We stayed at Chateau de Verrieres for 2 nights in July 2007 and had a fabulous experience. All the previous reviews on this place are correct. This place is seriously grand and elegant, and you feel that you are living with a French aristocratic family. It’s the most opulent hotel I have stayed in in France. It has been recently re-furbished to a very high standard in true château style. The hotel sits in beautiful grounds and you would not believe you are in the centre of a town. It is well located just on the outskirts of the town centre and within easy walking distance. As you enter the hotel you see a beautiful grand staircase in front of you and a sumptuous lounge and dining room either side of the staircase. Check in was very easy and you are made very welcome by the hosts who show you to your room. We stayed in Room XVIII on the second floor. The hotel has a lift so there is no lugging of your cases up the grand staircase. Although you can lock yourself in your room at night, there is no key to your room. The hosts want you to feel you are ’family’ and say that there are no need for keys at this hotel. The bathroom was spacious and beautiful, and supplied with big, thick, white towels. This was the sort of place that, when you leave, you would not take any unused toiletries as you feel you would be taking it from a member of your family. Our room was beautiful, well equipped with lovely big bed, coffee/tea making facilities, safe, phone, tv and mini-bar. It was very roomy, comfortable and quiet. Breakfast is taken in a light airy basement room. We did not take dinner at the hotel. Parking in the grounds is very secure with electronic gates. It was lovely to sit out or walk around the beautiful gardens.
While visiting Samur, you must have dinner in Auberge Saint Pierre, in the centre of town. We visited here on both nights. The place has great character and good atmosphere, the staff are very friendly and hospitable, the food is very good, beautifully presented and very good value. Try the briochette of magret du canard or the roast veal. They have some lovely desserts and a good selection of cocktails, They also have a good selection of local wines. You must try their very unusual walnut wine. They suggest it as an aperitif but I think it makes a great dessert wine, especially with their walnut ice cream dessert..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Verrières is an élégant Château, built in 1895 to host receptions and elegant parties for the officers from the famous Cavalry School. It has been artfully restored, romantic atmosphere. Only 10 rooms and Suite to welcome you. Each room is unique, filled with light through the high windows. Verrieres stands in huge grounds with a heated pool, spa and sauna. Step in directly into the heart of old Saumur and make your choice among the delicious restaurant located around Verrières. Free wi-fi and parking. All comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chateau de Verrieres & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chateau De Verrieres Saumur
- Chateau De Verrieres Hotel Saumur