“Small portions of very good food well presented”
Review of Les Menestrels

Les Menestrels
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Les Menestrels is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 132 Restaurants in Saumur
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We had a set 3 course meal while on an Odsseys Unlimited tour (14 diners). High quality food propely prepared and artfully presented in a beautiful venue. The service was excellent. The side dishes (polenta and a puree of pumpkin) were a bit bland and the portion sizes overall were just barely sufficient. Good breads and world class butter.

1  Thank aaron l

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We found this place by accident at lunchtime and had a fantastic bistro meal for only E18 for 2 courses, delicious cream of asparagus soup followed by sea trout. We couldn't understand why it wasn't full; it's slightly off the beaten track, yet great shady parking nearby for chateau visiting (just by the steps leading up to the panoramic view). Apparently it's full in the evenings - I hope this review means it's full at lunchtime too as the charming proprietor deserves it!

1  Thank susiew09
Reviewed 4 June 2014

It is wise to book for this restaurant, which we did. It is really charming tucked away on the rue de Raspial close to the chateau. There has been a lot of attention to detail in the decor and furnishings.

The menu at 35.50 euros for an entree, plat and dessert is very reasonable, as you are also given an amuse bouche to start and sweet treats to finish.

Unusually my husband and I chose the same starter and main course. We chose lamb for the main and when madame asked how we liked it cooked and I asked for bien cuit I was given a little smiley frown, but my husband asked for rose and got a beaming smile. I have to say that chef cooked the meat perfectly as we wanted, which in some cases in France doesn't happen. Right through the meal each mouthful was as delicious as the last and we would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant as the service was very good too.

There is a slight downside and that is the cost of the wine, the wine menu is extensive and also quite expensive, but the Sancerre we chose was lovely.

1  Thank Jan T
Reviewed 10 May 2014

On the quay side behind a well placed hotel is this fine dining place. The chef is a master at his craft. On a sunny day one can eat on the lawn or on a balcony.
The food which comes at French speed, is simply classy which is why I'm forbidden to write anything about it!!
I don't eat desserts put do at this place. He' a master so don't miss out on this class act

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is a beautiful restaurant situated right next to the castle. We had a lovely meal and great wine. The staff were friendly and helpful. We would definately return!

1  Thank Faye P