“Majestic”

Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Deauville
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Despite arriving in an old and battered Renault that looked out of place next to the Bentleys and Aston Martins parked nearby, we received a warm welcome. We were even surprised when the manager walked by to personally greet us. Perhaps he was curious. It is probably unusual to walk up to reception and request a room without a reservation at this hotel.

We thought it was majestic and it reminded us of a bygone era. A beautiful lobby, spacious rooms, a grand restaurant and wonderful service. When internet service was slow we went down to the lobby.

The buffet breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rod L
D_Bauza, Directeur Adjoint at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Rod L,

Thank you for choosing the Royal Barrière for your stay in Deauville and sharing your experience on Trip A.

It is a pleasure for our team and I to read that you had a great stay with us. Your satisfaction is our priority.

You should know that all people are welcome at the Royal and it is always a pleasure for us to meet our new customers.

By the way, thank you for your comments regarding our "Majestic" hotel.

We look forward to welcoming again in Deauville,

Duty Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,292)

Reviewed 14 May 2014

In many ways a charming hotel with excellent location and friendly staff, but how can it claim to be a 5-star hotel without a (functioning) wireless internet service?

Poor value-for-money when considering the huge phone bill awaiting home as a result of the lack of this basic service you'd expect from a modern hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
D_Bauza, Directeur Adjoint at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Eystein K,

Thank you for choosing the Royal Barrière for your stay in Deauville and shared it on TripA.

We have taken note that you enjoyed our hotel and our staff for whom the customer welfare is important.

Regarding your comments about our wireless connexion, it is true that you have to pay for it in your room, this is a Groupe Lucien Barriere policy. However the connexion is free in the public area such as Bar, lobby...

We hope to welcome you again in our establishment,

Best regard,

Morgan Rubiard

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Found the Royal Barriere to be a throw back to magical time, full of grandeur... Entrance and "shared" spaces are majestic and staff are excellent.
Our room was very impressive in size with plenty of space for both my wife and myself and all of our luggage, however overall found it a bit dated.
However will gladly stay there again...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rene M
D_Bauza, Directeur Adjoint at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Rene M,

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.
It's a pleasure to read that you had a pleasant stay in our hotel.

Actually we seek to perpetuate the art of French living with magic and grandeur that it implied.

we look forward to welcoming you again for your next stay in Deauville.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This place is huge, I do not know why it is a 5 stars hotel. It is very old and unsafe. Not well maintain. The bedroom we had, had red carpet with design, the draperies were another color with huge flowers. The closet had three doors that was making noise whenever you would open them, difficult to reach the hangers( felt like they went to get this piece of furniture in a flea market ), poor hand table, not possible to put anything on them.
Every time you take a shower, the bathroom floor is wet, and the bathroom towels are old, bad smell.
Breakfast was ok, nothing fancy at all.
We had to pay for internet, and it never works.
I would not recommend anyone to stay there at all.
Not a good experience

Room Tip: Do not stay in Deauville, perhaps in Trouville, accommodations are less expensive and close to each...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bocabelle
D_Bauza, Directeur Adjoint at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear bocabelle,

First of all, thank you to have taken time to share you experience on TripAdvisor.

We have taken note of your comments which attracted all our attention.
Indeed our hotel is 100 years old and we are aware that it may seem old to some customers.
That's why, The Royal Barrière will be close for 6 months during this winter in order to begin a new period to renovate our rooms and bathrooms.

We sincerely apologize that your stay was not up to your expectations and we hope to welcome you in our new facility to help you discover the new Royal Barrière.

Morgan Rubiard

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Beautiful sea-view, excellent service, breakfast with no limits and good furnished bar. Valet service.
Rooms are very large, excellent and ultra large bed and bathrooms with bad and shower.
I f something has to be said in negative terms, the only thing I can find is the difficult procedure for WIFI and the bad connection except at the ground floor and conference floor.
9,5/10

Room Tip: Seavieuw of course, 6th floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
D_Bauza, Directeur Adjoint at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Roger B

Thank you to have chosen the Royal Barriere for your stay in Deauville.

It’s was a pleasure for my team and I to read yours positives comments about our product. Our customer service is our greatest pride.

We have taken notice about our procedure for WIFI and we will share this with our internet access provider.

With pleasure to seeing you among us for your next stay in Deauville,

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed at Royal Barriere for 1 night in early September. The hotel is rather impressive as you drive up, it has an old world style and grandeur that is unfortunately disappearing these days. The reception staff were friendly, very efficient, and spoke excellent English, and likely several other languages. You must try to speak some French, as it is the most gracious thing to do.

The reception hall is very grand indeed, lots of red and gold, and fresh flowers. The ceiling height is dizzying, and you get a sense that you've gone back in time to a more genteel society.

The room was very large with very high ceilings, large windows that opened, fabric walls, and superbly comfortable beds! Decor was not modern, but I am glad it wasn't. I loved the separate room for the toilet away from the bathroom, it is practical, though a very small sink would be nice to wash hands. A sink the size they use in the trains would be perfect. There is a majesty about the place that you fall into without realizing. Wish I brought my clubs! Next time.

Breakfasts were amazing, choice was unparalleled, overlooking the golf course while the early morning mist was moving across the manicured greens was magical!

Wish my stay would have been longer, will have to return.

Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank ljbrennala
Laurent-Roussin, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear bjbrennala,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your stay. I was delighted to read that you had a great time with us.

I have passed to my front desk manager your comment regarding the friendliness of her staff, thank you for mentioning it, as it is one of our biggest assets.

Looking forward to welcome you again.

Sincerly

Laurent Roussin

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Upon arrival I was overwhelmed by hotel’s spirit. And special smell they create in the lobby using some nice perfumery added to that impression a lot! ))
The room was nice with lots of space for storage. As I was there only for a night I could not use it in full, but it was nice to know that I could’ve unpack and store there all my dresses as I really wished I had some with me!! )) The sea view also was a very nice touch. As my visit was very beginning of November, I did not pay any attention if there was an AC system or not. As I’ve seen in some other reviews, probably, there was not, but during my visit it did not bother me at all. I’d preferred to open the window and get fresh air in for a good sleep.
I’ve read some comments about separate toilet and bath but I really liked it. The bathroom was spacious and toilet being apart in a separate box allocated near the shower was nothing wrong with me.
As I understood from several Lucien Barriere hotels I’ve visited, it is a common feature to have doors connecting several rooms. You have a chance to lock the room from inside so no one can interfere (usually they are locked! ))), but also there is a chance that you can book several interconnecting rooms if you wish. And it sets you into dream being Susan Sarandon with a real suit and several rooms! ))
In the evening we had dinner set up for our group and it was superb. I am trying to be a foodie and visit special places if and where I can and I was very nicely surprised by quality of hotel restaurant.
Also I’ve enjoyed breakfast. Again it had an atmosphere, the view and the food! )) Nice choice of everything you might need, fresh, tasty, nice service.
I plan to return to have a nice weekend with my husband, to visit SPA which is 1 min walk, especially Algotherm close to hotel which I did not have a chance to visit.
I assume hotel has different rooms with different views. But I suggest having a sea view, to have dinner at hotel, to have full breakfast and move to SPA and then out for a walk. And then understanding of what is calm and happiness is shall come for sure, I strongly believe! ))
About hotel being “outdated” – may be all rooms are a bit different, depending on guests “wildness” in the past as I’ve paid special attention to tiniest details and did not find any discrepancies. So I wish to return soon and flow with the wind and atmosphere.

Room Tip: Get the room with a sea view!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank WinnerMoscow_Russia

Dear Winner Moscow_Russia,

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and even more pleased that that you plan to come back for another one.

I would like to point out again that not all our room have the same layout and decoration, some have separated bathroom and toilet some have not, some are interconnected some are not, do not hesitate to give us your preferences when you do your reservation.

I look forward to welcome you again in Deauville.

Sincerly

Laurent Roussin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deauville
Hotel Barriere Le Normandy Deauville
Hotel Barriere L'Hotel du Golf Deauville
Cures Marines Trouville Hotel Thalasso & Spa
Cures Marines Trouville Hotel Th...
#2 of 15 in Trouville-sur-Mer
Les Manoirs de Tourgeville
Les Manoirs de Tourgeville
#1 of 1 in Tourgeville
Augeval Hotel
Augeval Hotel
#4 of 27 in Deauville
Hotel les bains de Cabourg

Been to Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville? Share your experiences!