“Less than impressed!”
Review of The Mill House

The Mill House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playden
The Mill House
Ranked #5 of 5 Playden B&B and Inns
Dartford, United Kingdom
“Less than impressed!”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Nice b&b but almost impossible to find in the dark whilst driving along the road. Spent 15 minutes driving up and down the road trying to find the place. Once there a nice welcome and the facilities were adequate and met expectation. Was attending a wedding in Rye and was able to walk into Rye in about 20 mins. Wouldn't recommend this at night as there is no real footpath and the grass verge is very uneven.
First night advised Jen I was going to be late so could I have a key to get in which she provided and said she'd leave the light on if I could turn them off when I got back. No problem I said. Returned about 1o/c found no light on and on opening the door found the security chain to be on which prevented me getting to my room. No response to my knocking on the door so ended up spending a cold and uncomfortable night in my car which I had fortunately taken the keys for and not left in room as I had planned.
Received an apology but don't think this was quite adequate considering the situation. Felt uncomfortable arguing with what appeared to be a nice couple that reminded me of my Grandparents my fee should have been refunded but wasn't.
No repeat on the following night but spoilt what should have been a comfortable stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My husband and I made our first trip to England, and the village of Rye was our first venture outside of London. It was a little difficult to find, and we made the mistake of going to the wrong house at first, as we didn't realize the building actually contains two residences. As another reviewer pointed out, staying at the Mill House has the feel of staying in your grandmother's guest room, and that was okay with us. The price was right, the breakfast was hearty, and the surroundings were peaceful. And of course Rye is a treat. My only complaint was that I was cold all night, but in all fairness to the host, I never mentioned it to her. I'm sure she would've turned up the heat for us poor Floridians if we'd spoken up.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2011

My husband and I were greeted by Jen & Ray as if old family friends. We stayed in their homely, and extremely clean first floor spacious double room for two nights, and spent the evenings watching the sun set while listening to an array of classical music, provided in the room which we played softly on the lovely old fashion music stack system consisting of a tape deck, record and CD player.

The room was a wonderful haven, large, clean and every thing you need to settle soon after an arrival, as well as bedtime itself. It really felt like a farm house within a wilderness of what has to be a beautiful part of East Sussex and an artists or writers paradise.

Jen's ample breakfast kept us going well past lunch time! We had a full English on both days with scrambled eggs which we highly recommend, especially as the last order is at 10am - for those who wish an extra few more moments in bed.

Although Rye is no more than 15 minutes walk away and is a quite hamlet in itself, the real seclusion is at The Mill House where you can stroll within the large paddock attached to their garden.

We truly felt spoilt by Jen and Ray giving a five star service without the cold contemporary pretense that is so often served in what seams to be a clinical practice. They offer the comforts of a more desirable home from home, which they offer as softly as the feathers that are encased within their Egyptian cotton bedding.

We will certainly be visiting again before the end of the year.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Lake District
Reviewed 14 August 2011

This is a very difficult review to write as the owner, Jen, is such a lovely person - very welcoming and chatty. BUT ....... if they want to keep the Mill House as a commercial venture, some changes are going to have to be made.
The Mill House is situated outside Rye (not walkable due to the big hill) but in a lovely location. We were warmly welcomed by Jen and her husband on arrival and shown to our room on the top/second floor. I can only assume that other reviewers stayed in a room on the first floor as the descriptions of their rooms bear no resemblance to what we experienced.
Firstly, we were thought we had booked an en-suite room. Unfortunately the top floor room doesn't have an ensuite. It does however have a (very, very) small shower room next door which we were to use and we were told that we could also use the larger bathroom on the first floor. I'm afraid that I think my days of wandering the corridors of other people's houses to get the bathroom in my pyjamas or bathtowel are over and I didn't feel comfortable with this arrangement. Also, the shower room was so tiny that you couldn't sit on the toilet and close the door - some contortion was required. The shelf abover the tiny sink was cluttered with half empty bottles of shower gel etc that other guests had provided. Provide guests with new individual bottles of toiletries for their use or don't provide anything at all. I have to say though that the biggest problem with the shower room was a real health and safety issue. I have never before stayed anywhere where the light and the light-switch are inside the shower space. We were extremely alarmed by this arrangement and I think that this is extremely un-safe. I can't think of any qualified electrician who would do this.
The bedroom would have been a reasonable size if it hadn't been so cluttered. Jen obviously wants to provide absolutely everything for her guests but as a result it meant that there were no clear suffices or any room for guests things. The furniture was old (but not antique) and shabby and the rugs were stained and dirty. However, although the bed linen was not new or modern, it was clean. I'm afraid it was a bit like staying in your grannies spare room - and this is not the experience we hoped for.
Breakfast was very nice and there was a good selection of food on offer (but don't have the scrambled eggs!).
If staying at a B&B for you is all about the warm welcome and the friendly owner rather than the shabby furniture, cluttered rooms or health and safety issues in the bathroom, then you may like the Mill House

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here ask for the room on the first floor which may be better than the top f...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MGRob
Cambridge
Reviewed 20 July 2011

A large, attractive house in a quiet, secluded setting, conveniently close to Rye. Our rooms were comfortable and spacious, with beautiful views. The landlady was friendly and helpful, and the breakfasts were excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Kenton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

excellent breakfast, we were made to feel very welcome ,the room was just the right size and we felt really relaxed.we will be back and will recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2011

Just stayed for 2 nights whilst at a wedding in Rye. The welcome was lovely, a clean and tidy bedroom waiting for us after a long journey with all the facilities to make a needed cup of tea and fresh milk in the fridge not the little plastic long life things. The sun was shining and the view fantastic. Walked into Rye which took about 30 mins stroll and wouldn't be recommended if not able to walk far.
The breakfast was freshly cooked and was more than plenty. We were even given a lift into town for the wedding by the couple.
If we do visit Rye again, would definately stay here and for longer given the relax and hospitable atmosphere there.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roxi09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playden
The Lodge at Winchelsea
#1 of 2 in Rye Foreign
Jeake's House
Jeake's House
#3 of 39 in Rye

Been to The Mill House? Share your experiences!