“Its was an IBIS - doesnt pretend to be anything more!”

Ibis La Rochelle Vieux Port
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in La Rochelle
Dublin, Ireland
“Its was an IBIS - doesnt pretend to be anything more!”
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Arrived here with my wife and 18month old daughter to be told that the baby cot we requested at booking was not available. Walked into room and was immediatly hit with the woodchip wallpapar and tired condition of the family room - could we last three days here? No we couldnt! I went downstairs and informed the girl behind the desk that we'd be checking out in the morning. I wasnt sure we could due to our booking conditions, however she accepted that we werent happy with the hotel.
To top everything in middle of the night our daughter fell out of the main bed on to the tile floor hitting her head.
The hotel front (not in pictures) has currently (Sept 10) got the whole road dug up and has some major works going on there. Worth mentioning as they seem to hide this in their photos.
I do have to say the girl behind the desk at checkin and the next morning seemed very sincere and was genuinly helpful - I think she was probably the only French person we met on our 3 day break there that was actually pleasent.
My advise - dont visit with kids and know what an IBIS offers (or doesnt!)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 23 August 2010

This was our second stay here. You will not find a better location in La Rochelle, although don’t expect a view. Do not stay here if you are looking for a luxury hotel. But do stay here if you want somewhere to stay which offers the right location, is quiet, spotlessly clean, offers good value for money and an excellent shower and has very welcoming reception staff.

The proximity to the station (trains and buses) is an added bonus.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Stayed here for one night at the end of July and was very impressed. Friendly staff, clean and functional room with with comfy bed and clean bathroom, towels etc. AC very welcome. Right by the marina. Will go back next time in La Rochelle.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2010

My fiancee and his auntie and uncle stayed in the Ibis La Rochelle Vieux Port hotel for three nights, it's very reasonable and the rooms are simple and comfortable, all you need for a short stay. There is parking available on the streets close by and "Parking Bastion" just next to the hotel provides parking all day and secure locked parking at night, all for a few euros. The location is great, it's very close to La Rochelle's gorgeous marina, restaurants, old town and shops all of which are a 5 - 10 min walk.
The only unfortunate part of our whole stay was that we were robbed of around £1000 between us, from our luggage which was in our rooms. The rooms showed no signs of forced entry, but my case was forced open using my own scissors! and only cash was taken, a mix of sterling and euros. Nothing personal was taken, so these people new what they were looking for, we were also in a very quiet part of the hotel on the top floor, right at the end of the hallway. Anyone can walk into this hotel and get in the lift without question, as is the case in most hotels, so my advice is please use the Hotel safe for any valuables.
I must also add that the Hotal staff were very helpful and took my partner to the Police station the next day, translated everything and even gave us our last night for free, which softened the blow a little. I would still recommend using this hotel as it ticks a lot of boxes, just use the safe for your valuables.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank papillon81
Chelmsford
Reviewed 1 June 2010

After arriving in La Rochelle Ville Gare we had a pleasant walk to the hotel where the check in was dealt with to much problem. Arrived in the room which was very clean and tidy. We slept all week very well only to be woken by some noise of people in the streets but people soon went passed . The only thing I can say is that the staff made us feel at home. And was happy to help me when I got my French wrong. La Rochelle it's self is going through some re-workings which at first sight makes it look a bit scruffy around the hotel area but don't let this put you off. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and La Rochelle I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2010

This Ibis is in a great location. However the rooms are not that great, and are very stuffy and noisy at night. Also at 84 euros a night are not particularly budget.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank DevonEddy
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I stayed at the Ibis La Rochelle Vieux Port for a long weekend (Fri-Mon) in mid-Aug 2009. The hotel was better than average for a 2 star, both the room and batroom were modern, clean and functional and it also had AC that worked well (which was needed with temps over 30C most of the time I was there). A flat screen TV with cable (including BBC world) and free in-room wifi was also provided. The hotel location was excellent for sightseeing in La Rochelle. The old hardbour and old town are very close at hand, as are all the main tourist attractions along with a large numnber of bars and restaurants. The train station is a few blocks from the hotel and buses to Isle de Re leave from there so that was also very convenient. I booked well in advance via the IBIS website and was able to take advantage of a 30% discount for a 3-night stay (effectively 3 nights for 2 nights charge); I paid 64 Euros/night with the web discount. I did not eat breakfast at the hotel as there are numerous cafes nearby where coffee and croissants are available. Breakfast at the hotel was available for 8 Euros extra/day.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends