“Wonderful surprise!”
Review of Hotel du Palais

Hotel du Palais
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Angouleme
Reviewed 22 May 2013

With it's own eclectic style, the Du Palais is full of charm. Very reasonable and right in the middle of town. Dominic and his lovely wife couldn't be more helpful and attentive. You will enjoy a wonderful breakfast and be sure to buy a jar or two of homemade jams made by Dominic's wife. Incredible. Not a new hotel but the bright colors and plentiful charm of the staff more than make up for it. Very clean and the wi-fi is free.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank casey c

Reviewed 7 March 2013

My room was a double superior room with floor to ceiling french doors opening onto a lovely wrought iron balcony and overlooking the square. Both the location of the hotel and the location of the room were perfect as I could watch people shopping and relaxing in the sun below and only needed to step outside and I was amongst the boutiques and restaurants of Angouleme.
There was a small fridge, but no tea or coffee facilities or drinking glasses, and the bathroom amenities consisted of one towel, no bathmat and plenty of liquid soap - however, the bed was extremely comfortable with plenty of pillows.
I had difficulty at first getting WIFI to connect on either my iPhone 4 or my lap top computer but the proprietor, Dominic, went to great lengths to assist with this problem.
Breakfast was generous and delicious. It consisted fruits, yogurt, breads, pastries, croissants along with cheeses, ham, prosciutto, boiled eggs etc and do-it-yourself freshly squeezed orange juice.
So, whilst the amenities were a little spartan, the bed was comfortable, breakfast was great, the location was perfect, and the proprietor was hospitable and wonderful - and I would definitely choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2013

colourful decor friendly staff. free wifi. Room poorly equipped but reasonable size. french tV channels only and a bit basic 1 or 2 star uk standard. How ever it is right in centre of Angouleme and was a fairly reasonable price. Clean and practical. More than one night may start to frustrate!!

Room Tip: we had first floor front superior . some street noise (but was friday night)
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed at this Hotel on 22/09/12, we were asked to leave car keys at reception incase our car needed to be moved in the hotel garage!..... a bit odd, but we did leave them! on return to the car the next day, the fuel cap was open....and the doors unlocked... not until we were a few miles out of town did I notice that half a tank of fuel had gone! I had topped the tank up before parking up, the fuel cap locks when doors are locked, doors will not lock if cap is open, so my keys must have been used, and fuel taken.
The room was old and shabby, and would not get one star in the UK, I'm not up on French law but that place is a death trap, if there was a fire, the main door to the room was so small our case would not go through, we had to turn it side on to get it in the room, a real hell hole!!!
I can't think why we stayed!!!!!

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lol2
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel for the weekend. We have been upgraded to the most expensive room, however the bathroom was old, the shower was not working properly and water was coming out, we had no towels and when we complained with the guy at the reception he said "this is france"! Not recomended at all, expensive for what is offers! However good location in the centre of town!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank iCharlie79
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This is a traditional French hotel located in the very heart of the old town in a charming tree lined square with a fountain in the centre surrounded by tables from the square cafés where people were sitting outside in the shade enjoying a drink when we arrived. Of course the weather was beautiful when we were there and this added to the delight of the setting. Typical of many of the older French hotels it doesn’t have air conditioning and I would imagine it could get rather stuffy in the rooms on very hot days in the height of summer but for us with the temperature around 24°C (75°F) it was just fine.

We had a good sized room overlooking the square which was very clean and comfortable. The decorative style throughout the hotel is slightly bizarre with some very strong colours; they certainly don’t go in for the pastel shades! The public areas downstairs for example are shades of plum, burgundy, scarlet in satins and velvets. Our room was in orange and peach! I thought the breakfast was quite good value at €6.50 Euros each with a fair selection of cold ham, cheese, boiled eggs, crusty bread, cereals, croissants, preserves etc. There is also a very good toaster!

If you’re in a car as we were, the hotel has off-street parking in their own garage charged at €7.00 Euros a night which is very useful since there is much demand for the on-street parking outside.

The hotel has quite a good website with a clearly displayed pricing matrix which varies according to the size of the room, its location, days of the week etc. Also they let you know whether the room has a shower or a bath and also the size of the beds, doubles and singles, which can be quite important for larger people. Standard room prices start at €70.00 Euros which is probably reasonable but I think the better, larger rooms are quite expensive relative to the overall quality of the hotel, this also being dependent on whether or not they overlook the courtyard to the rear or the square at the front (Louvel). Overall, we were very satisfied with the hotel and its superb location.

Finally, for a very good evening meal I can heartily recommend restaurant Chez Paul which is situated a few doors away at 8 Place Francis Louvel. Come out of the hotel, turn right and walk for 40 yards!

Room Tip: Get on to their website and choose a room ovelooking the square (Louvel).
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John F
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I booked a room at Le palais via their online website. They took my money. The following day I got a strange e-mail saying my booking was cancelled so I e-mailed them. Shortly after I got a phone call from them to say they had no rooms and I would be refunded. I have no problem with this refund, but I'm now struggling to find accommodation (there's a cartoon festival in the city) It seems their website doesn't give live availability.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple