“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Had an evening meal here based on other traveller reviews. Was very disappointed, maybe we ordered the wrong dish, we had the rib of beef for two and both found it tasteless. Served with either chips or jacket potatoes, dipping sauces bland, would not return.

2  Thank J0and

Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

It is well worth venturing off the main harbour-side, the short distance, to find this restaurant. I always visit this place when I come to Cherbourg and it never disappoints. If you like meat, good wine and a cosy atmosphere then you'll love it. It's good value for money and a very friendly atmosphere.

1  Thank SteveM27970
Reviewed 6 January 2013

By far the best place in town, if not in France for grill meat. The chef is a former butcher, so he definitively knows how to select and deal with meat. A very nice and cosy place with fire place and live cooking. Everytime I am in town, we go there with the whole family. Last month, we were a group of 10 and everyone was absolutely delighted. The manager, the Chef's wife is very welcoming and friendly. Everybody is only here to please you and ensure you will come back, we definitively will!

1  Thank SamAtlantis_Bkk
Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

Having browsed the reviews on Trip Advisor, and not wanting anything too formal, my friend and I decided on this restaurant and are so glad we did.

We reserved in advance, which is just as well as it was fully booked by the time we arrived. Even though our ferry was late and we wouldn't arrive until 2130 they were more than happy to accommodate us.

The main dining area is downstairs with the centre piece of the restaurant being the open fire on which the chef cooks the meat to order. There are some tables upstairs but I would recommend downstairs, watching your meal be prepared in sight of you is great experience.

The menu, available in French and English, isn't huge but there are sufficient starters and choices of meat to cater for everyone. Obviously not for vegetarians!

The main courses are offered with either chips or baked potato with salad also being available. As is quite common in many French restaurants, vegetables are not served with the meal.

The quality of the meat was absolutely superb, cooked exactly as I like it.

Service was friendly and efficient with multi lingual staff and the whole atmosphere felt quite homely.

Wine list isn't massive but as this is by no means a fine dining restaurant that's not unexpected. However we were still able to enjoy a wonderful Chataeuneuf du Pape which hit the spot.

If you are in Cherbourg and want a good meal at a reasonable price in a lovely atmosphere then I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough.

We will definately be back!

Reviewed 16 May 2012

£rd visit here and I think the portions have got bigger. Wonderful quality meat. My starter of chicken livers was huge and then a tender steak cooked on the open wood fired grill. Didn't have room for a dessert. Reasonably priced and very busy even on a wet Monday