“Old World Grandeur”

Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Deauville
Hamilton, Canada
“Old World Grandeur”
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Royal Barriere for 1 night in early September. The hotel is rather impressive as you drive up, it has an old world style and grandeur that is unfortunately disappearing these days. The reception staff were friendly, very efficient, and spoke excellent English, and likely several other languages. You must try to speak some French, as it is the most gracious thing to do.

The reception hall is very grand indeed, lots of red and gold, and fresh flowers. The ceiling height is dizzying, and you get a sense that you've gone back in time to a more genteel society.

The room was very large with very high ceilings, large windows that opened, fabric walls, and superbly comfortable beds! Decor was not modern, but I am glad it wasn't. I loved the separate room for the toilet away from the bathroom, it is practical, though a very small sink would be nice to wash hands. A sink the size they use in the trains would be perfect. There is a majesty about the place that you fall into without realizing. Wish I brought my clubs! Next time.

Breakfasts were amazing, choice was unparalleled, overlooking the golf course while the early morning mist was moving across the manicured greens was magical!

Wish my stay would have been longer, will have to return.

Stayed September 2013
3 Thank ljbrennala
Laurent-Roussin, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear bjbrennala,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your stay. I was delighted to read that you had a great time with us.

I have passed to my front desk manager your comment regarding the friendliness of her staff, thank you for mentioning it, as it is one of our biggest assets.

Looking forward to welcome you again.

Laurent Roussin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Upon arrival I was overwhelmed by hotel’s spirit. And special smell they create in the lobby using some nice perfumery added to that impression a lot! ))
The room was nice with lots of space for storage. As I was there only for a night I could not use it in full, but it was nice to know that I could’ve unpack and store there all my dresses as I really wished I had some with me!! )) The sea view also was a very nice touch. As my visit was very beginning of November, I did not pay any attention if there was an AC system or not. As I’ve seen in some other reviews, probably, there was not, but during my visit it did not bother me at all. I’d preferred to open the window and get fresh air in for a good sleep.
I’ve read some comments about separate toilet and bath but I really liked it. The bathroom was spacious and toilet being apart in a separate box allocated near the shower was nothing wrong with me.
As I understood from several Lucien Barriere hotels I’ve visited, it is a common feature to have doors connecting several rooms. You have a chance to lock the room from inside so no one can interfere (usually they are locked! ))), but also there is a chance that you can book several interconnecting rooms if you wish. And it sets you into dream being Susan Sarandon with a real suit and several rooms! ))
In the evening we had dinner set up for our group and it was superb. I am trying to be a foodie and visit special places if and where I can and I was very nicely surprised by quality of hotel restaurant.
Also I’ve enjoyed breakfast. Again it had an atmosphere, the view and the food! )) Nice choice of everything you might need, fresh, tasty, nice service.
I plan to return to have a nice weekend with my husband, to visit SPA which is 1 min walk, especially Algotherm close to hotel which I did not have a chance to visit.
I assume hotel has different rooms with different views. But I suggest having a sea view, to have dinner at hotel, to have full breakfast and move to SPA and then out for a walk. And then understanding of what is calm and happiness is shall come for sure, I strongly believe! ))
About hotel being “outdated” – may be all rooms are a bit different, depending on guests “wildness” in the past as I’ve paid special attention to tiniest details and did not find any discrepancies. So I wish to return soon and flow with the wind and atmosphere.

Room Tip: Get the room with a sea view!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank WinnerMoscow_Russia
Dear Winner Moscow_Russia,

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and even more pleased that that you plan to come back for another one.

I would like to point out again that not all our room have the same layout and decoration, some have separated bathroom and toilet some have not, some are interconnected some are not, do not hesitate to give us your preferences when you do your reservation.

I look forward to welcome you again in Deauville.

Kimberley, South Africa
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed there for cour nights attendinga conference . From reception untill i left found the staff very friendly [Anna handling my booking in was a star ] my room was great and only small issue for me was the rather expensive bar service .

