“just what the doctor ordered”
Review of Cristal Hotel

Cristal Hotel
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Saumur
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I am from a small village in the region and needed a hotel to stay for a week. I have stayed at this Hotel 12 years ago and did not have the best time but it was practical at the time.
I can only say that not only the rooms are a lot better and the hotel has had a face lift. the new restaurant downstairs is by a mile better than some othe restaurants in Saumur, Great Breakfast and fab lunch at a very afordable price. Cold not help but to have the oysters.
This is not only well run but great staff and friedly at all time. Glad I went back and will for sure stay there on my next visit. I ma aware that in the past few years the hotel have had a really bad reputtation but teh new owner have done an amazing job in refurbishing the Hotel and are still working on some of teh room. My hat to them and am sure they will do very well. they were truely lovely.
I work for a five star Hotel in london and this was great to see that the people and service in my part of teh world is as warm as ever.

Room Tip: ask for the new room if you can and let them know you want breakfast so you get amanzing croissants
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank dominique c

Reviewed 10 October 2011

The only room available was the twin with Loire view: reached by narrow, steep staircase and containing some rather cranky furniture but that view is beautiful, from the two large picture windows you can see180 degrees of river and the Pont Cessart close by to the west. The bistro serves a tasty menu, with innovative touches (eg vanilla-scented risotto accompanied grilled salmon) in generous portions. Only criticisms are those perennial complaints about French hotels: the breakfast is not great value (not helped by madame's noisy bustling about - making sure we didn't snaffle an extra portion of nutella?), the bathroom's sound insulation is non-existent and, that old chestnut, the shower screen leaks atrociously. That being said, we'd definitely return as everything in Saumur is within comfortable walking distance and....that view!
nb hotel's pix need updating - our room had flat screen tv

Room Tip: Loire view rooms noisy at height of tourist season? pavement cafes, parking lot and delivery vehicle...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nissabella
Reviewed 18 September 2011

An old but plesant hotel situated on the banks of the Loire, only stayed for one night and did not use the restaurant. We had a corner room on the first floor the ceilings were low an the floor creaked but both loved it, it was not the best hotel we have stayed at but it did the job. It is ideally placed to explore the town and near several places to eat. If you walk out of the front door and turn right then next right there is a small convenience store.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lancsprop1
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We arrived in Saumur on a cold wet day in the late afternoon with nothing booked and accepted a room here because we wanted somewhere in the town centre, and were too wet and tired to keep looking. I wish we had kept looking.
We had a family room on the third floor above the restaurant. There is no lift and we had to haul our bags up three narrow flights of stairs to an attic room which was shabby and poorly furnished.( To be fair, we knew this when we accepted the room.)
There is no A/C so if it is hot this room would be very unpleasant. The bathroom was tiny and very basic but adequate I guess.
On the plus side there was free internet and a flatscreen TV attached to the wall and the room was very big.
The breakfast was overpriced and you can do much better in a nearby cafe.
Parking is in a public carpark across the road which is free overnight, but you must pay after 9.am.
I cannot recommend this place as it was not especially cheap and I am sure you can do better for the price.
The hotel also has a restaurant which was OK -not great but not bad either, and we had no problem with the service (unlike an earlier reviewer )

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I stayed here in mid July, basically by accident. I arrived by train from paris with no booking and the taxi basically took me here!
Looking at the hotel, I stayed on the corner room, top floor at the front.
Atmosphere was great - just a great French experience. The room was small, and it contained two small single beds, tiny bathroom. Great large opening windows on both sides though, free wireless access - allowing it was rated two star - I thought it was great.
Breakfast downstairs in the morning was also pretty good (in a french way) with pastries, juices, cereal etc
The guy that own the place (or manages?) really works hard = he was up working when I went to bed (late) and he was there again in the morning when I got up (early)
Great experience, great location and fairly rated as a two star for a comfortable small french hotel experience in the centre of town.

Room Tip: Try for at the front, overlooking the river
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We went to the bistro attached to the hotel for dinner as our first choice L'Alchemist had been fully booked for the evening. On arrival we were asked to sit at a table of our choice. 10 minutes later (just as we were about to give up) a sullen watress literally threw some tableware at us together with some menus and stormed off. A few minutes later she returned demanding our choices for dinner immediately despite us asking for a bit longer to decide. As I was looking at the menu she declared that is no longer available as it is "trop tard!" She then said "have you not even chosen anything" and then mocked our attempts at French to explain. Needless to say by this point we had had enough of this rude individual and walked off and my advice to anyone would be to keep going when you pass by this bistro...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Basic room with two balcony windows.Rooms smelt a bit stale. Side view of River. OK for quick overnight stop on way south. Staff OK. Did`nt eat here so can`t comment on food. Handy for town and restaurants. Just OK.....

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple