“Well located dark roomed hotel”

Best Western Hotel Litteraire Gustave Flaubert
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Rouen
London, United Kingdom
“Well located dark roomed hotel”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Excellent location for exploring Rouen city. Staff very pleasant. Breakfasts pretty good - fresh fruit in the fruit salad for example. Have never anywhere before encountered rooms so dark and gloomy - sort of dark brown colour with purple woodwork and not helped by feeble low energy light bulbs. Bed firm but comfy enough, and was quiet at night. Virtually no storage space. Bathroom was lighter, but only 1 of its 3 bulbs worked on arrival. Bathroom towel rail electric heater didn't work. Shower excellent in our room (207 on 2nf floor if you're interested), but friends reported no shower curtain in theirs making it impossible not to drench everything. Was staying as part of a package, so tour operator clearly got big discount on listed room rates - which seemed high if paying full price.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank KGR_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
australia
Reviewed 24 October 2011

This is the second time we have stayed here. Despite negative reviews this is an EXCELLENT hotel. If you want a larger room ask for one. The rooms have been updated since we stayed here 2 years ago. They say the bathrooms will soon be updatd only. This is a PERFECT place to explore the beautiful old town.
Parking hint: if you arrive by car and putvthe address in a GPS it will tell you that it is in a street without vehicle access. Go to the barrier and press the blue button. The local police will answer. Tell them you are staying at the Best Western Hotel du Vieux Marché. They will open the barrier. Turn 1st right and right into the hotel car park. This will save you having to leave the carv at. The barrier and walking to the hotel to ask for the car park. (This can be a bit daunting if you are at the barrier and someone else is behind you!)
Overall this a a fantastic hotel. Take no notice of the bad reviews!!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank brianandgail
Plymouth
Reviewed 8 October 2011

The good news is that this hotel is in an excellent position just a short walk to many excellent restaurants, shops. tourist attractions and, as the name suggests - the old market. Now for the bad news....most bedrooms are decorated in a dark, dreary and depressing shade of brown with matching brown paint on the woodwork and coordinating dark brown net curtains with grubby (and smelling of cigarette smoke) red curtains. My husband said it was the first time he had stayed in a room where he couldn't read a book or newspaper in the room - either in daylight or with one of the feeble red shaded lamps switched on! Apart from the dark room, we were next door to a 'store/linen cupboard' with a very squeaky door. For some unfathomable reason the cupboard was in use at 4 o'clock in the morning for the 4 nights we occupied room 102 (1st floor). If the staff needed to access the cupboard for linen at 4 am they have our sympathy for their early start, but we felt a bedroom should not have been next door to something in constant use during the early hours.

I can imagine one of the British tv 'Hotel Inspectors' having a field day with this hotel - it could have been so much better with a little more effort. The beds were comfortable and bed linen good but small thin off-white towels were a disappointment. Fairly basic aspects were neglected, i.e. poor housekeeping, general 'grubbiness' and apart from a
curtained alcove for hanging clothes, no actual drawers for underwear, socks etc and no decent mirror (in good light for make-up/hair).

The entrance to the hotel was poor, half dead plants outside gave a bad first impression and cars were parked across the entrance. Guests needed to walk through the dining area to reach the lift or grubby staircase. The breakfast area was over-crowded and unattractive and the food was typical of a 3 star below-average hotel. No variation, each day we had same 3 cereals, same flavour yoghurts, same cheese and ham and below average croissants. (Shame, as the quality and range of bread, pastries etc in the nearby shops was superb).

We needed to report that the room key had stopped working on 3 occasions and each time found no one on duty on the reception desk. The light switch was loose and could be dangerous (bathroom light) and again we couldn't find anyone on duty.

The old adage is true...."You get what you pay for" and this is only a 3 star hotel after all. I would not recommend it and would hope, with a bit of research, anyone planning a visit to Rouen could find somewhere nicer. If not, avoid room 102!

Room Tip: Avoid room 102 on 1st floor and all rooms on ground floor
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PlymouthJennieB

Travellers are raving about these Rouen hotels

ATHENS
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We stayed in Best Western du vieux Marché on August the 6th for 2 days. The “standard” room we have booked was extremely small. Therefore we asked for a bigger one. They gave us one with an extra charge. The word “upgrade” is unknown to this hotel. Since there was no “confort” room available (the next category and therefore a little bit bigger), they placed us to a “priviledge” room (the following category) for which we had to pay another 85 Euro per day! A very expensive deal for a 3 star hotel. We arrived at the hotel around 3pm. At that time the only existing elevator was constantly occupied by the cleaning ladies, who went up and down continuously and made a great noise by talking loudly to each other. They saw us at some point waiting for the elevator along with our luggage, but they did not bother at all. They carried on. At some point I had to squeeze myself with one of them in the cabin together with my suitcase and the laundry. A nightmare!
The room itself was quite dark and hot since there was no air-conditioning, but quite clean.
Breakfast is served on the weekends until 10.30 and the rest of the days until 9.30. This is a policy that I do not understand since when you are on holidays, every day is the same... It is a policy created for the employees and not for the clients. By mistake we presented ourselves on a working day around 10am and unfortunately there was nothing left. Yet, they were polite enough to bring us coffee and something to eat.
Apart from that the hotel is ideally placed in the center of Rouen and it has both open air and undergrad parking facilities. The only drawback is that it is placed in a pedestrian area and it is necessary to speak to the police to enable a bollard in the road to be lowered. Rouen is a small but pleasant city, worth visiting.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I stayed here for one night (Friday) in early September, en route further south. As other reviewers have noted, the hotel is centrally located, on the west-side of the Old Town pedestrian area. Having checked our maps in advance, we easily found the hotel, which was clearly sign-posted. On driving into the courtyard from Rue du Vieux Palais we found all 5 spaces occupied, so we had to drive into the lift and take the car down into the basement where there are several more spaces. The car park costs €10 a day. Check-in (at 5:30pm) was quick and easy, and the receptionist warned that the hotel was full that night with a large group arriving later. She advised having a late breakfast to avoid the rush.
The room was small, with a double bed, one small bedside table, desk and equivalent-sized bathroom. It overlooked the court-yard. Despite it being a “Smoking” room (which I didn’t ask for) there was no smell of smoke, everything was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The main problem was the very low lighting levels in the bedroom. With four very low energy bulbs (11W - equivalent to 60W conventional bulbs), even with them all switched on, there was barely enough light to read comfortably. The TV had 20 or more channels, but the listing showed the only English language one to be the specialist CNBC Channel. However, next morning when channel hopping I found that the BBC World news channel was also available even though it was not listed.
Breakfast, priced at €13.50 (I think it was) if bought separately, was a disappointment. Not a proper breakfast area – the buffet food was displayed on trestle tables, which needed several unsightly extension cables to supply electricity to the tea/coffee urns, toaster, hot plate, etc. It was a cold continental buffet with supplementary eggs and sausages. No fresh fruit, though there was some dried fruit alongside the cereal selection.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Arandale
Tel Aviv
Reviewed 12 August 2011

This was a night i won't forget.
It all started after going round and round old city Roeun trying to find a decent hotel.
Most places looked shabby and this 3 star hotel stood out, as it is in a new building and lobby and the room looked very nice. The location was the best, on the old market square. Price was very high but It was ok by me as it looked rewarding, And rewarding it was, but not a in a good way...

Me and my wife got in the parking lot (not free) and got a room on 2nd floor.
Room looked good and clean, but a few lamps didn't work, so I called reception. A lady came and replaced the worn out light bulbs. After dinner we came back to the room. I was going to take a shower, held the shower head in my hand, and turned on the hot water. All of a sudden the shower head blew up,the hose started to run wild between my hand, Very hot water splashed around the bathroom and into the bedroom. I got a grip of my self and closed the water. The clothes in the room was wet and my hand was cut by the metal coil around the hose. It was bleeding and my legs was burning from the hot water. Very angry I went down to reception desk. I showed the lady there my bleeding hand and told her what happend. She appologized and said we'll be given another room, a larger one.

We went up to the forth floor.This room was very large and nice, with few windows and nice light fixtures. I tought all bad were behind me but I was wrong. My wife called me to come to the bathroom.
I was shocked. There were feces smeared on the toilet sit. Again, I called the hotel's reception to come and see the shamefull state of the toilet.
She was shocked when she saw it, appologised, and we were moved again to the other big ("Executive") room.

I'm getting tired of mentioning all the faults. But i will keep with it. In the other rooms the bulbs above the sink didn't work. The sink was clogged and water didn't went down the drain. After and hour I came back, the water went down the drain and left all sorts of disgusting particles around the sink. Anyhow, we had to use the shower instead of the sink. I was tired of calling reception. So we just went to bed.

At morning I went to talk to the reception lady. She appologised and we didn't had to pay anything for our staying. I have to say that the reception people were very nice and helpful. They are not to blame for this hotel's shamefull maintenence state.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank honorbak
London
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Good location for you if you want to meander the streets of Rouen or visit the nearby Joan of Arc museum. Rooms clean and comfortable; breakfast good and as long as you have a satnav you'll be alright negotiating your way into the place!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family