Evaluation of overnight stay¹
Date : 23/04/2013 – 26/04/2013
Location : Hotellerie Vallon (Trouville-Sur-Mer)
Room number : 101
Summary : score : 3/5
Convenient hotel, focussing on bed+breakfast type of tourists, which can be rated in a top 3 stars – low 4 stars rating (european rating)¹. The hotel is located in the village center, near a train station, and a small fishing harbour, in between small 2-floor apartment buildings and houses. It’s biggest plus is the very convenient private parking in front of the hotel. It is an ideal base camp for car tourists visiting Normandy (northwise Honfleur – Etretat – Fécamp; southwise Caen and the WWII landing beaches). Price/quality is good.
Environment : score : 4/5
• Located in the center of Trouville-Sur-Mer.
• 500 m from beach.
• Close (few 100 m) to fishing harbour with resto and bars, casino around.
• Public transport : train and bus station nearby (500 m).
• Very well reachable by car, but not easy to find in the one-way streets.
• In between houses, but quiet.
• Very convenient private parking ! (Parking in rest of Trouville is not easy).
Outside : score : 3/5
• Outside of the hotel is clean.
• When arriving by car, indications to hotel are present but very difficult to find. Prepare arrival upfront via GPS or village map (otherwise your search may become a nightmare) .
• No taxi parking is noticed. Taxis nearby (train station).
• Next to the hotel is a ping-pong table, no kids play area noticed.
Reception : score : 4/5
• Service :
o Very friendly (eg. : inqueries on how my day was).
• Explanations :
o Received the key to our room, with clear indications how to reach it.
o Clear explanation on all the services and activities available in the hotel.
o No explanations of surrounding activities or nearby city visit.
• Speed : No needless waiting time. Quickly served at all times.
Parking : score : 3/5
• Located in front to the hotel.
• Free of charge.
• Not closed off by a lever or any other means of security.
• Mandatory to leave license plate information at check-in. Assumption is that parking is checked for “outsider” cars, and these are removed.
• Parking was clean.
• Parking spots are sufficiently big to park normal European family car.
• Entrance from parking to hotel is accessible without problems for disabled people.
Elevators : score : 3/5
• 1 Elevator of convenient standard, sufficiently big for multiple people.
• Standard quality and finishing.
• Limited in noise.
Corridors : score : 3/5
• Covered by full carpet limiting footnoise to an absolute minimum.
• Convenient automatic lighting. Regretfully the timing of the lighting is short, which resulted in ending up in the dark for a brief moment, as the next detector soon takes over. This happened several times.
• Walls are painted. Nice decoration.
• Very clean.
Room : score : 3/5
Room : double.
• Entrance via card key.
• Lighting is convenient, but just at the limit. Could be better.
• Sufficiently clean.
• Full carpet covered floors.
• Convenient purple-pink decorations throughout the room.
• Room at the end of the corridor (had requested quiet room).
• Radiator heating, no airco available.
• Room located at the side of the hotel.
• Small few m² terrace, with some inconvenient plastic chairs.
• Insulation : overall very quiet.
o Window : No traffic noise. No surrounding neighbours noise. Door/Walls :
Corridor noise only penetrates very faintly into the room,
Next rooms noise does not penetrate into the room.
Main disadvantage noise-wise is potential banging of doors automatically closing.
Faint noise from heating and bathroom ventilation.
o Sometimes some noise of undetermined source : personnel elevator ? (not at night).
• Bed : stable to hard matrass, pillows slightly soft, but 2 available per person, standard bed cover (duvet).
• No minibar.
• Water heather with tea and instant coffee.
• LCD television with sufficiently big screen (32 inch, I believe).
• No LAN connection, but WIFI in the hotel and desktop computer near the reception.
• Small paper notepad with pencil available.
• Extra chair+table.
• Room service available.
• Small convenient, inviting (decoration-wise), modern bathroom.
• Shower available, no bath tub.
• Separate sink with modern tap, big mirror and small hairdryer.
• Separate glasses (not plastic cups).
• Shower gel and shower cap available.
• Toilet is inconveniently placed. Left leg is against door. To sit conveniently, one has to tilt to the right.
Restaurant : N/A
• No restaurant in the hotel. Restaurant area only used for breakfast.
Breakfast : score : 3/5
• Breakfast area is convenient with large window, but slightly dark.
• Buffet style.
• French style, so not too elaborate.
• Few choice in types of bread, but different types of croissants.
• Warm (eggs, bacon,…) and 3-4 cold different types of meat salami, ham,… and 3-4 choices of cheese available.
• Few types of cereals available.
• Orange juice, milk, etc. available.
• Different types of tea, hot coco, coffee available.
• Personnel is friendly and professional in its service, but cleaning ladies in their outfit serving breakfast is not classy for this type of hotel.
• Newspapers available at reception.
Breakfast was included in the overnight stay.
Fitness : score : 2/5
• Separate dressing rooms for men and women is a plus.
• Different fitness equipment available for standard muscle training.
• Also some equipment for cardio training.
• Most equipment has a torn-out/worn-out look and absolutely did not invite to exercise.
Sauna : score : 4/5 (dress-code : swimwear)
• Lockers : Separate lockers available.
• Sauna : for hotel-only sauna’s, this is a rather big sauna !
• Seems to be recently build. Very good quality.
• Minus : separate basket with pour-on water is missing.
• Steam room : HUGE ! (for a hotel-only sauna), but I think the room is overdimensioned compared to the steam equipment (it is not getting sufficiently hot).
• Very convenient rain-shower type of showers.
• Free towels and bath-robe available at reception, slippers and swimwear is paying.
Pool area : score : 3/5
• Pool (about 12 m estimate) of convenient size with depths : 1m20 – 1m60
• Clean in and around.
• Separate jacuzzi available is a plus.
• Overdone on disinfection (chloride) in the water. The whole area smells like it.
• Few plastic long-chairs around the pool. Seeing the standard and rating of the sauna, these chairs could be of better quality.
Bar : score : 1/5
• The decor of the bar area is very nice, with sofa’s, big screen TV, a pool and billiards area.
• Extremely expensive : 6 euro for a 33cl beer is outrageous. No wonder there was never anybody in the bar area.
• Pool area : nice eight-ball pool and separate 3-ball billiard, but the cue were worn out and need to be replaced.
¹ : Ratings of this evaluation are subjective and depend only on a personal experience on the indicated date. They are indicative given the described context. The writer cannot be held responsible for an experience not according to above evaluation/rating.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Best Western Plus Hostellerie Du Vallon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Hostellerie Du Vallon Hotel Trouville-Sur-Mer
- Best Western Hotel Trouville
- Best Western Trouville
- Trouville Best Western