As a designer I cannot help but want to stay in beautiful places. And Chateau De Verrieres is beautiful. Unfortunately I booked the worst room in the place (the green room) and I would highly recommend that if you have the money that you go to the next level. The rooms are stunning. The green room is not. It is in comparison more like the servants quarters. It is small but that should not have prevented it from being charming...... It had a good start but unfortunately they gave up too soon!
The couple who own the hotel are charming and speak very good english which is very helpful. The gentleman was out immediately to help me with my bags when I arrived and they were in my room when I got upstairs. He was very kind and helpful as was his wife, I like them both immensely
The doors cannot be locked unless you are in the room. Madame assured me that nothing had ever been stolen and I answered that I did not want to be the first. My computer is very important to me and an ounce of prevention goes a long way. So I was forced to carry it with me today...unfortunate. When a room is occupied you keep your door shut. If no one is occupying the room and the door is open. you are welcome to go in and look at the rooms. This was great for me as I love to see different ideas when it comes to design.
They are very willing to give advice unfortunately I was obviously not good at explaining where I wanted to eat and what I wanted to see. The restaurant recommendations were poor and I was very disappointed. As for activities, once I explained myself better I finally got great recommendations and found interesting antique stores and galleries. Saumur is a great town to spend the day walking. I got some great recommendations.
Breakfast is not worth the money. The yogurt is run of the mill, and there is bread and fruit, coffee and tea and cereal. For 17 Euros I could have bought splendid French yogurt and fruit for a couple of Euros at the market.
IF you get a chance DO stay at this hotel. It really is beautiful and the hosts put a lot of effort into their hotel. I slept well here and I loved the atmosphere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Verrières is an élégant Château, built in 1895 to host receptions and elegant parties for the officers from the famous Cavalry School. It has been artfully restored, romantic atmosphere. Only 10 rooms and Suite to welcome you. Each room is unique, filled with light through the high windows. Verrieres stands in huge grounds with a heated pool, spa and sauna. Step in directly into the heart of old Saumur and make your choice among the delicious restaurant located around Verrières. Free wi-fi and parking. All comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Chateau de Verrieres & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chateau De Verrieres Saumur
- Chateau De Verrieres Hotel Saumur