Room Tip: If you can as high up as possible and a sea view for sure
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank BennievdW
Laurent-Roussin, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear BennievdW,

I was pleased to read that that you enjoy your stay at the Royal Barrière, thank you kindly for your great feedback.
I have noticed our bar prices !
Your satisfaction is our greatest reward.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We went from Paris to Deauville to have a place closer to the Normandy beaches, Bayeux and Mont Saint Michel.

Our 4th floor room was large, immaculate and had a balcony overlooking the casino. The walls were covered in fabric and the bed was extremely comfortable. The weather was great so we just opened the balcony doors for ventilation. There was a very nice box of custom chocolates by the bed when we arrived.

We had breakfast each morning at the hotel. It was excellent, a great way to start the day.

What did not work especially well was the bathroom. The toilet is located in a small closet off the entrance hallway. This would be fine except that the sink is located inside the bathroom and thus unavailable when the bathroom is in use. Given a room so well designed this was a strange oversight.

It's an easy walk from the hotel to the beach and the town.

The first floor of this hotel is beautiful and reminds one of the better hotels in the US. Also, language is not a problem and the staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CapitalReporter
Laurent-Roussin, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear CapitalReporter,

Thank you for your comment, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay among us. I was glad to read you appreciated your room and our breakfast service.
Regarding the bathroom it is true that some of our rooms have a separate toilet with no sink in it, this is due to the long history of the hotel and the many refurbishments over the years. We also have rooms with toilets inside the bathroom, do not hesitate to ask for them for future reservations.

I will be delighted to welcome you again at the Royal.

La Canada Flintridge, California
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The hotel was clearly very elegant in its time, and its public spaces are majestic. However, having a very large room with significant storage space did not offset the dated decor, absence of air conditioning and a very awkward bathroom. The bathroom crammed the toilet and shower in a separate adjoining room to the lavatory room, but there was a significant step up to the room with the toilet. This was a risk to those having to use the bathroom at night.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Peter L
Laurent-Roussin, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear Peter L

Thank you for your feedback.
While it is true that most of u rooms are a bit dated by today standards, we have already done 6 "test -rooms" in preparation for our full renovation programme.
Not all the hotel is equipped with AC, only our suits are, but we do have some mobile AC unit and fans that are available through the housekeeping had you asked they would have been provided.
Regarding the bathroom set up I am sorry you found it an inconvenient, I must say that you are the first guest to comment on that. We have other type of bathroom, do not hesitate to request it when you book a room with us.

I hope to welcome you again in Deauville to try some of our new rooms.

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This hotel is quite elegant and is definitely considered "shiek".
Our room was an oceanfront room which was very nice and very big. It didn't have AC (and we could have used it during our stay) which was noticeable only because there was very little breeze and it was quite warm.
The dining room was elegant as was the rest of the hotel!
A very nice hotel and one that we would definitely come back to if the opportunity presents itself!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ddschur
Laurent-Roussin, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear ddschur,

Your satisfaction is our greatest reward.
And I will pleased to welcome you again in Deauville.

london
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed here during an idyllic April week and the hotel is one of our fondest memories of a fantastic trip. The service was outstanding, the breakfast was amazing, the setting is gorgeous. We loved Deauville and the area, especially Honfleur. A memorable and happy visit!

Room Tip: We loved our beach view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear reader27,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I am particularly proud that you signalled the high quality of service and "luxury attitude" provided by our staff as this is to us the most important part of our work.
I am very happy that you enjoyed all aspect of your stay and I will be delighted to welcome you again at the Royal.

Laurent Roussin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deauville
Hotel Barriere Le Normandy Deauville
Hotel Barriere L'Hotel du Golf Deauville
Cures Marines Trouville Hotel Thalasso & Spa
Cures Marines Trouville Hotel Th...
#2 of 15 in Trouville-sur-Mer
Les Manoirs de Tourgeville
Les Manoirs de Tourgeville
#1 of 1 in Tourgeville
Augeval Hotel
Augeval Hotel
#4 of 27 in Deauville
Ibis Styles Deauville Centre

Been to Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville? Share your experiences!