“Great stop over, clean, spacious and very safe parking”

Novotel Suites Rouen Normandie
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Rouen
GreenLeadersBronze level
wrexham
“Great stop over, clean, spacious and very safe parking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here en route to Bordeaux, handy location. Very friendly staff, secure key coded basement garage, large modern clean room, loads of amenities. Comfy beds, powerful shower, fresh clean towels, tv, wi-fi quick. Easy walk into old centre, tons of great restaurants. And restaurants 100mtrs on quay if needed, looked clean and wholesome. The walk along the quay is very pleasant.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Greek first
norwich, uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I actually really liked this hotel.

Beds comfortable, staff very friendly and helpful, a hot bath (bliss) and really close to the center or Rouen.

Rouen was beautiful- I will go back for a weekend to explore more and wander the streets.

My only gripe was breakfast. not worried about the no hot option, and I like continental breakfasts, but there was just such a little choice it was disappointing.

If you need the car park its 10 Euros per night. Pay before you book in at reception. Felt safe and secure to leave a car full of holiday goodies overnight.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

All the benefits of a Novotel suite. A good sized family room, comfortable beds, clean functioning bathroom and good additional equipment. Hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the centre. A few points to consider - air conditioning was rather weak. Reception lacked a bit in terms of customer service but staff at breakfast were excellent. Main issue was that the communal areas (corridors, lift etc) were looking a bit scruffy and marked, not what you'd usually see in a Novotel. But otherwise, a good stay.

Stayed August 2014
Uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife, 8 year old daughter and I stopped overnight in Rouen on the way back to Calais from the West coast of France. The hotel was fairly straight forward to find and then to leave Rouen the next day. There was free wifi and secure parking (cost 10 euros per night): you need to park on the side of the hotel and check in to get the code for the car park. We had a suite, which has Novotel's kind of pod bathroom / furniture approach: it had lots of room, was clean and had a very comfortable bed. Breakfast was ok, but at 15 euros per adult was expensive and busy.

The hotel is almost next to the Seine and there are 2-3 restaurants near by. We didn't go into the city centre, mainly because we were told at reception it was about a 20 minute walk.

Sadly the good room and free wifi were let down by the lack of staff at the hotel. We had to wait approximately 15 minutes to check in as there was only one member of staff, who was dealing with a customer problem and so we had to wait. At breakfast there were 2 very hard working staff, but again I couldn't help feeling things would have gone more smoothly had there been more of them.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
SUITENOVOTEL76, ASSISTANTE DE DIRECTION at Novotel Suites Rouen Normandie, responded to this review, 30 September 2014
Dear QUINGWA,

Thank you for your comment and for all the information you provided on our property.
Concerning employees on the job during your stay, we needed to provide the necessary number of people but the activity can change quickly depending on the weather or other events beyond our control.
Also note that our hotel is 15 minutes walk from the city center of Rouen and less than 5 minutes by bus, stopping it is 100 meters from the hotel. Of city maps are available at the front desk as well as "virtual doorman" (large format interactive tablet) you can find more information about the city, tourism, weather ... etc.
Please excuse us for the inconvenience during your stay. We promise to be even more vigilant and responsive to the points mentioned in your comments above.
Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in our hotel.

Sincerely.
Cradley Heath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Booked this overnight stop thru booking.com on a bed and breakfast inclusive price. Travelling from Bordeaux to Calais we found this a good location for an overnight stop. We advised the hotel via email our estimated arrival time.

On arrival we could not access the underground car park to the side of the hotel building, a code is needed. Surely such a simple fact is missing when booking, I left our driver and passengers at the entrance to car park while I whisked away to reception for the code as no one was answering the intercom. Not a great start. A separate code is then needed to get from the car park to the hotel via a lift, which was also not given, despite my visit to reception just moments before. A problem we saw repeated many many times to other guests during our stay.

