We made a last-minute travel change, and decided to stay in Saumur for a night. (The Loire Valley proved to be larger than we imagined, and we were driving too much.)
Chateau De Verrieres was the perfect property, well-situated near the town center, but wrapped in it's own walls and garden that made it feel secluded. The owners have exquisite taste that's reflected in the house, it's decor and the artwork. They were also generous with their time, providing suggestions and advice on the area. The best of those suggestions was an unassuming restaurant right around the corner "L'Escargot". It was one of the best meals we had in France.
I wish we could have stayed longer. This is a charming place. It's also worth noting that the website has links to other Chateaus owned by their family. We didn't see any of those, but I imagine they must be nice as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Verrieres is an elegant chateau, built in 1895 to host balls and elegant parties for the officers from the famous Cavalry School.It has been artfully restored. Only 10 rooms and Suite to welcome you. Each room is unique, filled with light through the high windows. Verrieres stands in huge grounds with an heated pool. Step in directly into the heart of old Saumur and make your choice among the delicious restaurant located around Verrieres. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Chateau De Verrieres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chateau De Verrieres Saumur
- Chateau De Verrieres Hotel Saumur