“Great small hotel”

Ranked #31 of 33 Hotels in Honfleur
Dunshaughlin, Ireland
“Great small hotel”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I spend 1 night in this lovely & romantic hotel in September 2010. I have to say that location is great and price even better. I can recommend this hotel to people with smaller budget but still wants to get a bit of comfort. Also they have free WIFI in the Lobby, just ask for password

Room Tip: Ask for nice room in the reception
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marcie_Podg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
York, England
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Only stayed here one night. First impression was that it looks lovely. A lot of work gone into improving an old french mansion. Unfortunately, whilst the fabric, beds, etc were all fine the plumbing left a lot to be desired. The supply of hot water was very variable. Other guests had minor problems with electricity and plumbing. The staff were helpful and friendly. It needs a lot mre work to bring it up to the standard it would like to appear.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MikeCJ
KY
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed for two nights at Castel Albertine. All the reception people were very nice and efficient, quick check in and out and plenty of information. Room was worn but clean. Mattresses need to be replaced. We had a room on the top floor and there is no elevator so you get some exercise climbing stairs. Unlike other reviewers our room was very quiet. Shower control was not the greatest, you had to work with it to keep a consistent temp. Location was super, close to the harbor & a grocery across the street. Good Wifi in the sitting room. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel but it is available for an extra charge. We did reserve one of the limited parking spaces for 10Euro per night. This was an average hotel but I would stay there again because the location was perfect for walking the old town and to have parking this close to the old town was invaluable.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank geekyD
London
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Good Points: location very near Port
Clean rooms
Nice view of garden (room 205)
reasonable value for area

Bad Points:
No noise barrier between rooms, you are at the mercy of your next door neighbour you can hear conversation and TV and noise travels in corridor but this can be resolved if you take earplugs.
Curtains are not lined so let all the light in, I like a dark room but this can be resolved by taking eyeshades!
two flights of stairs, one very steep , i am fit and young but still worn out at top! no offer of taking luggage up for you.
Tired, worn out decor
ask for parking space within Hotel when you book (I saw no option for this on booking website so had to park in street but was ok as got a free space but some spaces nearbyn are not free)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Honfleur hotels

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Calling this place a 3 star hotel should be a crime. I have stayed at other 3 star hotels in France and they were nothing like this place. If they ever gave negative stars, this is the first place on the list.

Other than the location, this hotel has absolutely nothing going for it. There is onstreet parking that is free and there is a locked parking lot for 10 euros a night. Park on the street. There are plenty of street lights.

Upon entering the lobby, the stench of smoke was everywhere. This is advertised as a non-smoking hotel and it certainly is not. When we approached the man at the reception desk, oh my was he put out that he had to talk to us. We were such an inconvenience. The man on the desk the next day was equally as disagreeable. In the course of the month that I've been in France, this hotel had the monopoly on rude male reception staff. No one has came close to these folks. The only bright spot was the charming lady who checked us out in the morning. We left very early because the rooms were just so hot.

Wifi was supposed to be available in the 'far' parlor. What wifi? I went to the wifi room and tried to connect for 30 minutes with no luck. Again, stinky smokey room so I really didn't want to stick around any longer.

Trapsed up 3 flights of stairs to our rooms (no lift or assistance here). My room was in the attic, under the corner of the roof. Slanted ceilings made standing up a challenge and I'm only 5 foot 6 inches tall. There were 3 small windows in the room; non opened except for a small slit at the top. I felt like I was in a castle lookout tower. They sprang for pricy window shades for these windows, so what's the deal here?

And hot? It was unbelievable. I wanted to rip the windows out of the sashes. We asked the unfriendly, unhelpful man at reception if he could turn down the heat. We received a withering glance and were dismissed.

The room was filthy with exposed wiring in the corner of the baseboard - made me feel really safe. The carpet was horrible, the bed rolled to the middle and was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in. The linens were gray and the headboard (cloth) was greasy looking and had a cigarette burn in it. I wanted to sleep in the car.

And the bathroom. What can I say. Filthy, smelly, moldy; tiny goes without saying, but I can live with small. I cannot live with filth. And there was this weird plastic skylight-thing bolted to a bit hole in the ceiling above the shower. On the oppositte side of the plastic, it looked like it ws covered with bugs. It wasn't well secured, so I could only hope that it didn't fall in. I put one of the see-through towels on the shower floor because there was no way I was standing on that floor.

Avoid this hotel at all costs. Sleep in your car, sleep anyplace but this place. If I could I would give it all zeros across the board.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank fannyfrance2010
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2010

The location of this hotel is very good and from the outside you are deceived into thinking it is a very nice hotel. As soon as I entered the lobby I realised that it was in serious need of updating. Everything about this hotel is shabby, carpets, curtains, woodwork, everything. The room was dirty, especially the bathroom and I didn't feel as though I would like to take off my shoes, which I didn't! The bed was small and very uncomfortable, the headboard had grubby marks from other peoples heads!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 5 January 2010

We booked this hotel for two nights, and stayed ONE night. It was totally misrepresented, small and cramped, hot with no window only a skyligh. It was like an attic room with the sides slanted inward. It was unbearable hot as the temperatures were in the high 80s outside, hot and stuffy inside with NO air conditioning or windows, unbelievalbly terrible. We had to go up several flights of stairs, no elevator of course! The manager or attendent (the only person we saw) was not friendly to say the least and we were totally overlooked. When we asked for a different room, he said there was none!

When we asked why the wireless computer service was not available as advertised, his answer was...."I am not a computer expert and I don't know" to us that was not acceptable for the price we paid, and he was very rude. We had to ask him to turn on a light in the lounge area so we could see our computer and he was reluctant to do so. This wireless service was advertised on their website also the rooms looked beautiful and were advertised as such, with a big window, clean and efficient, totally misrepresented in every way! When we arrived they put us in a room then changed us to another one was as bad as the first. He said they made a mistake and put us in the wrong room so we were moved supposidely to OUR room. . It was unbelievable hot and we would have left but we had driven all day and would have to pay for one night anyway with no computer service to find another hotel at the time.

We choose this place because it had parking and was in town, well that is the only thing in our view, that this place has going for it. We did not see any staff only this rude guy who would not even look at us when we approached him. I do not think two people in their 60s especially us would intimidate anyone. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We left at 4am to get out of there with about an hour of sleep, most terrible experience of all our ten years of traveling to Europe.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple