“Musty & dirty - never again”

Auberge de la Claire
Ranked #31 of 32 Hotels in Honfleur
Reviewed 31 August 2011

The room had a musty smell and the worst of all, the bed appeared dirty: there was something black, a bit like sand, on the sheets and I wasn't too sure whether the pillow cases of the extra pillows which were in the wardrobe were clean or not. Moreover, the hotel is fair 15-20 minutes walk from the town centre. The price was quite cheap for Honfleur but I would rather pay more than sleep in a dirty bed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank HanneleD

Reviewed 26 May 2011

We were very pleased with this hotel. The facilities are basic but very clean, the beds are very comfortable, and the management was extremely helpful and friendly. We stayed in a quadruple room (11) which would be an ideal choice for families travelling on a budget. The hotel is an easy walk to the harbour or else about a 5-minute drive.
Do not stay here if you are looking for 5-star luxury, but if you are looking for clean, comfortable accommodation at the lowest price in Honfleur (as far as I could find...) then we highly recommend the Auberge de la Claire.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank aejgvancouver
Reviewed 25 September 2010

I guess you get what you pay for and there is always the option of upgrading but this hotel certinaly didnt add to the pleasure and attractiveness of honfleur. I see feedback on this site is polarised. We are clear that our experience was on the negative side. The accomodation is clean, but very basic. The building was tired and the service, although reasonably friendly, was also tired. If you stay, plan for a 20 minute walk into the town centre.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We booked this hotel due to the reviews on Trip Advisor, it was a mistake. We could not believe the hotel we saw was the same as the one all the positive reviews were written about. The hotel was on the outskirts of town, it seemed to have a split personality, half being a restaurant that appeared to be pleasant enough, the other half being a depressing motel type building. We were given a key to our room (15) and went up to check it out. It was small, drab, depressing and grim. It was easily the worst room we had seen in a 3 week touring holiday of France and Spain by quite a long way. We simply walked out and found another hotel. The best way I can describe it is that we wrote off our 75 euro booking fee rather than spend a night here. When I told the owner we were not staying he offered us the choice of 2 other rooms. If they had better rooms why did they try and palm us off with a small shabby room in the first place.
Do not even consider staying here, there are far better rooms nearer the centre of town at a similar price.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2010

This was a great place to stay in Honfleur. The hotel is beautiful and the location = just perfect.
Rooms are spacious and well furnished. Beds are very comfortable and everything was super clean. This is the first hotel ever that I found superclean - which is for me very important.
There is some kind of perfection in the environment, atmosphere of the hotel - nothing was too much trouble to arrange in this family run hotel, so you just switch your brain off and let the hotel take the strain!
I would definitely return to Honfleur and would stay at this hotel again. Highly recommended to us and from now on by us as well.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maris_CP_DW
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We did a family road trip nearing Christmas 2009 and we passed through Honfleur for one night before heading onto our final destination.

The hotel was nothing like we expected at first as I initally expected a grand lobby area and high chandeliers so was slightly dissappointed on first impressions however my opinions changed once we had checked in and were taken to our rooms.
The rooms were lovely, had their own individual character and I havent had such a good sleep in ages. The beds were amazingly comfortable and the shower fantastic. Very spacious and clean rooms and I could tell that the housekeeping team paid close attention to detail.

There was a wide selection to choose from for breakfast and a big round of applause to the chef who made superb dinners aswell.
It seems like a small family run business run by a charming young couple and we were treated like "family" rather than as a "guest" staying in a large chain hotel. It was a very "personal" feel staying here.

The hotel is located in a quiet and beautiful part of France and I would highly recommend it if you are in search of somewhere to escape for a night or two. Lots to see and do in the area too within an easy walking distance.

Highly recommend the chef's speciality Chocolate mouse which was the best I've ever eaten in my life!

Will definitely stay in this hotel again when I pas through France.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank AMJ31
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I stayed here recently with my partner as part of a surprise for his birthday. We visited France to learn more of the WWII Normandy landings (my partner is very interested in this part of history, and I was interested to visit Honfleur).
We had a wonderful weekend sightseeing and returning to Auberge de la Claire in the evenings to our very comfy and well-appointed room. We have stayed in many hotels in Europe and consider this to be one of the nicest due to the welcoming atmosphere and relaxed environment. As we (unfortunately) speak little French, we were very happy to be greeted by an English lady and her French husband, they helped us with a few French phrases but were able to speak perfect English when our linguistic limitations were reached.
Thank you for helping to make my partner's birthday weekend memorable, and we have already recommended this hotel to all our friends and family!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple