“Cezanne a masterpiece”

Boutique Hotel Cezanne
Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Reviewed 10 May 2007

Based upon the reviews here, I booked the Hotel Cezanne for 4 nights in early May at the end of a Provence trip and I very much enjoyed the unique hotel. I booked Aix as I'd heard, rightly as it turned out, that it's close to Marseille airport and was a small, univeristy
town with plenty of Provencal charm, which also turned out to be very
true.

Upon arriving on the SNCF bus from Marseille, I got my luggage together and approached a taxi driver and as a habit, gave him the hotel name before getting into the car. He chuckled and said not to bother as the Cezanne was barely half a block up from the small Aix train station. I thanked him for his help and made my way to the Cezanne, and was greeted by a very well dressed desk clerk who checked me into room 306 within a few minutes. The elevator can be a tad slow and is rather small as you wouldn't get much more than two people with luggage into the lift. The spiral staircase is carpeted and I used it more often than the elevator the rest of my 4 night stay. My room, # 306, was well appointed with a large king bed, feather pillows and comforter, a large bathroom with tub + shower and a decent closet which had a refurbished antique book to it that added a nice touch. One feature business travelers may appreciated beyond the free mini-bar is the free safe that is big enough to accommodate a laptop. And, unlike others I encountered, this safe was easily set with a personal four digit combination. The room decor was a mix of modern & antique but it worked well and was quite comfortable for my tastes.

Besides it's location near the train station in Aix, the Cezanne is a very short walk to the tourism office which faces the main fountain, La Rotonde, which lies at one end of the Cours Mirabeau, a mini-Champs Elysee with as much traffic. Aix is quite walkable and the Cezanne does have an umbrella stand by the door should you have forgotten to bring one. Luckily for me they did as my four night stay was pretty well all rain from showers to outright downpours.

As others have mentioned, the free internet service is another nice touch and was much appreciated my me as I was able to keep in email contact with friends & family without spending a small fortune. Just off the main lobby is a bar area with a stocked cooler with chilled wine & beer that you could charge to your room. The bottle of beer I had one night at 5 EUR was more than I could've paid elsewhere but it wasn't outrageously priced and I appreciated a cold beer at the end of a day of touring. The lobby bar has quite a dramatic set of modern art and is set in lighting that changes slowly from white to blue to red.

The EUR 120 per night I paid was more than other hotels I'd stayed at in Provence but I found the Cezanne offered good value for a 3-star hotel with as good a location as it has. That rate wasn't out of line with similiar quality hotels in Aix either based upon the internet research I'd done before selecting the Cezanne. The staff were always quite pleasant and acknowledged me every time I walked through the lobby or left me room key at the front desk. I don't really have too many negatives to pass along other than my lukewarm tolerence for feather pillows and the one afternoon siesta I had derailed by construction work on the floor below. The Cezanne is a solid 3-star French hotel with a great location offering good value in a charming and unique package. I appreciated the fact it wasn't a chain hotel that and had it's own identity and would highly recommend
it to anyone wanting a little more luxury without breaking the bank.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
4  Thank tcook052
Write a ReviewReviews (1,140)

Reviewed 27 April 2007

Terrible experience at Hotel Cezanne.
We arrived in a rainstorm to find out that the hotel was overbooked and that they would not honor our reservations. It just got worse. The front desk staff were rude and refused to let us speak to the manager. Their resolution was to send us to their "sister" property. Big, big mistake. This "sister" hotel was a disaster!!! We felt taken advantage of and scammed in every way. I have traveled several times to various parts of Europe and have never experienced such poor customer service, arrogance, and unprofessional conduct as my April Hotel Cezanne experience. Beware!!!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank tllemarr
Reviewed 26 April 2007

Location was close to city centre, free mini-bar in room (no alcoholic drinks in mini-bar), very comfortable bed with feather pillows, large washroom with good shower & tub, staff very friendly and helpful.

Standard double room was very small and hard for two people to manouver around - not much room for luggage, hotel is renovating and the noise starts at approx 9 am - not good if you want to sleep in or have an afternoon sleep, the street noise is very loud and it's hard to have a good night sleep if you are a light sleeper, the air conditioning is not turned on until May and it's very stuffy and warm at night.

Overall, would probably try another hotel next time in a quieter location.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank DahliaDeb
Reviewed 24 April 2007

Writing from Hotel Cezanne right now.

Unfortunately I have to leave in a few hours, but it is indisputable that this id a really, really nice hotel.

It is classified as a 3 star hotel, but it feels like much more than that. In my best opinion, it is more in the league with Sofitel and better than Radisson SAS.

I think the reason it is a 3 star is that they don’t offer 24 hour room service and that there is no Restaurant.

The rooms are very nice with huge beds, large plasma tv, tub, free soda and water and free WIFI. Bring your PC and you are all set. Otherwise use the business centre by the lobby.

We are travelling with a 5 year old and a baby and the crib was already made and ready. This is actually not that common even though you would think so. Further more, the bed for our oldest son was a real bed, and not just a camp bed. We have seen this to be the case even at 5 star hotels.

The location can’t be beat. Two minutes walk to Cours Mirabeau and all the shopping and great cafes you could ask for.

Breakfast is much better than usually seen at 3 star hotels, but is not included in the price. If you are not a morning eater skip it, and stroll down to the cafes for a croissant and a Café Crème.

In the lobby there are bowls with nuts, grapes and apples free of charge and a self service bar.

The best thing is though that everybody is extremely friendly.

We have loved our stay here and hope to return ASAP.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank love2travel2
Reviewed 24 April 2007

This hotel was booked for 3 nights as a result of the wonderful Trip Advisor reviews, however, was extremely disappointed in the room quality, which had not been renovated and was extremely "average" - avoid #111 for now, until it is upgraded. Room renovations are presently taking place, and like others, I would have liked to have known about same - Madame, Le Directeur, was sympathetic and gracious.
On the plus side, great free internet access for guests(3 computers), friendly staff and handy location.

Stayed: April 2007
Reviewed 22 April 2007

My husband and I spent five nights at the Cezanne. The location, the staff and the hotel could not have been better. The staff at the desk were extremely helpful and knowledgeable of the area. Having free internet at your fingertips with an English keyboard topped off a quite nice stay.

Linda and Douglas
Houston, Texas

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Oliviahouston
Reviewed 18 April 2007

I would not recommend Hotel Cezanne. Hotel Cezanne does not honor reservations. My family (group of 6) made reservations 4 months in advance with this hotel and received confirmations. We reserved 3 rooms, 2 people per room. Upon arrival at Hotel Cezanne, the hotel representative behind the counter said they had no reservations for us as they had "over-booked" and that our reservation number meant nothing to them. We ended up staying at their sister hotel, supposedly 15 minutes away, but it took us 45 minutes to get there, that was a complete dump! We had no other choice but to stay there and they were absolutely terrible accommodations, but the staff was very nice. So, do yourself a favor and have peace of mind by making a hotel reservation somewhere that you know will honor your confirmation number. To say the least, it was very frustrating dealing with the representative and Manager of this hotel. They were no help to us and we felt we were turned away and thrown out in the rain. They have extremely poor customer service at this hotel and it made for a horrible experience.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family