Just come back from a week of camping with 3 young children and my wife. Amazing location and lovely scenery. This really was one of the best campsites I've been to, but worth considering the following before booking:
- During busy season, the campsite seemed very short of reception staff. Queues built up for checking in and general inquiries. On one occasion I queued or 20 mins just to ask for a map of the town. The receptionist was friendly but seemed determined to deal with one customer at a time even if it meant phoning somebody else to make additional inquiries and staring intently at her desk to avoid making eye contact with the next customer. On another occasion my entry code was wrong. Again I waited 30 mins just to be allowed to drive into the campsite.This gave a poor impression of customer service. More staff required.
- Drains. Lots of problems when we were there. Toilets and sinks blocked three times. Staff were quick to respond but wasn't convenient when you've paid for your own toilet and shower and you have 3 kids to contend with.
- Wi-fi. It's free, but it's rubbish. Never really worked well from any part of the campsite. I have a feeling it was oversubscribed during parts of the day. It was completely unavailable for one day.
- Live music. Some people love it, some people hate it. We hated it. Very loud karaoke and cheesy covers rock bands pervaded every corner of the campsite until midnight on 3 occasions during the week we stayed. If you are booking for young children or like to go to bed early - steer clear. Or ask to be placed right at the back of the campsite. If you do like singing along to "Hey Jude" you're in for a treat.
- Walk into Saumur town center is more like a 20 minute walk but worth it.
- Bar food. Friendly bar staff, but for a French diner, it's well below par. More like cheap, over-cooked, microwaved pub grub. Go into town, there's more choice and better food.
All that said, I'll definitely be going back next year and I hope my comments are taken on board and this campsite goes from Very Good to Excellent.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with PitchUp so you can book your Camping de l'Ile d'Offard reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.