“Basic and friendly, very good location!”

Grand Hotel de Nantes
Ranked #40 of 108 Hotels in Nantes
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The hotel is very easy to reach from the train station, and within walking distance of the buzzing Bouffay district and most sights. We stayed in the family room (1 double, 2 single beds) on the first floor, facing out onto the street. We slept with the window open, and didn´t find it noisy. Yes, the space in the room is very limited, but we spent all day in town and only needed a room to sleep in, so it was perfectly suitable for our purposes. Very basic, but clean, all the staff were very friendly and helpful. The only flaw: We found the breakfast a bit expensive at 8 EUR per person, and could not even get a reduced price for the kids, so we had our breakfasts outside of the hotel. We had booked a special offer through the Nantes Tourist Office (3 nights for the price of 2), which was almost cheap; if we had paid the full price, our expectations might have been a bit higher. But as it is: no complaints!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Alexandra A, Responsable réception at Grand Hotel de Nantes, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2017

ear Angela,

Thank you, it't a pleasure for the team.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

My partner told me he had booked us three nights in Grand Hotel Nantes and my initial excitement evaporated as soon as I stepped into the room. The room was small and poorly lit, opening the curtains was not really an option as the building across the street had residential apartments with windows facing ours. They could see right in. We struggled with opening and closing the windows, which was bad since there was no air conditioning and we felt the stifling heat. From our room on the second level, the traffic noise interrupted our conversations. The walls were peeling and the bathroom doors had no locks, and did not close properly. I was horrified to find no hot water after I had stepped into the shower.

My partner went down to the reception and the gentleman on duty came to our room to fix the matter. It was past midnight and I wondered if other guests could hear the running water? Nonetheless I was grateful for the assistance.

The next morning my partner woke up feeling terrible. The bed was sagging in the middle. We're do not weigh a lot combined, but especially my partner who's thin as a baguette, and he kept "rolling down the slope of the bed".

After a word with reception we had our rooms changed, and in fact, were given an upgrade. It's still the same hotel so we were not holding our breaths, but it was nice to have a bigger space, and one level up the traffic noise was less audible.

There isn't much point sugar coating the experience; it is a hotel in need of some repair. All the same the service made a real difference to our opinion, and it was nice to always be greeted by the 24 hour staff whenever we went out or came back in. The location is also a plus.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2010

I stay at the Grand Hotel regularly and would never think of going anywhere else. Have been here as a solo traveller and also with my husband. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and the owner is an absolute sweetheart. The rooms are clean and homely and very restful. The location is brilliant . Within a few paces you have great restaurants and cafes and a jazz bar. You are also near great shops and cafes where you can sit in the sun and enjoy a coffee in front of the flower sellers pitch. Once tried another hotel when this one was full but it just didn't compare. If you are a girl travelling alone, you will feel very safe and comfortable here.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jacqueline044
Reviewed 24 July 2009

Hotel is located pretty near the city center (next to commerce). If you like to go swimming, you might want to go to the pool, just close by across the big parking place. Pretty awesome 50m pool.
The hotel is ok, rooms are average. The street however is pretty noisy, so for those of you cannot get a decent sleep in such conditions might not choose this hotel. I did not mind it. The hotel has no free wifi and also breakfast is not included. Wifi was too expensive and of no use for me at this occasion. However, I chose the breakfast option, which I cannot recommend. It might be the French style of breakfast, but it is just not enough for a european. Although the coffee is great.

Overall, an average hotel, which I might not return to next time. I will try another one, and then come back perhaps.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank ThaiRichard
Reviewed 18 April 2009

I'm not sure who had the idea of calling this the "Grand Hotel", but that person must have had a strong sense of irony. This is a rather basic hotel, and it is not in the best state of repair.
Pros: central location, beds are fine, although the bedspread was distinctly dilapidated. The previous reviewer's comment on the double-glazing is important - the streets are filled with noisy revelers until the middle of the night on many evenings. The room was cleaned every day, and the hot water was reliable.
Cons: my entire room was dilapidated; some parts of the floor subsided when I stepped on them; door missing from tiny bathroom; bed was the only comfortable thing to sit on; minimal storage; ugliest room decor I've ever seen. Extortionate internet rates (the service is fairly reliable, though).
I do not list the breakfast among pros or cons, as this depends very much on an individual's taste. A large cup of coffee and hot milk, a very crusty roll, yoghurt, apple sauce, and a couple of mini-croissants, delivered on a tray. Identical. Every day.
Staff were generally helpful.
You cannot fault the location, though, which is very convenient to central Nantes. But go elsewhere if you're looking for something truly "grand".

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2008

Stayed with my wife and 3 kids for two nights in this hotel.All the previous reviews are correct.Slightly noisy but double glazed windows so not too bad.Can hear other guests arrive but also not too inconvenient.
Benoit the owner went out of his way to make our stay comfortable.Extra bed extra towels and very good breakfasts.
The hotel is well situated and we paid Euros 90 for the room.Breakfast is Euros 8.
We would definetely go back.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank Angelo65
Reviewed 3 March 2008

easy booking online and perfect location! right in the middle of everything in Nantes. It was great for the price, 3 of us stayed in a triple room for only 60 euros per night (20 per person!) and it was a nice hotel. It was small, and i wouldn't recommend it for a very long stay, but for your basic needs, it is ideal. the staff was very nice and showed us places to go around the town, and even spoke to us in english sometimes! :)

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank saritamarisa