“Unpretentious good value hotel”
Review of Hotel Morand

Hotel Morand
Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Rouen
Paris, France
“Unpretentious good value hotel”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

This very well situated establishment offers spotlessly clean, pleasant rooms at a very affordable price. It is a stone's throw from the majestic looking train station and within comfortable walking distance to the lovely Cathedral and old town centre. There is a hospitality tray which is most welcome on a cold autumnal evening. The bathroom is small but perfectly formed, i. e. modern, functional, with good hot water and also a hair dryer. Breakfast is quite acceptable, with fresh crunchy baguette, croissant and some processed cheese. My only quibble is the lack of net curtains in the room which means you cannot get any privacy without drawing the heavy curtains and switching the lights on. So all in all a convenient inexpensive place where I will be coming back to explore the city further.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank vic_ok
THOMAS L, Propriétaire at Hotel Morand, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear vic_ok,
Thanks for leaving us this Great feedback.
I see precisely who you are and i want to thank your sincerity but almost your objectivity concerning this review.
You told to travellers the simple truth : A good value for money ! yes , it's what we are here ....
Concerning your remark towards our curtains , i want to precise to other travellers that we do not have a problem of intimity here due to the fact that it's a very quiet area and they are no more neighboors here and moreover all our rooms are equiped with blackout curtains ( allowed in 2 star classification ) . However , i know that a veil curtain could be a good improvment that's why i will think about it ! thanks for your remark ! that's also Trip advisor's purpose : help us to improve our level services again and again !
It will be a pleasure to host you again , thanks one more time !
To conclude , always book on our official website and like us on social networks we will offer you between 10 an 35% discount if you help us with direct bookings !
My name is Thomas , i own this property , why don't you call me directly to book your stay ?
Please note my Direct Line : +332 35 71 46 07
Yours Sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Rooms, clean and functional, good value for what we paid. Good location. Staff friendly and helpful. So hard to find, almost ruined the trip for us. Better directions and map needed. (stayed 2 times in one week period, and had difficulties finding hotel both times!)
Would probably stay again if I thought I could find it!!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
THOMAS L, Propriétaire at Hotel Morand, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Carol L,
I remember you ! Thanks for sending us back our roomkeys !
Thanks for your review.
I don't really understand your remark concerning our location ...hard to find ??
Our hotel is near the main train station ...downtown...
Let me give you an advice : next time , book on our official website we have a full page named "access " with directions (better than those supplied on online travel agencies) , complete map and even a little tool who calculate your personnal itinerary...
Of course , you will pay also less on our official website ! up to 25 OFF on all our room rates !
Thanks again
T LOUIS
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

... because 'charming' and 'old world' and 'quaint' can also mean rundown and needs help!

However, you have to remember this is a very cheap hotel in a very old higgeldy piggeldy building in an old part of town. Yes - there is no soundproofing so you can hear everything in other rooms (let alone the traffic) and yes the toilet / shower has been squeezed into the room, but they are hot and efficient.

My only concern - a general concern with TA - is that I must ask Tripadvisor to put on a 'button' that allows reviewers to specify the parking situation. Please suppprt me in my endeavour! I arrived having booked it as a stopover to find nowhere to park as on street parking was a maximum of 4 hours so I had to chance it and worry all night. had I know in advance I might have booked elsewhere.

Apart from that it was central and easy to walk to all the important historical sites..... and it was cheap which is all I want from a stopover. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly - even offered to print up my ferry crossing ticket for me - very kind!

Room Tip: Don't come by car!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Arkay56
Dear traveller,
Toemin Maybe ? 2 reviews for one stay ?A little bit rude for us , what do you think ?
Trip advisor will decide if we keep your review.
Thanks for leaving us a feedback.
Let me reply to your remarks.
When you have booked our hotel it was precisely written :
"Hotel Morand is not adapted to receive people with reduced mobility. Moreover Please note that the hotel does not have a lift and the rooms are not soundproofed."
also:
"The 17th-century hotel Morand is located ....."
Next , In your room several outlets were available ( your remarks are false ) and the separated toilet was absolutely not in a cupboard ! Is a mistake from you ?? cupboard ??very original ...
Then , you have paid 7.50€ for your breakfast , you have to know that in worlwide Hotel industry , you can enjoy eggs and fruits for a higher rate ( 10-23€).
Concerning other remarks , i will not reply , i think travellers will understand ...
Travellers should read other reviews because yours seems to be strange ...
You have stayed in a 2 star Hotel for 50 euros . Everything is here ....
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

Welcome was nice, although there is no elevator. The room was higgledy-piggeldy. Bedlights can not be operated from the bed. There was only one outlet to charge a phone, and it was at difficult to reach spot. Toilet is in a cupboard in the room with no ventilation. Showerhead has to be held with one hand. With breakfast, there's nothing fresh, no eggs or fruit.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Toemin,
Thanks for leaving us a feedback.
Let me reply to your remarks.
When you have booked our hotel it was precisely written :
also:
"The 17th-century hotel Morand is located ....."
Travellers should read other reviews because yours seems to be strange ...
You have stayed in a 2 star Hotel for 50 euros . Everything is here ....
Reviewed 7 September 2013

It is quaint, well-located, affordable and the staff were very friendly. I can see why others like it but it was not for me -- I couldn't sleep. The building is old and, as they readily admit, not soundproofed. If you are a somewhat light sleeper, you will have problems sleeping here -- you can hear room neighbors' showers go on, cell phones go off, conversations in the hallway, creaking of the floors, etc. Another problem on the sleep front is that the mattress was as firm as a futon and the pillows weren't pillows but that long "uni-pillow" thing that is terrible for side sleepers. Between the noise and the bed, I barely slept.

I might also add that this is an old and retrofitted building. For example, the floor in my room was badly warped/pitched. I would not be surprised if there was a drop of 4-5 inches over the span of 10-12 feet. Electric cable runs in channels over the walls, the toilet is in a separate "room" apart from the shower (and raised up of of floor level, I assume to accommodate plumbing), etc. This is no big deal if you don't mind a little extra "character" but it is worth noting. I actually thought the appearance of the hotel was appropriate given its proximity to the old city. It feels rustic, mostly in a good way.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear BR1999,
Thanks for your review , it's good to read:

"It is quaint, well-located, affordable and the staff were very friendly. I can see why others like it but it was not for me "

I think that everything is said in your short first sentence...
I have to contest your remarks because most of them are false ( matters , pillows , ....)
1-Matters is firm ,yes , because i have bought it last year and 95% of my customers likes it ....better for your back , isn't it ? . It's absolutely not a futton but a good matter !
2-Pillows were in the cupboard...like courtesy set / wifi and all our services not quoted ...
3-Our building is a 17th century coaching Inn !when you have booked here , everything was precised ... i will not reply to other wrong statments .....travellers will understand that this hotel was indeed not for you....For 50 euros per night , seriously sir , what did you expect ?
Regards
Goring-on Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Rouen was wonderful and the location of the hotel very good. Value for money it was fine. Breakfast okay. Nothing matched the enthusiasm of the owner to be helpful ensuring we had the best visit possible. Yes we would return but not to room 10 - I just fitted in the loo (am 5ft/7stone) imagine the fun/struggle my poor husband had (6ft5ins/16stone)!!

Praise MUST be given to the lady what did! Because she did everything - serving breakfast, cleaning all the rooms, laundering etc, an absolute treasure.

All in all a very successful stay. Helpful note underground parking behind hotel and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Avoid room 10 if you are large!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
THOMAS L, Propriétaire at Hotel Morand, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear jill j,
Thanks so much for your kind review. I will forward to my staff and we will pursue our efforts to improve again and again our satisfaction level.
I want to inform travelers that we are going to renovate this winter room 10's Bathroom to solve the issue quoted. That's true , the space between the shower and the toilet isn't wide ...
To help us , Book on our official web site to redeem the cheapest offers from the web !
For instance , on our official web site you can save 25% on room rate opposite to travel agencies !
best regards
T LOUIS
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Small, family run hotel I used twice during a recent tour of France. Only two star so wasn't expecting much, rooms were small but had everything (a bed and a shower) that I needed. Staff were friendly and helpful. No lift, so no good if you can't do stairs, and Rouen is full of one-way streets so a good map or satnav is a must to get to the hotel. Small (€3) discount if booked through their website rather than a booking one.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank GeoffSoltau
THOMAS L, Propriétaire at Hotel Morand, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear GeoffSoltau,

I see precisely who you are . It was a pleasure to welcome you and i would like to thank you for that kind review.
Thanks also for advising other travellers to book on our official web sites to redeem best offers than on line travel agencies ! We offer indeed 5% on each room rates and at each dates on our official website (linked here).
Travellers have also to know that on our official web site , we add recently spectacular unrefoundable offers up to 25% on room rate !
Concerning our developpement we plan to continue our efforts ( a renovation program will continue during this winter , like last year , see on our official website the article ...) to get the Trip advisor Certificate of excellence again !