4 rooms rather than 2 via Booking.Com - (who did not send me a confirmation email) they were quick to rectify - but just a shame about everything else!
I have never given a hotel such a bad score before - but did not appreciate such a bad nights sleep, plus a half closed eye, prior to having to drive some 500 kms the next day - put a real damper on what had been a really good holiday in France.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Corinne075
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

We arrived to a nice hotel and a nice reception and restaurant area.
However as mentioned on other reviews, once behind this facard things go down hill quickly.
Dim and tired corridors leading to below par rooms that have seen much better days.
Loose electic sockets, plastic bathroom and a unpleasant odor does nothing to greet a weary traveller.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Michael G
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The pricing at this 'hotel' does not reflect its run-down state. There is adequate parking and the reception and dining areas are both acceptable, but when you go through the corridors to the rooms, it is dark, dank, dirty and smelly. The rooms are more basic than an army barrack room, dirty with a barely adequate shower and toilet. The bed linen was clean but felt damp and we thought we had arrived at a hostel for the homeless. We guess that most people are just passing through and, like us, can just about accept the condition for one night. On the plus side, a meal in the evening and breakfast were both good, but the eating area was infested with ants.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family