“High quality stylish and distinctive accommodation in every sense yet still welcoming with an air of ease. of welcome an”
Review of La Maison d'Aix

La Maison d'Aix
Ranked #1 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We were blown away by the elegance of this lovely accommodation. Our preference is for small highnquality boutique accommodation and Mauson d'Aix met our exceeded our expectations. We have never seen such fine attention to detail. The construction materials of the rooms are warm and easy on the eye. The location is terrific. Easy walking distance to everywhere and the university park just across the road. Lots of great suggestions for dining. Breakfast great, laundry organised and all in all a terrific experience. We will certainly return and let our friends know too.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Drawdog

Reviewed 18 June 2011

Absolutely one of the best places I ever stayed, although I did many ... Superb room, superb service, superb breakfast, perfect location ! Owners did their absolute best for suggestions, reservations, transport, etc ! Located close to cours mirabeau, restaurants, railway station, etc. Nothing negative to report.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank KDKLeuven
Reviewed 16 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at La Maison d’Aix for one night in mid-May 2011 as our first stop on a week-long wine and food tour of Provence and Burgundy.

La Maison is located on a quiet street just a short walk away from Cours Mirabeau, the tree-lined social hub of Aix-en-Provence, and is housed in a beautifully-restored heritage mansion that was once an antique shop and residence owned by a legendary chatelaine.

Entering La Maison exposes a modern and elegant décor that reveals the owners’ obviously keen sense of design and style. The main floor encompasses a beautifully furnished sitting area centered on a large fireplace, a sleek, modern kitchen and a bright and airy breakfast room with a large communal table. The lower level features a quiet and tranquil spa area with a steam room and jacuzzi.

Our room was on the first floor, adjacent to the salon. The room was spacious, with light wood-plank floors and abundant natural light from a large window overlooking the garden. The room was furnished with a large, comfortable bed with luxurious linens and an elegant oversized upholstered headboard, a writing desk and chair, and an armchair. Spanning one end-wall of our open concept room was a expansive bathroom vanity and mirror, flanked on one side by a glass-enclosed walk-in shower (with a very innovative drain) and on the other by a separate toilet room.

Even though there are four separate accommodations at La Maison, we didn’t once encounter, or even hear, the other guests. The service throughout our short stay was warm and personal. Guests are encouraged to help themselves to complimentary coffee, tea and mineral water or the beer and wine honour bar in the kitchen. La Maison also offers free Wi-Fi throughout the property which, unlike some of our other experiences in France, worked flawlessly.

We had the pleasure of meeting La Maison’s owners, Laura and Edward, who arrived as we were on our way out to dinner. Unfailing warm and engaging, Laura and Edward provided an excellent recommendation for our only dinner in Aix, resulting in a meal that stands out as one of the best of our trip.

Over a delicious homemade breakfast the following morning, Laura and Edward recounted the history of the house, its previous owner and how they came to own and create this beautiful guest house. The conversation soon broadened to encompass family, careers and life in general, and we truly felt like we were among friends.

Returning to La Maison after a morning of exploring Aix, we found Edward holding court with several of his and Laura’s friends. We were due at our next destination later that afternoon, but found it hard to resist Edward’s insistence that we join them for a glass of champagne. When we finally and somewhat reluctantly made our exit, after much conversation, wine and an impromptu lunch, we felt as though we were leaving the home of friends, rather than checking out of a hotel.

I’m not sure that my words above, or any review for that matter, could ever do justice to this gem and I highly recommend that you experience La Maison for yourself.

3  Thank MrBandMrsS
Reviewed 7 June 2011

The location was fantastic, the reception was wonderful, the room was tastefully decorated with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was excellent with good quality bath products. Breakfast was lovely too. If I am back in Aix, I will certainly stop again at La Maison d'Aix.

2  Thank taridan
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I just returned from my stay at la Maison d’aix, and I had to post a review. Our stay was exactly what I was hoping it would be, even better. This was a special trip (20 years marriage) for my husband and I and I wanted everything to be perfect. It truly was! We stayed there for nearly a week. Location was important as we wanted to be within walking distance of Aix en Provence’s center. It was perfect, two minutes walk away from the famous Cours Mirabeau. Restaurants were nearby as well as most of the better shops of Aix en Provence.

No big showy sign outside, just a little one that seems to be here for years. This discretion made us feel we were in a very special space. The hotel was immaculately decorated with made to measure furniture in the hall and in the guest rooms. The common areas and “salon rouge” are exquisite.Rooms are big and very quiet. The photos on the site don't do the rooms justice. The bathrooms were beautifully equipped and housekeeping was impeccable. The beds were very comfortable and the linens are to die for - crisp and lovely. Each night, our bed and pillows were lightly perfumed. There is no point in resisting to that appeal ! The breakfast is top-notch.

The staff is professional and extremely helpful. They are willing to do whatever you ask with a smile. We asked for a half day trip in the Calanques of Cassis and they just organized our day perfectly. We arrived Cassis by car, a skipper was waiting for us. The boat was exactly what we asked for and the service was great (we had a bottle of white wine with some appetizer to enjoy the sunset). If you can go for it, do it. It’s just incredible. The hotel also arranged our airport transfers in a large mercedes.
The staff is great.
No request was unmet. We will be back!
 Can't get much better than this if you are looking for luxury and top service.

1  Thank johnams
Reviewed 27 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at this 4 bedroom hotel for three delightfuls days, we did enjoy everything from the arrival to the departure. Shall I say that we travelled a lot in Southeast Asia and India were in every hotel the service is excellent. We were so pleasantly surprised by the service in this hotel. The staff is discreetly there to satisfy all your needs and even to anticpate them: everything is possible from finding a car park to booking restaurants or advices on places to visit... there is a free wi-fi, free Nespresso and free fruits! Laura, the owner architect redesigned the mansion to house 3 bedrooms, one suite, two salons and a kitchen. In the basement, there is a very quiet room and a jaccuzzi. The place is just absolutely gorgeous, very modern and extremely quiet at night. It reminded me of the poem "l'invitation au voyage"of Baudelaire,
Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
Luxe, calme et volupté.

Reviewed 25 May 2011

I have never felt moved to write a hotel review before visiting La Maison d'Aix however this hotel and operation deserves significant praise.
La Maison d"Aix is a renovated mansion is in the historic residential district of Aix En Provence and is a very short walk to shopping and dining. The property offers a quiet location with terrific accessibility to the surrounding area as well as to the greater Provence region.
The architect/owner has exquisite taste and possesses the sensitivity to balance a uniquely modern aesthetic while respecting the historic charm of the property and area. Every aspect of our stay had been considered and their service was attentive yet non intrusive. The rooms are spacious, beautiful and well appointed. The breakfast was fresh, delicious and was prepared for us at the time that we requested. Wifi is complimentary and the available parking garage is a very short walk from the hotel. Area parking can be limited.
I found La Maison d'Aix to be much more than a bed and breakfast; better and more interesting than many quality hotels; comfortable like your home. The experience is one of artistic inspired luxury in an intimate setting with a desirable degree of service. I consider my wife and I to be demanding (yet relatively low key) travelers who appreciate the care of quality service presented in a beautiful and unique environment. This hotel and their staff delivered beyond our expectations. Check out their website, look at the photos, do your research.....you will not be disappointed.
My wife and I hope to go back someday and visit again with Laura, her husband Edouard and their wonderful La Maison d'Aix.

5  Thank europebound522