“Atmospheric, charming and good value”
Review of La Boulangerie

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rouen
La Boulangerie
Ranked #2 of 28 Rouen B&B and Inns
Zurich
“Atmospheric, charming and good value”
Reviewed 22 December 2008

I stayed at La Boulangerie for 3 nights with my parents (who are getting on a bit) and my sister. We thought it was great. The stairs up to our room were very narrow and twisty (as you would expect in an old building), which wasn't great for my mother, but the rooms were very comfortable and the breakfast provided each morning (fruit, orange juice, a selection of breads and jams, and your choice of tea, coffee or hot chocolate) was very nice. It was a short walk from the centre of rouen, in a quiet street which looks sort of dingy and deserted but at no point did any of us feel unsafe there.
One potential problem that we didn't face but others might - the woman who runs the boulangerie and the B&B sems to speak really limited english. We spoke french with her and everything was fine, but possibly if you have anything out of the ordinary to discuss with her, it might prove difficult if you don't speak french.

• Liked — the individual style of the room - not another generic hotel
  • Disliked — the tight, winding staircase leading up to it
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank wandathefish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Aussie living in London
Reviewed 10 December 2008

The pictures on the internet looked fantastic so I went ahead and booked and received an email confirmation for 2 nights. I left a message on their answering machine the day before to let them know my train would be late and also spoke to them on the day of arrival.

I turn up at 10.30pm and ring the buzzer again and again. I then telephone but it goes to an answering machine. I now resort to calling out in the street hoping they will hear me as the B&B is located in an isolated, narrow street and since I got a taxi there in the dark, I really have no idea where I am.

About 10 min and a few phone calls later, they let me in only to tell me they forgot to write my booking down. They quickly prepared a room that they had been sleeping/living in, however that meant no clean sheets, no clean shower and sharing a toilet with their children. The same children you can here running about in the evening whilst you’re trying to relax.

The location is also not central. It's on the edge of the city and a about a 10 min walk to the town centre - for Rouen, that is a huge distance.

When I went to check out I was charged full rate. I questioned this but unfortunately the wife didn’t speak much English. My taxi arrived so I gave up and left, however as I was running out the door she gave me 10 Euro back - from a 60 Euro per night room that was supposed to be clean and have an ensuite, I hardly think that is enough compensation.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo