“Best Tourist Attraction in France”
Review of Remy Martin

Remy Martin
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Cognac
More attraction details
Owner description: All year round by reservation, the House of Remy Martin reveals its know-how, history and values. Rooted in exception and creativity, each of our 15 programs is accompanied by a tasting moment so that you live a unique experience (from 1 hour to 1 day) surrounded by a dedicated and passionate team. From April to September by reservation, the Estate in Merpins opens its doors to visitors. Aboard a train, discover in comfort the production facilities of Remy Martin cognacs.
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have been living in France for 6 years and this was the first time I can honestly say the service was beyond expectations. Th guide was so knowledgeable and friendly, the estate was sublime and the tasting was accompanied with gourmet food. The fee was only 18€ for 90 minutes and the tasting plus kids are free!! The guide was very friendly with the kids as well and they had cookies and juice instead of Cognac.
I highly recommend this visit!!!!

1  Thank SDoublait

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our group of 6 went on the "At the Estate in Merpins" tour at Remy Martin and we all enjoyed it very much. Our guide was knowledgeable, friendly and spoke excellent English. The tour was was well-orgainsed and we were told a lot of interesting information about the process of making cognac. A little train took us around the estate and we got to visit buildings where the different processes took place. The tour ended with a tasting of two cognacs and a small bite to eat (including a really delicious macaroon).

2  Thank delta004
Reviewed 26 October 2013

If you have time, go visit the beautifully organized Remy Martin domaine.
Lear about Cognac production, tradition in the modern days.
Extremely accommodating hosts, great tour!

2  Thank Superann
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I had taken the combined Domaine and Maison tour (Estate and house), at 75 Euros per person. There was my uncle and myself.
I booked a morning tour, as the afternoon one was full.
Originally we were supposed to meet our tour guide at the Estate, about 4km outside of Cognac, then drive back and meet at the Maison. I had requested if we would be picked up at the Maison and then chauffeured to the Estate and back. They had no problems with my request, which was fantastic. I didn't want my uncle to have to drive, do a tasting, and drive back into town, do more tastings and drive some more. Much more safer this way.
The Remy House was only about a 15min walk from our hotel (hotel Francois 1er, great hotel btw).
We met with our tour guide at the Remy House and was greeted by Matilda. She was absolutely superb. She spoke great English, albeit with a French accent, but she is Polish.

Not sure what you call it, but she is currently studying in the field of wine, spirits, etc, so she knew her stuff really well.
I was expecting more people to join us for the morning tour, but to my surprise it was just my uncle and myself. So we sort of a got a private tour for just the both of us. The tour was supposed to last 3 hours, but instead went on for 4.

We set off for the Estate, and in her boss' Peugeot. I really appreciated all they did for my request to drive us. We visited the Estate first and was there for about 45mins, and had a tasting of Coeur de Cognac. This is in between their VSOP and XO. I actually bought a bottle of this and brought it back home.
Afterwards we headed back to the Maison and did the tour there and the final tastings. Great tour and Matilda answered all my questions with great explanations.

Now the tastings. We had three more tastings, paired with food, both sweet and salty, such as macarons, smoked salmon hors d'ouvre. We sampled three different kinds of Cognac but I only remember two of them, a VSOP and XO. I had a great time during the tasting, being able to taste the difference between the various kinds of Cognac. Near the end, Matilda asked us if we wanted to try another Cognac, and I obliged. We tasted the Centaur de Cognac. This is on a higher level than XO. Aged longer and costs about 900 Euros a bottle. Exquisite.

Good times and great discussions had extended our tasting an extra hour, without us knowing, not even Matilda. We only knew of the time when her colleague called the room to let her know that another group was going to do a tasting and that they had to prepare the room and Cognac tastings.

So even though at 75 Euros per person, my uncle and I got a private tour of the Estate and Maison, had extra tastings and an extra hour of tour time. We felt we got our money's worth.

Really recommend this tour.
If you have a group of 4, try the workshop where you make your own Cognac, for 100 Euros per person. I wanted to do this, but I only had two people in my party. I did the Cognac workshop at Camus instead, but it is 160 Euros per person, and not really worth it in my opinion if you can do the Remy one.

2  Thank T33D33
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We visited the beautiful Remy facilities many years ago with three small girls.we had a wonderful visit including a trip on a little train. Although the girls were aged between fourteen and seven they really enjoyed it too and we're not bored,although they missed put on the tasting!
We visited again this month with out now grown up daughter and her husband. Having "bigged up"the visit to my son in law we were very disappointed. The guide did not speak very good English. We all felt we might have been happier with the French tour as we all have a little French.
The guide spoke such poor English that we felt that most visitors found it very hard work to get the most from the visit. We learned So much about the production, and making of this spirit from our first trip. The guide then had been a linguist and maybe more importantly passionate about his subject. We did not get the same this year.
Please do visit Remy it is a wonderful experience if you get a good guide

1  Thank jacqueline57