“Lovely room, nice hosts, problematic access”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ami Chenin

Ami Chenin
Ranked #9 of 23 Saumur B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely room, nice hosts, problematic access”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and accepted the home cooked dinner for1 of them. But1st one had to get there and the access road is rather difficult, so don't try it if you have a large car! It was stressful parking in the rather narrow spot after a narrow steep short road. The location was otherwise peaceful, the large room clean, the bathroom renovated and quite nice. The old house and cave were quite charming.We slept well and the breakfast was delicious with wonderful breads, home made jam and baked goods. We had dinner with another set of guests, unfortunately we did not really take advantage of the wonderful wines the host had on offer. Xavier was certainly an expert at it. The food was nice and a good way of trying some typical French foods one may not order in restaurants. The hosts English was as limited as my French but we managed to communicate, they were indeed helpful. There was no Internet availability.

Room Tip: Our large room for 3 called Aunis, was certainly more than adequate.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Lancashire, Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

I booked this through TripAdvisor on grounds of location, price and charm and I was not disappointed (and neither was my wife) when we stayed earlier this year. France and Xavier's home is truly beautiful and they are wonderful hosts who were patient as I struggled with my French and made us feel at home. We enjoyed drinks outdoors with them and felt as if we'd dropped in on a couple of friends.
We also enjoyed a delightful meal served outdoors in the evening sunshine. I can't tell you how much my wife was impressed with my choice.
Part of the charm is in finding Ami Chenin and any difficulties you might have are outweighed by what you find when you get there.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2008

We enjoyed our stay at this lovely "bed & breakfast," located in the Loire Valley, immensely. The owners, France and Xavier, are welcoming, charming -- the perfect hosts. The old stone house (complete with its own wine cave) is beautifully restored and decorated. We took advantage of the fact that a table d'hotes is offered, which turned out to be one of the best dinners we had during our 12 day trip to France; delicious and convivial. I booked our room (Aunis -- very spacious, unique in decor, and reasonably priced) through their website (www.amichenin.com). If you are traveling in this region, we recommend staying here -- we did not want to leave!

• Liked — the warm welcome and beautiful house
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2007

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this beautiful home. And then I saw the room - it was magnificent, very large and comfortable. Actually it was more a suite than room - a family of 4 could stay there and still have room to move around. I have a love for homes 3-5 hundred years old and this one did not disappoint. Breakfast outside in the garden was icing on the cake. I would love to return to this region - so much to see. One day just isn't enough.

• Liked — One of the loveliest places I've stayed in.
  • Disliked — Loved everything
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2006

A big thank you to the last reviewer. We just came back from an all too brief stay at Ami Chenin. Though we didn't have the room they spoke of, our room was also lovely. The location was great. The surroundings beautiful. Our hosts couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. We also had a delicious dinner dinner there, which I would highly recommend, especially if you are there multiple nights (Saumur also has a number of gastronomique restaurants to choose from). Definitely the best Chambre d'hote of our 10 day trip.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank Labuscadora16
Sainte-Julie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2006

Excellent Bed and Breakfast, well located if you are planning to vist the Loire region.
What a pleasant surprise! 400 year old house, super big room, we got the room Aunis with the Baldaquin bed, we were impressed. Private entrance to our room, big superb bathroom, newly renovated. Super comfortable, very romantic. Great breakfast, friendly owner. Our favorite!

9 Thank Julie6802