“STYLE IS THE BY-WORD”
Review of Villa Gallici

Villa Gallici
Ranked #2 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stepping into Villa Gallici is like stepping back into the last century and into a luxurious Italian Villa, typically over stuffed with sumptuous silken drapes and heavy brocades. but it all works brilliantly.

Villa Gallici is 5 minutes walk into the main city of Aix, hidden in a secluded, secret garden.
Secure Parking is available in the front of the Villa entrance
The Reception doubles as a lavender Boutique and is a tranquil, perfumed delight after travelling.
A nice touch is the little almond cakes and tea offered at check in as well as at the Pool come 4pm.

The rooms are kept in Italianate style - if minimalism is your thing, you will suffocate here. Toile and acres of drapes are everywhere. The beds are extremely comfortable, fine bed linen and good quality pillows assure one of a good night's sleep. The bathroom is not large but is modern and has everything one would need. Bath lotion and ear buds in the toiletries kit would have been a nice addition in exchange of one less chocolate.

At the end of August most of the Restauranteurs and shop keepers close down for a well earned holiday after the long hot summer season, so although the night life of Aix called so did the excellent Meal in the hotel. Dinner is served on a delightful Terrace, shaded by giant Poplars and overlooking the swimming pool.
Birds are very much a theme and adorable little china ornaments of every avian variety are dotted about. Another nice feature was a shawl draped over the back of a dining chair in case the air proved too chilly.
At the Breakfast Buffet there is a fountain against the wall and magnificent roses of every hue are set in the basin, so Style, what they do best, is all around one.
The quality of the food is excellent, the menu varied and a varied good wine list particularly of the famous Provencal Rosé wines.

No one does Rude like the French, but if one can see past this, a sojourn here in Aix is a true pleasure.

Room Tip: The hotel is small so all rooms are about the same. For a longer stay you may want to choose a Gard...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Villa Gallici

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We just returned from a three week trip to France. Our last stop was the Villa Gallici. The villa was perfection from start to finish. The villa and grounds were beautiful. Arrival and check in were flawless. The suite was one of the most beautiful I have stayed in. We had a large bedroom, living room, sunroom and terrace overlooking the pool and gardens. The suite had a large bathroom with a seperate shower. The decor is exceptional in the public areas as well. The breakfast buffet is lovely, but I do think they should include hot items as part of the price. We enjoyed dinner at the hotel as well and it was very good. The Villa is a short walk to the city center and shopping. What a way to end our trip! Thank you Villa Gallici.

Room Tip: Suite 4 is large with great space. You can hear a little noise from the door leading to common area...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary60898
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Beautiful grounds greet you when you arrive at this townhouse hotel.
While it is a small hotel it does not feel any different to much larger ones.
The food, service and cleanliness ary excellent.
The only critism I have is that the set menu is fairly limited, and does not change.
There are 3 choises of each course, so if you stay for longer than 3 nights it becomes boring

Room Tip: if you can afford the price, the suites are something special
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We had been here many years ago and always remembered how wonderful it was. I had a fear that perhaps I had romanticized it in my mind and returning might be a disapointment. Nothing could be further from the truth!
The grounds are more manicured and beautiful than it had been. The pool is gorgeous and the dining patio/terrace is just perfect. We had a wonderful dinner here with fantastic service. Can't think of a more charming place to have breakfast. The rooms may be a bit small but they are lovely .
You can walk into the main part of Aix although the hotel is up on a hill.
I can't imagine why anyone would not love this place. We stayed 3 nights and would love to go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travelgalNY
VILLAGALLICI, Directeur général at Villa Gallici, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

All the team of La Villa Gallici thanks you for your comments!
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back this year.
Best regards,

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We had 2 nights here. It is one of the most beautiful hotels, in a classical (over the top) style - I have never seen so many fresh flowers (roses) used to decorate. Everything, especially the gorgeous furnishings, is top quality. Service is discreet yet attentive. It is very expensive and smaller than I'd anticipated, and whilst we had lunch here and sat by the pretty pool, I didn't think we got real value from the hotel (must have dinner next time!). The only constructive feedback I would have is that the rooms are pretty dark, and the first room they offered us was very small too. It's also a very quiet place, so if you're looking for a lively or sociable place, this isn't it! Or do as we did, and go out to the cute squares and cafes of aix - loved it. Flower market on a Thursday was also well worth going to.

Room Tip: Try for a deluxe rather than standard as these are small, especially for the price.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tracy A

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our Hotel.
Your satisfaction is our priority, and we are happy that you enjoyed all your moments at La Villa Gallici.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Best regards

Reviewed 1 July 2013

My daughter, age 19, and I just returned from an overnight stay at Villa Gallici at the end of our trip to Spain and Provence following her stint studying in Valencia.

All I can say is that I only wish we had had another night at this magical place! I can't wait to take my husband there--it is definitely our kind of spot. I am (fortunately!) used to staying in great places, but I was absolutely swooning, and so was my daughter. We had the most beautiful room (No. 8)--from the handpainted wallpaper to the unbelievable view from the balcony, it was just indescribable. It's not often that I take pictures of hotel rooms, but there was no way to resist.

And, the service was fabulous! When we saw the setting, we were really upset that we had not planned to have dinner at the hotel (but loved the restaurant we chose)--so we decided to skip dessert at L'Epicurien, returned to the hotel, and had dessert on the terrace--what a treat!!! And, as much as I hate seeing people taking pictures of their food, there I was--again, how could I help myself! Absolutely as delicious as they were beautiful.

My only "complaint" was that I accidentally left the door open on the balcony and was awakened very early by a chorus of songbirds--how fitting! So I went downstairs and asked for coffee, which was promptly delivered to our room on a silver tray with roses. Swooning again.

Breakfast was as wonderful as I expected by this point. I will tell you that this was quite a pricey experience but WELL worth every penny...I wouldn't change a thing except staying at least another day.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank shockly

Dear Guest,

What a great review!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Best regards

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I gave it only two of five because for the price they charge this should be better. The grounds are beautiful, and the staff was nice. But that's it, not enough to warrant five star status. Maybe our experience was due to our room, a terrace suite. We couldn't see how this place earned such rave reviews, unless the other rooms in the main building were much different. But it's possible that very few people stayed in our room, as it seemed like it hadn't been opened for some time.

The first thing we noticed when we walked in was the smell – like a summer cabin that had been closed up for nine months. The floors and counters were dirty (my wife wiped several of them down), there were spider webs in multiple locations, and the drain in the bedroom shower was slow enough to create a wading pool (hot water appeared only after running it for about 10 or 15 minutes). There were no unused AC outlets in the bedroom, so we unplugged a couple of unused appliances near the desk. That's where I plugged my phone in to charge, but a better place for it would have been the night stand, as there was no clock in the room. The room did not have access to the internet, which would have been nice, as the TV had only two English language channels (sometimes only one was available).

The staff was friendly and helpful, but they seemed understaffed. They were always busy helping somebody, which means they weren't always available. I realize this is a small inn, and not a hotel, but they charge a lot, so I had higher expectations.

We should have also done more research on Aix, as we thought it was in a rural area. The Villa was in the middle of a dense residential area, and the “village” that was a short walk away seemed like the world's largest open-air shopping mall. It's really a city (a very old one, with very narrow streets), not a village. I'm writing this on the train to Paris, and the view I expected at this Villa is about 50 minutes from Aix. If you're looking for a pastoral setting, this isn't the place. I can't comment on the rooms in the main building at the Villa Gallici, but if you do stay there, do NOT get the Terrace Suite.

Room Tip: Don't get #20.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family