“Great food and service, atmosphere a little cold”
Review of Le Grenier a Sel

Le Grenier a Sel
Ranked #10 of 329 Restaurants in Le Mans
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Paris, France
“Great food and service, atmosphere a little cold”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We stopped here on our way to St Malo for a latish supper and we were warmly welcomed. The food is quite good, with varied choices (I think even vegetarians could find nice choices on the small but eclectic menu) and the presentation is lovely. The service is impeccable as well, and prices quite reasonable.

Our only reservation (and yes, I'm being a bit picky, but it's kind of a shame) was we found the atmosphere a little cold - the decoration is tasteful, but very cold. There's no focal point, and the lighting is cold. There's simply nothing "cozy" or intimate about the place. Perhaps at one of the 2-3 window side tables it's different.

We were there for a romantic dinner, I imagine for entertaining clients or if you're there with a larger group, this would not be an issue.

As we were on the road, they were kind enough to keep the kitchen open until our arrival, bait after their normal closing time, and didn't hurry as when we arrived!

Bon appetit!

• Visited June 2012

Worcester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Marvellous!”
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I was prompted to write a review about my experience at this restaurant after a terrible eating experience recently. At this latter event, I looked back to the excellent food and wine I had there. We booked casually and turned up without anything fancy. The first thing you notice is the rather minimalist surroundings and the monochromatic decor. A strange feeling on entry that is immediately vanquished by the professionalism of the waitress. You know? when I opened up the wine list and saw Chateau Palmer 1983 - I couldn't believe my eyes! Ordered a bottle immediately, a quick sniff of the boquet and yes - it was heaven. On tasting it, the hairs on the back of my neck stood firm - truely exquisite. I thought it might have been over it's best, but not at all. I can't remember what I ordered for starters or main meal, but I can still remember walking out of that restaurant feeling that I'd just tasted some of the best food and wine ever - including from the list of so called 1 & 2 starred Michellin restaurants in England. The wine was simply outstanding and very reasonably priced. In fact I gave the waiter the rest of another bottle of wine because I simply couldn't drink any more. Sadly, I haven't had another such experience. I doubt whether or not I will experience the level of sheer quality of food for quite some time. It's such a hit and miss affair here in England. I mean you go to these celebrity restaurants and non of them are there in their kitchens. I must go to le Mans again! Brilliant.

• Visited August 2010
2 Thank bazilla_40
South Wales
“A good place for a leisurely meal”
Reviewed 17 December 2010

Three of us chose the set lunch menu and were reasonably satisfied. Not traditional French Cuisine, it's more innovative than that. For example the Veal came with noodles and my main course ( fish ) was slightly curry flavoured. The desserts were extremely good. The wine list is quite compact, but we found a good red Sancerre. The service was friendly & attentive. Decor is smart, but the establishment a little expensive. Four stars is a little generous but it is better than average

3 Thank SouthWalesPeter