“Excellent tour and tasting”

Ranked #4 of 30 things to do in Saumur
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Situated at 12m underground in the centre of Saumur, the Louis de Grenelle wine cellars have been producing, in the purest tradition, Cremant de Loire and Saumur Brut ever since 1859. In this former tufa quarry, you will discover the secrets of traditional wine-producing methods. After the guided tour there will be a commented wine-tasting session. You will also be able to discover wine in a wine-dedicated space.
Waasmunster, Belgium
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Excellent tour and tasting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Tour around the caves was very interesting, giving some history of the brand as well as the production process of their sparkling wine (same as Champagne).

The tasting in itself is very comprehensive, and you're able to taste all of their different wines. My personal favourite was their Grand Cuvée, which can certainly compete with decent Champagne.

Tip: if you're staying in Saumur, your hotel might have a voucher for a free tour.

Visited August 2014
4 Thank MichielRuys
Grenelle49, Responsable relations clients at Caves Louis de Grenelle, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Hello,

Thank you to share your opinion on TripAdvisor. We’re delighted to know that you had a good time in our family house.

Best regards.

Les Caves de Grenelles.

• Hebrew first
France
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“Free visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I visited this with members of my family on a very hot day. The underground visit was refreshing and the wine tasting even moreso! I have claustophobia issues but the tunnels are wide and well lit and not a problem for me. The tour was commentated in both French and English.
This was a free visit as our hotel (Alcyon) provided us with a free pass, I suppose other hotels in Saumur do too. There are 4 sparkling wines to taste (one of which is a red) but you can also ask to taste others. As we were on foot they kept our purchases for us to pick up the following morning.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank MarchFrance
Grenelle49, Responsable relations publiques at Caves Louis de Grenelle, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Hello,
Thank you to share your opinion on TripAdvisor.
We’re delighted to know that you had a good time in our family house.
Best regards,

Dublin, Ireland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Family friendly trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Visited this winery with two children following recommendations on trip advisor. I was not disappointed. The guide brought us down in to the caves and the children were fascinated to hear that we were under the actual streets of the town. The guide was excellent and her description of the process of making wine was clear and easy to follow. At the end of the tour the children sipped sparkling grape juice while the adults sampled the sparkling wines. A very enjoyable afternoon and very family friendly.

1 Thank sedublin
Grenelle49, Responsable relations publiques at Caves Louis de Grenelle, responded to this review, 8 August 2014

Best regards

Peterborough, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Enjoyable visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Had an excellent,informatrive, bubbly guide who took us on a no rush tour. Could not believe the amount of bottles and miles of caves under the streets of Saumur. Our guide also said some of the stone taken out was used on St Paul Cathedral ! Response to my questions made me understand more about vintage wine. Bought some nice tasting (cuvee) white sparkling wine and rose at a reasonble price. You will not get hard sell or have high prices to pay.

1 Thank richard h
Grenelle49, Responsable relations clients at Caves Louis de Grenelle, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Hi,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It’s always a pleasure to share the knowledge and our love for sparkling wines.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the tour and the wine and we hope to see you again.

Caves Louis de Grenelle.
Houston, Texas, United States
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Very nice wine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Saw this place on Tripadvisor and stopped in for a visit. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They spoke excellent English which made the visit more pleasant. The wine is very good. You pay a small tasting fee that is waived if you purchase wine. They have a large variety of sparkling wines. There were still wines, but I only tasted the sparkling. There were several other folks from England who bought many cases of their wine. I bought one bottle, but would have gotten more if I could take it back to the USA.

Since I was by myself, I was not able to do a tour. It sounded like a good place to visit. Overall, I would recommend a visit.

2 Thank jbray54
Grenelle49, Responsable relations clients at Caves Louis de Grenelle, responded to this review, 25 July 2014

Best regards.