“Good location, comfortable rooms”
Review of Hotel Continental

Hotel Continental
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Angers
London, United Kingdom
“Good location, comfortable rooms”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Don't spend hours looking for the right hotel in Angers, they're all pretty similar.
This one wouldn't be the worst choice you could make.
The hotel is a two minute walk to the main square, Place du Ralliement, which is served by a tram which runs from the main Angers rail terminal.
The hotel, like most of the ones in Angers seem to be, is adequate for a short stay.
The bed in our privilege room was really comfortable, the room quite small and pretty much everything else was typical of a European 3 star hotel.
The staff seemed friendly enough

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rufus64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Great location, nice people, great value and I would stay here again.

Wifi was fine and I was there during the heat wave and the air conditioning was greatly appreciated

Nice breakfast. Do not expect large rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Airswift
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed one night in this nice and highly recommended hotel.
The staff was very helpful, because we had to leave very early they managed to get breakfast for us and the location is 3mn walk from the main shooping area.
We really enjoyed it!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Muelleroni
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 23 June 2013

First of all, I have accepted that this university city does not offer posh accommodation, so my criteria were location and cleaniness.

I arrived Angers St Laud train station at 4 pm , and proceeded to wheel my heavy luggage to the hotel. It took about 20 minutes as I took the main street in order to avoid going over cobble stone small streets. Small hotel with one front staff who’s there until 10pm, then entry is by code. There is a manager sleeping in the hotel, but only answer to hotel guests calling from inside their rooms, not for people coming in late and forgetting their pass code. Although there are three categories of rooms, their size difference is minor, hence the narrow range for room rates ( it was a steal for me as they were promoting weekend rate during my stay, so one out of my 4 nights was unbelievably cheap)

Yes, it was a small room, but the bed was what we call king bed here in North America. A small desk, two chairs, large window, powerful A/C, tub/shower combo, though water pressure can be better. Clean room, bed a bit soft. Only amenity is soap dispenser over the sink and in the shower….. you may wish to buy your own, and there is a pharmacie just a hundred yards away next to Gallerie Lafayette in Raillement Place.

Lift is euopean small, staircase tight, as this is a small hotel with eight rooms squeeze together and stairway is just a very much expended ( not quite spiral staircase)one.

My only pet peeve is that the sound insulation in such old hotels are not like the bigger ones, as I can hear people talking in the room across the hall, and vacuuming somewhere on my floor or the one above.
Despite these flaws, the friendliness of the staff made the best use they can of this building, and housekeeping has also done a good job.

The best part: location. It is literally a pitching wedge from the center of Place Raillement, where there are several restaurants including Provence Café, Mom and pop creperie, bars for people watching, Gallerie Lafayette, and side streets that branch out into more shops and restaurants. To the other direction is the Castle of Angers( the must see here) and even closer to the hotel( 8minutes) is the Museum,which I didn’t get to since I do not understand french language, but I did patronize the café within it called Café Des Orfevres, very popular amongst locals throughtout the day, open 7 days a week, serving, bistro style food, from salad to grilled fish. Owner Michael used to run a restaurant in Queens (NYC) for a couple years, then married a French girl and came back to his birth place to settle.

I only found out 24 hrs before check out that the transportation from train to hotel was even more simple than I thought……there’s a tram ( only one line, you can’t go wrong)that stops in the center of Place Raillement. It costs 1.4 euros to ride the three or four stops, then deposits you at the door step of the second floor of the new looking St Laud station. Total walking time from door of hotel to door of train station…. 2 minutes. Tram runs every 6-7 minutes, the ride took under 5 minutes. I wish I had known that all along. Wasn’t too late, at least found out enough that I used it. Tram is only 2 years old, great design, the gap between station and tram is only an inch and level, making rolling luggage a piece of cake.
Oh…. The market ( only open on wednesdays), it’s turn right from train station, follow the tramtrack for 100 yards, you’ll find in an open market fish, meat, fruit, produce, and a Careforr supermarket as well.

Tripadvisor is about value, so you don’t have to be a 5 star hotel to earn honours.
If you want location, room cleaniness, staff helpfulness, and good price, this is for you.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tak3
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I spent two nights at the Continental in April (April 9 & 10) and was very impressed. While I did not take the breakfast option, the dinning room looked clean and well stocked as I passed. The room was more than adequate for one person and the bathroom was very large. The heat was also abundant. I agree it can be difficult to find in the center of town - I was on foot from the train station - but once you are there you are in the middle of everything.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Hotel in centre of Anger was a very ideal location for a short visit. Staff pleasant, breakfast o.k. Not recommended for long stay.Room we had was on street side but was in fact reasonably quiet at night .

Room Tip: Rooms average but clean, ideal for overnight stop. Location for centre ideal.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Vihti, Finland
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed here for 5 days during Easter and we very pleased: everything worked well, the staff was very helpful, breakfast was nice and botk our room and our bathroom were kept very tidy (cleaned daily).
When we arrived our room was freezing cold (the staff opened up the windows before the new customers arrived and it was below zero then) but the central heating was very good so the room warmed up quite soon, the bathroom was cold all the time (luckily I had my woolsocks with me).
We had a rental car with us: there were many underground car parks nearby, we used Ralliement, is was the closiest and there was always room.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple