Le Patio Saumur
Le Volney(Saumur)
Le Londres(Saumur)
Sohotel(Saumur)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewspost officeb bcreaky floorsresident parrotinner courtyardbreadthe ownerthe riveroriginal stonepleasant hoststone stairseasy free parkingtop floorrecommend leold buildingloire valleygreat character
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Le Patio is a charming & characterful building overlooking the Loire. It is conveniently located near Saumur castle & old town centre. Our stay was during low season: it must be delightful during summer. It is comfortable, although the beds were too soft for us! The continental breakfast was somewhat limited: a choice of some fruit would have been welcome. The host, Romain, is a very charming and helpful man!

Overall a delightful stay in a charming B&B within a charming town.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2013

My husband, 15-year-old son and I just returned from an 8 day vacation in France. Our first stop was the Loire Valley. We chose Saumur as our base in order to take in some of the sites on the Western side of the Loire that we hadn't seen before. Le Patio Saumur is a delightful place made all the more wonderful by its owner Romain Legrand. The bed-and-breakfast's location on the river is a few minutes' walk from several fine restaurants and at the base of the chateau. The more commercial/shopping part of Saumur is about 8 minutes' walk. (With regard to restaurants, I encourage you to ask Romain for recommendations. Every place he suggested was truly excellent, each in its own way. On our own, we didn't fair as well.)

The breakfast room/bar is decorated in a "Ballard Design" manner that is both welcoming and stylish. We stayed in the Green Room at the top of the building (2 flights of steps which were not a problem for us but might be for others.) The room is on a courtyard with a view of the Chateau. Very quiet. This suite was a good size for us with ample room for our son's double bed in one space and ours in the other. The price for our room, including the small supplement for our son, was beyond reasonable. I noticed the room did not have a hair dryer and when we requested one, Romain provided it instantly. I had the opportunity to see the Blue Room on the 2nd floor (only one flight of stairs from the ground level) which is even larger, brighter and has a more charming bathroom design. When we come again, we will probably request this one. The building itself was formerly a post office (I think) with sturdy old beams and architectural features. I would have expected to find the occasional cobwebs and dust that would come with a place this old, but somehow Romain manages to keep it immaculate. I don't know how he accomplishes this...

Breakfast is simple and thoughtfully prepared with fresh orange juice, croissants, breads, etc., along with your breakfast beverage of choice. Romain will ask what time you would like it ready for you. We found the internet service was best in this part of the property. So whenever we were inclined, we would sit for a few minutes in this lovely setting to check email, etc. The public rooms were always accessible.

Romain Legrand is the kind of person we would love to get to know better. He is kind, considerate and clearly wishes his guests to have a happy stay. We are so pleased to have found Le Patio Saumur for our future travels.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a large room/suite, I recommend the Blue Room. I suggest you choose a room that is on the courtyard (not looking out at the river) to avoid traffic noises.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Grateful*traveler
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We came to visit the Tank Museum and, without reservations, found the town completely booked! We stumbled onto this B&B by accident and there was one room left; wow was that our lucky day!! The room was very large, clean, superbly decorated and overlooked the river. The host is a very nice enthusiastic young man who speaks excellent English. Evening cocktails as well as the excellent breakfast croissants and coffee are served in a beautiful room on the main floor. Romain has an interior decorating eye I've only seen in magazines; pure elegance. Access to the rooms is up a narrow steep winding staircase and the B&B is a healthy 5-7 minute walk from town. We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else the next time we're in Saumur.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CharlotteAnn
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Le Patio will make your trip to Saumur big time!
The whole building is very nice.
We stayed at the White Room which is cousy and quiet and large, and decorated in a rustic way.
It's walking distance from the train station and one block away there's a place to rent bikes.
Both things very convenient for us since we were doing a leissure biking trip.
But what really makes the difference is his amazing manager and host Romain.
What an amazing and enthusiastic human being! Not only made made us feel at home, i had mentioned him previously by email that it was my birthday wife, he remembered and open on her honor a bottle of a very nice "petillante" (sparkling) wine and we had a great time toasting and chating.
Then the day we were leaving it was raining, inmediateyl he offered and gave us a ride in his car to the train station.
As my wife said after the trip: My favourite town was Amboise, but where I had the best time was in Saumur :)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed two nights in Saumur and then three in Amboise. If we had our time again, we'd probably have all five nights at Le Patio. It is located just on the edge of town centre (5 mins walk) and overlooks the river. There is plenty of free parking directly outside.

The building is old and has been renovated and furnished in a warm style that is respectful of the building whilst still meeting modern expectations. Romain, the owner, is very friendly and offers great service.

Our room was very spacious with a good bathroom. Our only downside was too-soft mattresses and single bedding.

The breakfasts are served downstairs and feature typical french fare. My girlfriend said the coffee was very good and I enjoyed the selections of tea. There is also a lovely internal courtyard where we enjoyed a bottle of sparkling wine and a baguette with dip on one evening.

We would return again if ever we pass through Saumur in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple