“Cheap & not so cheerful” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Bernieres
Ranked #37 of 41 Hotels in Caen
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Cheap & not so cheerful”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

This was one of the cheapest options, and I guess I got what I paid for. The staff were friendly and the hotel was very dated and not very clean. The worst part was that my 'private' bathroom with shower and toilet was simply in the corner of the bedroom with a fence around it. it was hardly private especially when the door to the fenced corner did not close or lock. it was a bit embarasing and uncomfortable.
However it was CHEAP so I can't really complain. I did enjoy my stay in the city of Caen and as budget holidays/ city breaks go It was a decent little place to stay for the money I spent. I may look to spend a few more £ next time to have a separate room with a toilet/ shower however.

Room Tip: make sure the toilet is not a fenced off corner of the bedroom.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CarldotYoung

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

When we arrived was offered choice of two rooms, first room was very dark. second was a bit brighter, shower room and toilet was just an extra room built into the bedroom, it done for the night as we were travelling on the next day. location was good for the town and marina. My Daughter and family also stayed at this hotel

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor over looking the street. My daughter and her family had the family...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Caen hotels

London, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

I stayed in this hotel last night and am still livid as I was robbed. I live near Caen and had arranged to see friends for dinner after a days sightseeing and shopping. I left my wallet and train tickets in my room as I did not want to take a bulky wallet out with me, just the requisite cash. I got in late and the next morning I discovered that wallet and train tickets had gone. I informed reception who allowed me to cancel cards and gave me ten Euros for train (someone had attempted to use card thus proving theft.) They did not bring the owner/manager, did not reimburse for price of room as it was obviously an inside job as rooms keys are in a place for all and sundry to see and I had informed that I would be arriving late to the staff and there is a code to get in late at night. Receptionist was young and ditzy...you pay peanuts, you get monkeys......

Shame as hotel is well placed but obviously not paying enough to the employees.....

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank bopeep17
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2007

The hotel had the feel of an old house. Everything was a little run-down (even the window didn't close properly). Only a curtain separated the washroom from the bedroom and it was difficult to adjust the temperature of the water in the shower. The staff was not particularly helpful. 25 minute walk to the train station, and 10 minute walk to the tourist information centre. The breakfast is not worth it if they ask if you want it included.

The price is a plus, though.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
5 Thank lowerstreet
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2005

Rooms smell of drains. I booked 4 rooms 10 months in advance and yet when we arrived the rooms were not available. It meant I had to find alternative rooms for some of the party nearby. They had clearly double booked and admitted my booking was earlier, but would not honour it, even though I had their guarantee in my hand. I was not allowed to speak to the owner directly. Don't do it!!! Book over the road at The Astrid, this was much more friendly.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank JRS23
PARIS
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2005

The only family room is at the 5th floor and no elevator. It's a very small room, the floor was so creaky and unstable my wife felt. The toilets stinks and the bathroom was not very clean. There is no privacy between this room and the next one. No parking.

• Stayed August 2005