“A friendly place to stay”

La Petra Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Anda
UK
“A friendly place to stay”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We had to change our travel arrangements at the last moment and we arrived unexpectedly at La Petra resort. Upon seeing the resort empty and reading the comments in some reviews, we were a little aprehensive about our stay. However, after a warm welcome and a quick scout around the resort, we were looking forward to our stay. The rate per night also beat neighbouring competition hands-down.

This appears to be a family run resort, so the staff are perhaps not as professionally trained as they might be in other resorts, but they are friendly and polite and couldn't do enough to make our stay comfortable. We received a welcome drink on arrival and advice on restaurant opening times, directions into Anda and wifi access etc.

The room was basic, but comfortable, with plenty of space to move around and place our items. (Hangers weren't in the room but we could have asked for them and i'm sure they could have been provided). Like a previous reviewer, we found the bed sheet to be too small, so we asked for another and we were very comfortable. The bathroom was basic with a poor shower and the water supply did appear to be switched off, however after a quick look, we turned a tap on under the toilet and we were supplied with water. Had we not found this i'm sure that the owner would have helped.

The food in the restaurant was very nice and reasonably priced and the portion sizes suited our big appetites. The breakfasts were particularly tasty and meals were complimented with fresh seasonal fruit and nuts grown locally (when available.) The resort is a bit off the beaten track, so once you are there you are a bit limited for dining options, but being there for 2 nights we didn't find that a problem as we enjoyed the restaurant. Anda itself didn't have many more options to offer if we had ventured out for an evening.

There were no loungers on the beach but upon seeing us heading down that way the staff brought some down for us, along with a cloth covered table. The white sand was lovely but the sea was unfortunately a bit too weedy to swim in. However, we enjoyed a paddle and made use of the swimming pool which we found was well maintained; set in the gardens and away from the hotel rooms and restaurant so it was not over-looked and had a great view of the sea.

The owner provided transport to/from the Port (at a very reasonable cost) and she can also arrange local tours and experiences for guests to enjoy.

There are a few areas where La Petra could make improvements - the shower, perhaps brightening up the rooms, the air con is quite old and maintaining the communcal toilet facilties, but overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. If you are looking for 5 star luxury you may be disappointed, but if you are looking for a friendly, comfortable place to stay - look no further.

Room Tip: The beach huts have a great spot in the gardens with a view of the sea but don't have air-con.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joy0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Newcastle
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Our ferry to Camiguin was cancelled so i made a quick decision to saty in Anda for a couple of nights. I'm really pleased we did as we thoroughtly enjoyed our stay at La Petra.

We were the only people in the resort at the time and the staff were all very thorough and polite.
the food was absolultey delicious, everything we had was amazing.

The private beach is nice and clean and is much better than any other part of the bay that I saw.
the pool area is very attractive although the toilets do need some work.

The rooms weren't top of the range but they provided everything we needed. My only concerns were the very weak shower and the thin curtains that let in the light from outside.

The owner was very attentive and listened to my feedback while she was dropping us back off at the port Jagna.

All in all I was very pleased that we visited Anda and with a little bit of EFFORT this could be a really lovely resort.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 3 October 2013

For the first time ever following reviews in trip advisor let me down . I see there are now reviews that mirror our feelings but they came too late for us (we booked a while ago ) All I can say is what on earth were the previous reviewers who said it was awesome and wonderful thinking of ?? It's made me question whether these are real reviews at all . So let's get into it then- totally totally dreadful . The worst place I've ever ever been . When you arrive you think ok basic but great view . Then you go into your room ugh . I guess sheets etc are clean but nothing else in there has been cleaned this century .. No complimentary water , a napkin to cover ourselves at night . No furniture to put our belongings on we just had a jumble of cases in there that we had to negotiate around in a small space . To be fair my family did have some furniture so in that respect were better off than us . The bathroom is as basic as it gets but the tiles are lethally slippery . That's if you get water as the previous reviewer said they just turn it off without telling you . We came back at 9 pm to no water at all when we asked they said they would turn it on but then only one room got any . So you deal with that and then try to make the best of it and go for food . Oh my god what a disaster , you r stuck in the middle of nowhere with hopeless staff and I mean hopeless , sweet but clueless they just disappear when you try and get an order done ! Then the food arrives and it's vile , truly the best fish we had in 5 seperate ones was tasteless and that was a good one . Can you imagine how you start to feel at that point .. Trapped in a basic not clean room unable to eat any food . So then we started to think ok well beach , pool etc . No sun loungers at beach , only one stool at the beach bar , dirty pool and a few blackened sun loungers that were uncomfortable design . Every little thing we clung to to feel cheerful about just evaporated . We had basically overpaid for a dirty ill run hovel with virtually no facilities . We remembered seeing another resort on the way in on the same track so marched off to see if we could eat there . We could and it was amazing , so good we resolved to move out the next day and in there . I will write another review on Anda white sands but in a nutshell a fabulous place the exact opposite of La Petra . Anyhow we did move out the next day lost 4 nights money because we too stupidly booked through Agoda ( not ever doing that again ) . I'm convinced this is a running scam . They know once you have booked through agoda that's it they have your money so they don't need to improve anything ! Agoda say to you oh let me see if the hotel will refund your money and of course they won't . Anyway to be honest that came later we just wanted to get out of there very fast . The next day we said we were leaving no recriminations , just smiled in the Asian polite way
. I was put on phone to Innes who I think is the owner and she asked if it was the tv . Oh yeah that didn't work either ..
I said we would pay half of the return airport trip as she had picked us up and she went into some long winded ramble which was utter nonsense about how I had to pay 3000 of the 4000 pesos I would have paid if she was taking us back again ! The cheek of the woman knows no limits . Anyway that was too much for me so I said no ok you pick us up the same day at Anda resort . In the end right before we were due to leave Anda I got nervous about this , had a bad feeling she wouldn't pick us up so I delivered half the money -2000 pesos to the resort . So she got paid 5 nights for one and on top of that because we are honest people we paid her what we owed her . I have since heard it is a well worn path - the locals told me it is common for people to check out of la Petra after one night ( losing their cash for nights paid as we did no doubt ) and then they go check into Anda white sands or another place . We couldn't be happier with our second place it was paradise so despite losing all that money we were happy to do it , if we had stayed in La Petra we would have been miserable . DONT DO IT . By the way the lovely resorts nearby are only a little bit more (maximum 20 pounds per night ) for luxury - La Petra's prices for what they provide are a joke . I'm sure this sounds like a rant but seriously if I can stop one more person wasting their money here it's well worth it . I'm soooo annoyed that at the time I booked a few months ago all the reviews said how wonderful this place was .. We were a group of 4 and we all hated it and we sre used to staying in basic places ... As I said I question the validity of previous reviews .

