“A beautiful hotel”

Chateau de Verrieres & Spa
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Saumur
Reviewed 14 September 2013

As a designer I cannot help but want to stay in beautiful places. And Chateau De Verrieres is beautiful. Unfortunately I booked the worst room in the place (the green room) and I would highly recommend that if you have the money that you go to the next level. The rooms are stunning. The green room is not. It is in comparison more like the servants quarters. It is small but that should not have prevented it from being charming...... It had a good start but unfortunately they gave up too soon!
The couple who own the hotel are charming and speak very good english which is very helpful. The gentleman was out immediately to help me with my bags when I arrived and they were in my room when I got upstairs. He was very kind and helpful as was his wife, I like them both immensely
The doors cannot be locked unless you are in the room. Madame assured me that nothing had ever been stolen and I answered that I did not want to be the first. My computer is very important to me and an ounce of prevention goes a long way. So I was forced to carry it with me today...unfortunate. When a room is occupied you keep your door shut. If no one is occupying the room and the door is open. you are welcome to go in and look at the rooms. This was great for me as I love to see different ideas when it comes to design.
They are very willing to give advice unfortunately I was obviously not good at explaining where I wanted to eat and what I wanted to see. The restaurant recommendations were poor and I was very disappointed. As for activities, once I explained myself better I finally got great recommendations and found interesting antique stores and galleries. Saumur is a great town to spend the day walking. I got some great recommendations.
Breakfast is not worth the money. The yogurt is run of the mill, and there is bread and fruit, coffee and tea and cereal. For 17 Euros I could have bought splendid French yogurt and fruit for a couple of Euros at the market.
IF you get a chance DO stay at this hotel. It really is beautiful and the hosts put a lot of effort into their hotel. I slept well here and I loved the atmosphere.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the green room. Most other rooms are beautiful!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 September 2013

There isn't much to say: it's a chateau!

The rooms are beautiful, the location is good, but not too close to the centre of the town and the hosts are very welcoming and helpful. The Internet works well and there is on-site parking. The breakfast is too expensive, but it isn't obligatory. The bathroom in our suite was enormous, and all the ceilings are roughly 20 feet high!

It's a chateau! If you can afford it, stay here!

Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed here for a few nights on our recent driving tour in Europe and what a good choice it turned out to be. The proprietors are charming and helpful and made us feel like house guests in their lovely property. Great base for exploring the Loire valley and though there is no restaurant at the hotel there are plenty of good ones nearby. Parking is secure & though the Chateau is close to the town it is a peaceful environment with lovely gardens and swimming pool. Thank you Thierry and Yolinde (and not forgetting an extra pat for Uno the dog) for a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Nothing but praise for our stay in Chateau de Verrieres. This lovely grand but small hotel (less than a dozen guest rooms across 2 floors) is superbly run by the couple who own it. We stayed in a junior suite which was tastefully decorated like one would imagine a Loire private family chateau could be, as well as having all modern amenities expected from a 5 star accomodation.
The ceiling in our suites was at least 4m high, we had a massive separate bathroom with bathtub, separate showers and two sinks. The bed was lovely and my sleep was so much better for it, there was a TV, safe, mini bar fridge and loads of storage space.
The owners are extremely charming, attentive and have very good recommendations for local restaurants, best chateaux to visit, what to avoid and countless other pieces of advice. It's almost best to forget one's guidebook and ask them where to go and what to do, they will gracefully oblige and your stay will be much better for it. Having been expats in various countries (UK, Japan, etc) in their previous lives, they speak extremely good english, so its with no surprise that, in addition to running the best hotel in all of Saumur, their clientele is 85% international and includes VIPs, celebs, and other royalties.
The hotel serves a very good breakfast and has a lovely heated outside swimming pool. There is a sweet little park with a pond in the back and free parking places in the front and side. The hotel owners makes you feel like you are part of the family, hence they have this peculiar but charming policy of not providing locks for any of the guest rooms. Rooms with no guest have open doors hence one can nosily walk in and admire the decoration and furniture in them, while rooms with guests simply have their door shut and every one respects each other's privacy. All rooms have safe in them in anyway for valuables, so overall this works well to provide a lovely sense of trust, warmth and feels like staying at a relative's (very) posh house.
I could not recommend more Chateau de Verrieres to anyone stopping by Saumur or visitting the Loire valley.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed 4 nights, extending our stay by 2 extra ones.Everything from the warm greeting and discreet, spot on attention from the hosts to the beautiful room and generally well maintained and charming chateau itself made our stay pretty perfect. The pool was great and we used this every day.The recommended restaurants within walking distance were of a good standard and altogether we enjoyed our time in Saumur very much.

Room Tip: Worth having a junior suite
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Yes, Chateau De Verrieres is expensive for the region but the quality of the building, the bedrooms, the staff and the overall experience is faultless and more than makes up for it. This is the 3rd time we have stayed here en-route to the Dordoigne and the standards have remained consistently high. It is perfectly located to explore the Loire and the owners can't do enough to ensure that your expectations are met or give you advice on the area and places to eat/visit. Even Uno the cheeky dog puts a smile on your face. The Chateau has a good sized swimming pool where you can relax and serves good fresh local food

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The chateau is a beautiful building set in lovely gardens and is very private, despite being in the town of Saumur. All of the public rooms are superbly decorated. The best thing about the hotel though, and the thing that sets it apart from all others we have stayed in, is the service and attitude of the hosts. They are exceptionally friendly and genuine people who will go out of their way to ensure you have a good stay, nothing is too much trouble.
Every other hotel owner should come here to learn how to run a hotel properly.
Staying here is a privilege and better than any hotel we've been to, because it's like no other hotel we've been to.

Room Tip: The larger rooms are well worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James K
verrieres, Propriétaire at Chateau de Verrieres & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you very much for your very nice review. It is very motivating for us to read such nice comments.
you were the perfect guests as well as every hotel wishes to welcome!