“A complete holiday”

Camping Huttopia Saumur
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Just returned from this site. Wonderful holiday! Views of the valley and river stunning with seats to sit & view. Staff wonderful, nothing too much trouble. Wifi a bit hit and miss but free and usable although slow. Cycling by river meant a long climb back up to camp but wonderful cycling along the many lanes directly from camp. So near Saumur with great shopping, and lovely old quarter too. Numerous wine cellars to visit, all on the doorstep, very friendly with free wine tasting and no pressure to buy. Will definitely return here!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank janlawson

Reviewed 16 June 2013

This was my first time camping. My girlfriend, whom has a lot more experience, wanted it to be special so I let her choose.

One may argue if a camping site should be comfortable or bare bones depending on preferences but I believe noone would criticise Chantepie's special feature: the views of the Loire. Pitches are located on the edge of a hill with amazing views of the valley below. Waking up in the morning and seeing from your "balcony" the river waters as they cross the heart of France is quite special.

For the rest I enjoyed the facilities: there is a reasonable amount of provisions for the technology-minded (electricity, WiFi) and the common areas were clean and reasonably close to the pitches. I also thought that size of each pitch was convenient.

All in all I'd return to Chantepie if I were to give camping a go again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We chose one of the largest pitches, and were glad for that... Those nearer the river view are much more worn, and feel comparatively cramped, but ours was double size. Campers who stare at goats... a goat paddock is adjacent the river view pitches, which may delight or nauseate you. Facilities are kept very clean, and the covered pool ideal when it's very sunny. No queues, either.
Little shop just fine, especially as it's only 15 mins to Leclerc! Site Staff helpful, but not magicians- couldn't provide a ehu cable when they were all out already, but brought one straight over when it was available. Bar/restaurant useful and acceptable, but nothing special.
You do need to have transport, and a wasp trap or two.
We would happily return to this site when we want to revisit this end of the Loire.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank ChrisinHove
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We haven't stayed here for some years but remembered how spotlessly clean it was so thought we would give it another go. It felt like the management had changed but the reception was still good. Our pitch was good with some view of the river which is beautiful. The shower blocks are still kept spotlessly clean and the little shop sells bread in the mornings and a few basics. The restaurant has become quite expensive with not such a good menu as we remembered. We only used it once because of the prices. Lovely area. We took our bikes and were delighted to find the Loire has been made into a cycle path. We don't have young children any more but there seemed quite a lot for them to do. The swimming pool is not attended though so littlies need to be supervised.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LichfieldEssexgirl
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Having heard so many good reports on this campsite, whilst we were in France we decided to visit and experience the feeling ourselves. It was Sunday the 17th June 2012 and we travelled from Vannes on a lovely sunny day, it was my birthday, and sdo looked forward to arriving, settling in and having a glass of wine. We arrived about 2.10pm and joined others already there waiting for reception to open. There was a notice on the door with a list of pitches available and the invitation to go and inspect them before the reception re-opened. We picked 2/3 and went and looked at them but found they were too small for our motorhome. However, we did see two with views over the valley which we liked.
The reception opened and we joined the queue and waited our turn. Eventually we spoke to a male receptionist and asked if we could have a pitch overlooking the valley. We were told those pitches were booked. Eventually after a frustrating conversation we were asked how long we wanted to stay, so we said possibly 7 nights. The answer was if we stayed 7 nights then one pitch overlooking the valley would be available. The pitch number was 7.and we were told it would cost us an extra 8 euros per night!!. Reluctantly as were tired we accepted it.
We pulled onto the pitch and set about settling in. However after about 20 minutes we seemed to be invaded by flies, going into the van and into our faces. A quick look over the hedge on the valley side there were goats grazing and this appeared the reason for flies.
A quick walk around the site we found another pitch very flat, large, and sunny, it was K8. So off I went to the office, explained our wish not to stay on the river view pitch due to flies, and enquired if K8 was available, to the same male receptionist. After searching his computer he asked how many nights, and I said possibly seven. The answer was okay you can have the pitch, but it is a large pitch so you pay extra 8 euros.
A bit stunned, hot and tired decided we would stay and went back to the pitch. After placing the van on ramps, and getting equipment out I went to plug into the electric. I was unable to find it on the pitch and a neighbour took me to the nearest electric point, 3 pitches off to the left and requiring a very long cable. Then only other point near was 4 pitches to the right and that needed svereal cables. Beside no electric, there was no water point, nor drainage or light, and this after paying an extra 8 euros per night.
Back to the office and saw a young lady. The other guy had gone home and I think it was pretty near to closing for the young lady. After explaining the problem, she offered to loan me a cable which on examination I could see it would not be compatible with my cables. I was asked for 20 euros, which I declined to pay until I was sure it was needed. The cables did not match and there were no others.
The only help given was the advice to move to one of the pitches with the electric, which were not suitable due to size and trees. This was declined and we left.
This whole scenerio took over 2 hours and we felt the only interest shown was how much money could be made. I know a lot of people have given good reviews, but how many other people have been treated this way and noit said anything.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Dave252Oakham
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I don't often write reviews, although I really should given how much I rely on others going to the trouble... But I want to single out the reception staff who helped as much as they could yesterday and today in trying to book kayaks and our next campsite. Really, they couldn't have tried harder even though there was nothing in it for them...

In terms of the campsite, it was very picturesque and handy for saumur and the Loire. Personally we'd have preferred easy cycling into saumur, and a bigger pool with slides etc... And the signposting/ sat nav took us a little way out of our way... Stay beside the Loire and turn left a mile after the mushroom museum.. Then immediately left again into the campsite... Much quicker!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank surebeatsworking
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We stayed in July 2011 for a week, it was our first experience of a French campsite - we didn't appreciate how good it was until we visited other sites later in the holiday! There is lots for children to do (ours aged between 5 and 10) pony rides, pool, ping pong, boule. We adults loved the stunning views, wine from the sites own vinyard & visiting market/impromtu wine tasting. A really friendly site - we had trouble with the gas on our caravan and they couldn't do enough to help. The pitches were good, plenty of room and hedging around each to give privacy. We'll definitely go back.

Room Tip: If possible request a pitch with a view - if you are taking a touring caravan as we did