“Great hospitality and table d'hôte!”
Review of Ami Chenin

Ami Chenin
Ranked #9 of 23 Saumur B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“Great hospitality and table d'hôte!”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed one night at France & Xavier's B&B. They were very hospitable and helpful. They also have a great table d'hôte, serving a 3 course meal at reasonable prices with a local wine list. The only downside is the state of the room can use a bit of update. The bed wasn't the most comfortable. For a no-frills stay, this is a good option when visiting the Loire valley. The rooms have a view on the Loire.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Rock Island, Illinois
Reviewed 4 October 2013

While cycling in France we stay one night at Ami Chenin. The large room with fireplace was very comfortable. Our hosts were very helpful with locating restaurants and even had a discount coupon for us to visit a local wine cave. Which we were not aware was in the area ... made the stop and were glad we did!! Would definitely recommend this B & B to anyone traveling in the area!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaryS20
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Ami Chenin is certainly out of the way, but that's why I chose it. We had a little difficulty finding it, and were nervous on the steep hillside, but it is where people live, and is entirely manageable. My only caution is to look for the sign that is at the bottom of the hill, and take your time. Once there, we were beyond delighted; it is comfortable, spacious, and gorgeous. As well, for those who can't shut off their devices (like my kids) they now have WiFi.
Xavier and France were welcoming and helpful, and served the most delicious meal we had during our entire trip, (That was the unanimous family review. I've eaten fancier and more adventuresome food, but not better.) The wine list there is fabulous as well, excellent, reasonably priced choices.
Also, for runners, the hills are a fabulous challenge and there is a beautiful level trail just off the road below, ask Xavier for directions. He also suggested that we visit the nearby Abbey Fontevraud, very much appreciated, it was one of the highlights of our trip.I highly recommend this B&B to travelers who are looking for the beyond the ordinary and real experience of France.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 23AMLJ
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 7 November 2012

For the Americans: We drove around for two hours in the dark and could not find this B&B. We had to call and be picked up to follow to the B&B. I was so exhausted and I missed out on dinner completely that night in France! They do not lock the front doors, they do not have locks on your room doors... Breakfast is bread and water, juice, or coffee. There is no phone, TV, alarm clock, iron board, rapid boil tea pot, or computer at this B&B. They did not turn on the heat it was 42 degrees out side! I slept with the covers pulled up over my head! I had allergies all night because they do not dust their antiques in the rooms. They do not clean the room while you are staying in it either. There are three tight parking places on a cliff. The road that leads up the mountain is one lane and curves back on its self and has a blind sharp right turn. It was difficult and dangerous to get up to the inn and then parking was difficult. It was cute and very French but has no ammenities. The owners were pleasant yet he was controlling. I don't know what to think when an inn keeper slaps you on your hand when you ask for your purse and personal items back?... After holding on to them while I parked my car. I was creeped out I should not have given into coersion to hand them over... What was I thinking?. I would not go back to this B&B. This town has a nice Best Western.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We made a stopover in Saumur for one night only, but when we saw the place, we regretted we hadnt planned to stay longer. The rooms are incredibly romantic, yet very comfortable with modern facilities. The hosts made us very warm welcome although we arrived pretty late in the evening, and later on helped us to plan our sightseeing for the next days with valuable tips. In the garden we had lovely French breakfast with selection of fresh breads, delicious jams and much more. We would not hesitate to return there if we pass by the region.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and accepted the home cooked dinner for1 of them. But1st one had to get there and the access road is rather difficult, so don't try it if you have a large car! It was stressful parking in the rather narrow spot after a narrow steep short road. The location was otherwise peaceful, the large room clean, the bathroom renovated and quite nice. The old house and cave were quite charming.We slept well and the breakfast was delicious with wonderful breads, home made jam and baked goods. We had dinner with another set of guests, unfortunately we did not really take advantage of the wonderful wines the host had on offer. Xavier was certainly an expert at it. The food was nice and a good way of trying some typical French foods one may not order in restaurants. The hosts English was as limited as my French but we managed to communicate, they were indeed helpful. There was no Internet availability.

Room Tip: Our large room for 3 called Aunis, was certainly more than adequate.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Lancashire, Uk
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I booked this through TripAdvisor on grounds of location, price and charm and I was not disappointed (and neither was my wife) when we stayed earlier this year. France and Xavier's home is truly beautiful and they are wonderful hosts who were patient as I struggled with my French and made us feel at home. We enjoyed drinks outdoors with them and felt as if we'd dropped in on a couple of friends.
We also enjoyed a delightful meal served outdoors in the evening sunshine. I can't tell you how much my wife was impressed with my choice.
Part of the charm is in finding Ami Chenin and any difficulties you might have are outweighed by what you find when you get there.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple