“A holiday in Provence”

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Lakewood, Ohio
5 helpful votes
“A holiday in Provence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2006

I have the good fortune of having a sister living in one of the world's most wonderful cities - Paris. For my 2005 visit, I timed going over to correspond with the Toussaint Holiday (end of October/ first of November)when schoolchildren in France are off for a week. For the holiday we decided to take a road trip and explore the Provence! We rented a wonderful vacation house in the beautiful town of Roussillon. Roussillon served as our home base for a week of exploring. Our 'holiday house' (as my 3 year old nephew Adam termed our temporary home) at the edge of town was perfectly situated. My sister located the house by running an internet search for vacation rentals. Fully equipped with 3 bedrooms, full bath, kitchen and beautiful patio w/ built-in brick grill accomodated the 5 of us quite perfectly. Dan, my beau-frere (French for brother-in-law) appreciated the grill since they currently live in center city Paris. Roussillon is a beautiful town and famous for its ochre cliffs and multihued buildings. We spent the week making daytrips to many of the regions attractions. The only problem we had was trying to figure out what to include in our brief 'taste' of Provence!

5 Thank kim y
Alexandria, Louisiana
35 helpful votes
“Nimes France where and the Roman ruins Thomas Jefferson loved”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2004

We have friends in St. Priest-en-Jarez and they suggested that we visit Nimes, France if we liked Roman ruins. THe ruins there are spectacular and we stayed at a hotel (where they train prospective hotel managers) on Rue John F Kennedy where they ironed the clothes in your closet while we were out at night for no extra charge and without a request.
We found out at the Jefferson/Napoleon exhibit at the NEw Orleans Museum of Art that Thomas Jefferson had a sketch drawn of some of the same Roman ruins we visited on one of his trips to Nimes. The hotel and city are delightful and we can't wait to return. Theere is a well presserved Roman aqueduct, too, that flowed into the city from Pont du Gard.

9 Thank NGrandquis
Chicago
109 helpful votes
“car rental provence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2003

A great way to explore Provence is by car. That's what i just did with my girlfriend in july 2003. Our base was Avignon, and spent several days exploring different areas before leaving for the other Provence, the Cote D'azur. A car rental gave us all the freedom we desired during our trip, and eliminated most of the hassles created by tour groups, trains, busses. parking everywhere was easy. Avignon, is a big cosmopolitan city, but it was nice to see and walk within the old walled part for an evening or so. The most charming part of Provence though was the drives into the little villages, and the charming views along the way. Let me make a few suggestions based on my experience: 1. If you plan to stay in Avignon, try the Hotel Europe, and read my other review about Avignon Grand Hotel.
2. Avignon is a nice one evening stroll in the old part, and perhaps a quick check of the palais des papes in the morning.
3. Avoid Carpentras, even driving thru it. It is ugly, and completely uninspiring.
4. if you like hidden villages, you must check Crestet. it is on the way to Vaison-La-Romain, 3 Km before, and was so nice. It has a beautiful snack place at the top of the old chateau with the most outstanding views of Mont Ventoux and the valley. it has basically no tourists when we went except four from Denmark. The place makes great crepes! The village was recommended to us by a shop owner in the Village of Malancet, which is on the way to Vaison-la-Romaine. Malancet itself is nice and has its own charm. The shop owner was gracious enough to buy me stamps and drop my postcards for me the next morning.
5. Vaison-La-Romaine was nice, but was very crowded with tourists, like us!
6. For the most charming dirt road drive, you must make the drive from Crestet to Seguret; basically drive west from crestet to seguret, and follow the road signs. To say the views are stunning is an understatement. I can assure you that you will absolutely love Seguret.
It hugs the mountain, but does not fall! Trust me, Go there, and check the views. it is absolutely heavenly. The people are so nice. the stores are great. Both crestet and Seguret and the drive in between was one of our highlights!!
6. Aix-en-provence has more character than Avignon, in my beliefs. For a great cup of coffee and great people watching, go to the Cafe Rotonde, right near the famous fountain. The waitresses are very nice.
The old part of town is great for window shopping as well. at least a night or two in Aix is worth it.
7. if you like touristy stuff, go to Gordes, and Roussillon.
8. if you love street markets, which my girlfriend does, you must try the sunday or Thursday market days at Ile-sur-la-Sorgue. The town is charming too, and the market is great for everything, produce, souvenirs, paintings, food! the place is 20 minutes by car from Avignon, and is recommended!

25 Thank ChicagoNed
Boston MA
162 helpful votes
“The Luberon is luxury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2003

Aix-e-P has the Foundation Vasserely, & Mt St Victoire. Gordes has hiking, wandering thru mideval village, & the perfect weather of June.
Oppede is another antique village but less traveled and also less of a hassel. I highly recommend the bike route from Cavillion to Apt.
Lourmarin, south of the Luberon mountains, is flat rather than on a slope but has the same charm. In a Mistral, it is in the lee of the wind! Each of the hillside villages is old and quaint; they are similar yet different in subtle ways: Benneux, Rousillion, Lacoste, Mennerbe.
Gordes is the busiest. Oppede the most quite. All share the sunshine, peace, & vineyards and agriculture of the Luberon valley. Apt, Avignon, & Cavillion are too large.

2 Thank Westontraveler

Been to Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur? Share your experiences!