“Dont go to this hotel!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Appart'City Le Havre

and 1 more site!
Appart'City Le Havre
Roscoff
“Dont go to this hotel!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my son and my elderly neighbour after visiting the Normandy beaches where my neighbour had landed to lberate france in 1944. We had spent 3 nights in Caen at the premiere clas nord( highly recommended!) and the last night(saturday the 8th june 2013), at the apartcity in Le Havre. On the website it looks lovely, clean rooms very bright and well equipped. In reality it is a dump! filthy rooms, worn out fittings and decoration, smelt of body odour and smoke, and stains on the carpets etc. When booked, it included breakfasts, but as we returned the keys we were asked for 21 euro's for the beakfasts! A total rip off. The disaster does end there, after arriving, we decided to drive into town to get a meal and drink, and were harrassed by a french thug in a car, who pulled up in front of our car, gesturing hand signals, then got out and came to our car and was threatening, pulled open the rear pasenger door and assaulted my son. We quickly drove away and reported the incident. We were all totally shocked by this unprovoked attack and drove back to the hotel. The area outside the hotel is littered with rubbish and drug paraphanelia, drunks and drug addicts and would be gangster types in the streets. delapidated buildings with drug addicts directly opposite the hotel! There was at least 10 piles of dog mess in the street and road, and a frenchman was actually letting his dog do its buisness right outside the hotel entrance.
This place is definately one to avoid at all costs, especially for health and safety reasons. The french that stay here(mostly) obviously have no objection to this filthy place, so one can only assume that they are used to it!.
The whole of Le Havre is a filthy town, nothing on this earth would get me back here again, and to both myself and my war veteran companion, we are of the opinion that why did we bother to liberate these filthy ungrateful people.The pictures on the websites are not what you get, so anyone thinking of booking this, remember...........i have warned you!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
4 Thank mike m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Monterrey, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

It is not near the train station. The surroundings are like if you where in the middle of a unknown suburd. There are not interesting nor nice place to visit near the area. The sofa-bed was a little unconfortable.

As SkepticB wrote on his/her review, sundays might be close, but if you reserved through the appart city webpage, they should give you a code to enter the building and/or another code to open like a securitybox where your keycard is. (that's happened to me in the appart City of Bourdeaux, guess is the same for all).

But... is better is you stay somewhere else!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Le Havre hotels

NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

I made my reservation for Appart City Residence Le Havre online through HotelClub.com. I was looking for budget accomodations near the train station and this hotel was under $60. I requested a late arrival as I knew that our train would get in after 11pm. Once we arrived in Le Havre, it became immediately apparent that the hotel was not close (within walking distance) to the train station and would require a taxi. The taxi driver drove us through Le Havre to the hotel which took about 7-8 minutes. It is off of a main street and everything was completely dark. No street lights, no lobby lights. We asked the taxi driver to wait while we checked out the situation. There were no instructions for late-arriving visitors and the hotel was locked tight. We returned to the cab (now after midnight) and asked him to take us to the Sofitel near the train station. After a 25 euro cab ride in vain, we were lucky enough to secure a room at the Sofitel at more than twice the rate of the Appart City accomodations. The next morning I went to the hotel (seeing the dicey neighborhood for the first time) to find out why we had been locked out and the person at the desk greeted me BY NAME and informed me that "We're closed on Sunday". Why I wasn't informed of this during the reservation process is beyond me, as well as WHY they would accept a booking for a day they were "closed". I was further puzzled why a hotel would be closed on a Sunday. When I contacted HotelClub.com via email, I soon received a response saying that they had contacted Appart City Residence Le Havre and that I had "gained access and had stayed the night". I was aghast. I fired off an email informing them that I HAD NOT stayed the night but visited the facility and was told that they were "closed on Sunday". To their credit, HotelClub.com issued me a refund and the issue is now closed.

For anyone visiting Le Havre, might I suggest the Sofitel near the train station and avoid the nasty surprise of finding yourself at a dark, closed hotel after midnight in a dicey neighborhood in a strange city overseas...unless you crave that.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple