“Wonderful host, wonderful B&B”
Review of Le Patio Saumur

Le Patio Saumur
Ranked #3 of 23 Saumur B&B and Inns
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Wonderful host, wonderful B&B”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We had a lovely, huge room up under the eaves and overlooking the Loire! Best part though was our host, Romain, who truly seemed to want our stay to be the best ever. Suggestions of things to do, places to eat, and a glass of wine in the courtyard our last night there all contributed to making this one of the best places of our entire 3 month trip.
I can imagine going there to write or just be. The decoration in the public spaces is wonderful - quirky and interesting (think of old carriage lamps, a top hat and a enormous old but working clock among other things in the breakfast room). The courtyard is a tranquil oasis away from the street noise. A five (my husband says ten) minute walk to an excellent restaurant, Le Bistro Tonton (see separate review).
There is free parking just across the street!

Room Tip: Can't get the terrible rating away from pool and fitness center. LePatio has neither. Street n...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Durango, CO
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We just returned to the States from France. We were lucky enough to book a 2 night stay on our visit to the Loire Valley. Our room was very cozy, the building was beautiful, and our host, Romain was fabulous! Very nice breakfast in the morning and great atmosphere in the late afternoon/evening in the courtyard to sit and enjoy a glass of wine. As a bonus, the price was good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I just returned from Saumur. I stayed at the wonderful Le Patio Saumur. It is a truly beautiful place with such ambiance. The blue suite I stayed in was very spacious and comfortable and the actual patio/courtyard is stunning and very beautiful. It is a wonderful place to sit in the evening and chill out. The breakfast is good with great coffee and french bread. The breakfast room is a designers paradise with such beautiful objects and so artistic. As an artist myself I felt very comfortable and at home here. But what really makes Le Patio so special is the host Romain Legrand. He is kind and considerate and such a beautiful person. he has such warmth and energy and it was a very special experience to meet him, because he is such a unique and lovely person and such a talented host. I love Saumur but staying at Le Patio made the visit extra special. I found it on google and thought the place looked lovely, but in real life it is even better and I would be happy to stay there for a lot longer if I had the time. I would recommend Le Patio Saumur to anybody and the experience of meeting Romain Legrande has been a privilage and a delight.

Room Tip: I just know that the Blue Suite was very comfortable and spacious.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Booked this place as a B & B, but it is really more like a boutique hotel. Chose it because of the rave reviews from other Tripadvisor contributors (I always check Tripadvisor first!). The owner, Romain, is a warm, very friendly and helpful man, who certainly adds to the charm of the place. Its position on the banks of the Loire, with the chateaux at its rear, could hardly be bettered, and it is only a short walk into the centre of town. Our room - the Turquoise room - was delightful, except for the very creaky floorboards, but what can one expect in a building four hundred years old. The inner courtyard is beautiful, and had the weather been kinder when we visited, we would have loved to linger there over a glass of wine. We asked Romain for a recommendation for dinner, and he suggested Le Pot au Lapin (see separate review), and we are so glad we did, as it was excellent. Breakfast is typically French, and could have been a bit more adventurous, but was enjoyable nevertheless. We would certainly recommend Le Patio to anyone thinking of staying in Saumur.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynda G
Dardilly, France
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Our room was enormous on the top floor of the building. The colors were green and gold, very dark and a little opressive in my opinion. It rained the entire time we were there, maybe that it explains it. The bed was actually two beds pushed together, each had its own sheets and blanket, not ideal for a couple. The bathroom had a bathtub. Showers are taken without a shower curtain. you have to squat down in order to not get everything wet. The patio in the center courtyard is very pretty. It must be a nice place to relax when it is nice out. The room with the terra cotta tiles in their pamphlet looks gorgeous.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Le Patio is a charming & characterful building overlooking the Loire. It is conveniently located near Saumur castle & old town centre. Our stay was during low season: it must be delightful during summer. It is comfortable, although the beds were too soft for us! The continental breakfast was somewhat limited: a choice of some fruit would have been welcome. The host, Romain, is a very charming and helpful man!

Overall a delightful stay in a charming B&B within a charming town.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 March 2013

My husband, 15-year-old son and I just returned from an 8 day vacation in France. Our first stop was the Loire Valley. We chose Saumur as our base in order to take in some of the sites on the Western side of the Loire that we hadn't seen before. Le Patio Saumur is a delightful place made all the more wonderful by its owner Romain Legrand. The bed-and-breakfast's location on the river is a few minutes' walk from several fine restaurants and at the base of the chateau. The more commercial/shopping part of Saumur is about 8 minutes' walk. (With regard to restaurants, I encourage you to ask Romain for recommendations. Every place he suggested was truly excellent, each in its own way. On our own, we didn't fair as well.)

The breakfast room/bar is decorated in a "Ballard Design" manner that is both welcoming and stylish. We stayed in the Green Room at the top of the building (2 flights of steps which were not a problem for us but might be for others.) The room is on a courtyard with a view of the Chateau. Very quiet. This suite was a good size for us with ample room for our son's double bed in one space and ours in the other. The price for our room, including the small supplement for our son, was beyond reasonable. I noticed the room did not have a hair dryer and when we requested one, Romain provided it instantly. I had the opportunity to see the Blue Room on the 2nd floor (only one flight of stairs from the ground level) which is even larger, brighter and has a more charming bathroom design. When we come again, we will probably request this one. The building itself was formerly a post office (I think) with sturdy old beams and architectural features. I would have expected to find the occasional cobwebs and dust that would come with a place this old, but somehow Romain manages to keep it immaculate. I don't know how he accomplishes this...

Breakfast is simple and thoughtfully prepared with fresh orange juice, croissants, breads, etc., along with your breakfast beverage of choice. Romain will ask what time you would like it ready for you. We found the internet service was best in this part of the property. So whenever we were inclined, we would sit for a few minutes in this lovely setting to check email, etc. The public rooms were always accessible.

Romain Legrand is the kind of person we would love to get to know better. He is kind, considerate and clearly wishes his guests to have a happy stay. We are so pleased to have found Le Patio Saumur for our future travels.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a large room/suite, I recommend the Blue Room. I suggest you choose a roo...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family