At 3pm , and after a long journey, we expected all 3 rooms to be ready for our party of 8 (3 children 5 adults) but were disappointed and waited 20 minutes while the one staff on duty dithered about with allocation. Is there a problem ? I finally asked when no explanation was forthcoming and was then given 3 rooms each on different floors, due to no housekeeping yet with the original rooms. Also was not happy that I did not have the visa card I had prepaid in full with and made much fuss and in the end settled for passport ID before releasing the keys.

I asked where we could go for a family meal close by as it was raining heavily and were pointed to the brasserie over the road from the hotel. We ran as quickly as possible in the rain, not easy due to central barriers in the road, to find no food service until 7pm here. I was really beginning to dislike the staff at the Novotel Rouen.

Breakfast was a huge disappointment, no on site restaurant means just a continental style very limited, boring and just not worth the effort or the disproportionate £15 euros charged. The breakfast layout is un necessarily drab and unappealing, with canteen style lift up hatches to reveal cheese, ham etc. I don't think it is made clear enough what breakfast is being offered for the money.

We had a comfortable night sleep, and enjoyed the free film selection on TV, our room for 4 had 2 small milk, 2 biscuits and 1 bottle water, not suffient for number of guests. Didn't like the small separate toilet, very limited space but the overall experience was spolit by the service received from the staff. Checkout after breakfast was slow as the reception also clear tables etc and the bill was wrong charging for breakfast again which had to be removed. A complete opposite experience to other Novotel I have stayed in the last few years in the UK and also just last week in Le Mans, lack of consistency here really lets the brand down.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
SUITENOVOTEL76, ASSISTANTE DE DIRECTION at Novotel Suites Rouen Normandie, responded to this review, 29 September 2014
Dear Debra Zebra

The concept Suite Novotel is actually different from the Novotel but it is equally comprehensive and services we provide meet quality standards as strict. The offering breakfast improvements have already been made. We added muffins, pancakes, various types of cheese and fruit salad, among others and in addition to everything that was already present. Every day we do the necessary so that the quality of it remains constant and we strive to offer quality products.
I understand your annoyance for access to the car park but we can not communicate the code of the parking lot before the arrival of customers because we have a limited number of places and also for safety issues. It also allows us to make initial contact with our customers.
We are very sorry that your stay with us was not up to your expectations and hope to welcome you back so you can change your mind.

Kind regards
Crewkerne, Somerset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed one night here on a quick visit to the city. The room was a good size on 4th floor. The bed was comfy and there was a kettle, sink,microwave in a small kitchenette area. The bathroom/toilet was, however, one of the "pod" types. These are basically plastic boxes fitted in the corner of the room. The bathroom side was quite large with a bath, separate shower cubicle and wash/hand basin. Being plastic, it flexed when you moved and it all felt a bit creaky and unstable - like a caravan. I have to say that the hair dryer was probably the most useless I had ever seen. It was a tube attached to the wall and relied upon the tube being pulled upwards for the fan to work. OK unless you're short like me! I could not keep the thing running unless I stood on tiptoe & held my hand above my head. The toilet part was separate but was about the same size as an airline toilet. The extractor fan didn't appear to be working and it was so hot that you emerged dripping with sweat after using the loo. A very unpleasant experience. Breakfast was OK but not so good if you are gluten free like me. I could have yoghurt, cheese or ham. I tried the egg boiling bath but the water just didn't seem hot enough so after about 7 minutes I still opened a raw egg, didn't bother to try again as my husband had already finished his meal. Coffee was good from a machine and there were paper cups if you wanted to take one out.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
SUITENOVOTEL76, assistante de direction at Novotel Suites Rouen Normandie, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Dear Masonmou,

As you have described and I thank you, our rooms are well equipped. Regarding the bathroom, hair dryer and toilet we respect the Charter Suite Novotel. I am sorry that the concept is not for you but as you can see, we are taking action every day to make our guests feel their best in our suites. Thus you could find a courtesy tray including cereal bars, tea, coffee and sweets. For a future stay, do not hesitate to call our staff with any problems ventilating, cooking eggs or anything else, we are here and ready to help you 24 hours 24. Hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards.