“Are there two of the same name?”
Review of Le Chat qui peche

Le Chat qui peche
Ranked #114 of 165 Restaurants in Honfleur
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Limassol, Cyprus
“Are there two of the same name?”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I can only think there are two restauarants of the same name - or else all these bad reviews are written by a rival restaurant! Over a two week visit in the summer we ate at Le Chat possibly 6 times because fom the first time we never had anytning but good food and service and a reason able bill. Not BTW because we are locals - or even French! The staff were helpful and friendly and we can't be the only ones to think so because it was always full to the extent that many late comers had to be turned away with a 'desole'. There are other slightly upmarket restaurants in Honfleur with better and bigger fruits de mer - but at twice the price. Le Chat is good French food at reasonable prices. And better yet 8 months later they remembered us and welcomed us like long lost friends. Don't be put off try it -if you can get in! But maybe you get what you give and if you are a snobby tourist you get treated like one!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Batista012

• Greek first
Hazlemere
“Huge portions, very busy due to coach parties but good overall if you take it for what it is”
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Recommended to us, we sought out this restaurant and I can understand some of the views here but would defend the food and service, at least on our visit. If you are looking for an expensive, dress-up dinner with fine wines, personal attention and silver service, go to one of the other, far more expensive, restaurants in Honfleur. If you want a laid-back meal where you're left to eat, drink and talk without constant interruption, try le chat qui peche. We had lunch here and ordered way too much food - moules marineres each (huge portions), seafood choucroute and fricassee of saint jacques, coffee and a calvados. A bottle of petit Chablis and Badoit - €96. When we arrived there was a Japanese coach party in the restaurant but we managed to find a table still, and I'm glad we did. Although the waiters were extremely busy, because we spoke with them they were light-hearted and chatty. After the first coach party came another, this time American, and there was no attempt to get us out to make space - we spent a relaxed couple of hours having lunch with our table guest (a goldfish in a bowl-original!) and the food was excellent and the portions huge. It may be that some of the other reviewers were expecting top-end cuisine instead of honest traditional food or more personal attention-in the case don't come here-go to Absinthe around the corner.

• Visited September 2011
North Yorkshire
“What a shame!”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My friend and I arrived about 6.30pm and decided that rather than commit to something immediately as we had only one night in Honfluer and did not want to compromise it with bad food, we would have something light. We, therefore ordered a bottle of house wine 15Euros, and a portion of Mussels and Chips at 12.50E to share. The Waiter looked at us as though we had just crawled out from under a stone! I explained we would probably order something else but for the moment we just wished to have a drink and something to keep us going until we decided on something from the main menu. (at this point I was going off that idea rapidly!) The drink and food duly arrived and was placed on the table without a word, the surly waiter was about to go and I noticed we had no bread - quelle horreur! I have never in my 12 years of travelling in France not received bread, it is just not done. I suspect this was another way of showing his contempt. He promptly brought bread and left us to it. The Moules were delicious, the chips ( all 10 of them) were quite nice too. The wine probably tasted better than it was because we were so grateful to have a drink. We ate our food, drank our wine and left, needless to say we left without leaving a tip. There are so many places in Honfluer to eat. some quite special and we are glad to say we found one very nearby, La Petite Boucherie, see my other Review. So the evening was not spoiled and what could have been a disaster was a triumph, but what a shame if visitors to Honflleur only ever experienced something like the The Cat who Fished, I am afraid, they might feel like the Cat should have thrown his catch back and found another more convivial fishing spot.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank CinquantNeuf
Arlington, Virginia
“A reasonable meal but be careful about your bill”
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Went there on my first night in Honfleur. The food is good--nothing spectacular nor is the service. However, I believe that I was given the wrong change when I paid for my dinner--realized it the next day so it was my fault for not checking. Only time this has ever happened to me while traveling in France. Even if it wasn't for the bill, I am not sure that I would return--I found much better places in Honfleur..