• Stayed October 2013
6 Thank taxedteacher

Travellers are raving about these Anda hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Basic bungalow, seems nice from the outside, too expensive.the bathroom is small and not in good condition.nice restaurant, owner and staff very friendly.nice garden well maintained and great swimming pool.the beach is so so, when it is low tide, it is quite ugly with the rocks and sea grass giving impression of apocalypse.

• Stayed June 2013
Monroe, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This could be a great little resort, however I had numerous issues that prevented me from having a satisfying stay. Not only did I find the room rate extremely overpriced for the quality of facilities offered, but the staff was very unprofessional and in need of some more training.
I had booked and pre-paid for my room prior to my arrival via Agoda.com and this was my first mistake, as after seeing the situation with the resort...and the waste of money for what I was getting, would have been much happier and better off staying in the Anda town center and near to the main beach instead. (This beach is also much nicer than in front of the resort where you can not swim due to the presence of sea-grass and muck in the water) Although clean and reasonably well maintained, my room was not worth what I was paying for it. (I would say that it was triple to what it should have been, even more so as it was the off-season). It was simply a small wooden bungalow with a small, inefficient AC-unit, a basic bathroom without hot water shower (or water at all as was usually the case during my stay), and a window that is open (unsealed) at the top of the opening, which allowed hornets (wasps) to enter twice and a large cockroach once during my stay. This was not a pleasing thing!
I was the only guest staying at the hotel at the time but still the hotel staff seemed incapable to ensuring that my stay was as it should be. For example, the water in my room was turned off on three separate occasions and I had to ask for it to be turned on. Although friendly, the staff is unaccustomed to providing helpful information such as with directions or transport options. The manager lives off site at her other property for half of the time and seems to only come by the resort to to lounge around. The hotel's restaurant offers decent food but at double to triple the normal rate as you can find at better and cheaper restaurants in Anda, however these are around a 30 minute walk away either via the beach (only possible at low tide), or the roadway, adding another inconvenience.
Although Anda and Bohol are beautiful, and I highly recommend you visit here, I would not recommend this hotel as per what I have described. If I return to the area, I will be happily staying elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Pjsalt
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed there for 2 nights, the resort owns a private beach with stunning ocean view and a bar, benches and table were set up for us, also with complimentary welcome drinks. The owner is a very friendly lady with an worldly sense of hospitality and provided us a great tour around Bohol with her local insights. Food was great, home grown vegetables and very fresh fish and meat, definitely recommend the grilled fish steak. If you really want to experience Bohol in its own local way, this is the place to go.

My only advice is to contact the hotel to arrange pick-up service at the port before your departure, as the resort is relatively far away from the Tagbilaran ferry pier and there is a good chance to be ripped off on transportation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Leeds
Reviewed 14 April 2013

From the hustle and bustle of the city of Manila, it was great to finally get some peace and rest. The place was a gem of a find. Sometimes it can be difficult to find a place as some places are not sign posted very well, but this one is a lovely place. It has cabins over looking the sea, has a pool and best of all a private beach with a small bar. What people need to realize is how the service is compared to other places in the Philippines, not from other places in the world. The service here for me was great. Okay sometimes you have to wait 5 minutes, but you need to remember to relax too and remember where you are and why you came.... For a RELAXING time. Exactly the place to do it. Nice and clean. Has a real luxury secluded Island feel about it too. The guy who was constantly entertaining us was called Johnny, lovely guy who went out his way to please his guests. Free breakfast and great food. This place is defiantly for the people or couples who want to embrace another countries culture and really relax and chill with the locals too (Who are awesome and friendly!). Will be coming back here in the future!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anda
Anda White Beach Resort
Ocean Suites Boutique Hotel Bohol
Ocean Suites Boutique Hotel Boho...
#1 of 11 in Tagbilaran City
Amun Ini Beach Resort & Spa
Dao Diamond Hotel & Restaurant
Dao Diamond Hotel & Restaurant
#5 of 11 in Tagbilaran City

Been to La Petra Beach Resort? Share your experiences!