“Surprised this hotel came so highly recommended.”
Review of Villa Gallici

Villa Gallici
Ranked #3 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
“Surprised this hotel came so highly recommended.”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We were so excited to try this hotel as we know several people who have been. I must say, the grounds and room were extremely lovely. The garden is beautiful, and the room charming and immaculate. The problem was in the restaurant and with the check-out woman at the desk. When you are spending three to four hundred dollars for dinner, you would expect some respect. The head waiter was rude twice to my husband. Once when we asked why the butter was wrapped in paper, and the other when he asked for there to be an abundance of chocolate sauce on his dessert.

But the icing on the cake came at the end. While we were checking out, the woman handed me a copy of the bill. I looked it over, it was correct. Then she ran my credit card. She never bothered to ask me if I wanted to be charged in dollars or euros..she just rang it up in dollars (about a $20 difference). In the eleven days we were in Europe this is the ONLY place this happened. A few minutes later, it dawned on me and I looked at my credit card receipt. I noticed the dollar charge not euros. And on the bottom of the credit card receipt, it clearly states: You are agreeing to pay in dollars and this is non-reversible. When I went back to her, more snottiness. She says " you didn't look at what you were signing?" I said I only looked at the bill print out carefully, not the credit card printout. Let me just say, any Four Seasons in the universe would tell you they would correct it. She was completely rude, and said there was nothing she could do. I find it HIGHLY interesting that this is the ONLY time this happened on our entire trip. Am sure there are other gorgeous hotels in the region you can stay at where you won't encounter this attitude (we stayed at another Relais Chataeux in Eze, and they could NOT HAVE BEEN NICER!). A few of the staff people were lovely (check in woman, waitress in restaurant) but beyond that my memory of this place will be stuck with what I am writing about...and oh, did I mention I saw a guy spraying air freshener trying to mask the smell of must in several parts of the common area! We would never return, and would strongly discourage people from eating in their restaurant, where the service was rude and the food completely bland.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Hungrymungry22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Our room, a duplex, was very pretty, however, bathroom fixtures were leaking and beautiful tub faucet did not work! A long walk to town and not a very pleasant one at night. Very disappointing and would not recommend.

4 Thank C L
San Pedro de Alcantara, Spain
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stepping into Villa Gallici is like stepping back into the last century and into a luxurious Italian Villa, typically over stuffed with sumptuous silken drapes and heavy brocades. but it all works brilliantly.

Villa Gallici is 5 minutes walk into the main city of Aix, hidden in a secluded, secret garden.
Secure Parking is available in the front of the Villa entrance
The Reception doubles as a lavender Boutique and is a tranquil, perfumed delight after travelling.
A nice touch is the little almond cakes and tea offered at check in as well as at the Pool come 4pm.

The rooms are kept in Italianate style - if minimalism is your thing, you will suffocate here. Toile and acres of drapes are everywhere. The beds are extremely comfortable, fine bed linen and good quality pillows assure one of a good night's sleep. The bathroom is not large but is modern and has everything one would need. Bath lotion and ear buds in the toiletries kit would have been a nice addition in exchange of one less chocolate.

At the end of August most of the Restauranteurs and shop keepers close down for a well earned holiday after the long hot summer season, so although the night life of Aix called so did the excellent Meal in the hotel. Dinner is served on a delightful Terrace, shaded by giant Poplars and overlooking the swimming pool.
Birds are very much a theme and adorable little china ornaments of every avian variety are dotted about. Another nice feature was a shawl draped over the back of a dining chair in case the air proved too chilly.
At the Breakfast Buffet there is a fountain against the wall and magnificent roses of every hue are set in the basin, so Style, what they do best, is all around one.
The quality of the food is excellent, the menu varied and a varied good wine list particularly of the famous Provencal Rosé wines.

No one does Rude like the French, but if one can see past this, a sojourn here in Aix is a true pleasure.

Room Tip: The hotel is small so all rooms are about the same. For a longer stay you may want to choose a Gard...
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We just returned from a three week trip to France. Our last stop was the Villa Gallici. The villa was perfection from start to finish. The villa and grounds were beautiful. Arrival and check in were flawless. The suite was one of the most beautiful I have stayed in. We had a large bedroom, living room, sunroom and terrace overlooking the pool and gardens. The suite had a large bathroom with a seperate shower. The decor is exceptional in the public areas as well. The breakfast buffet is lovely, but I do think they should include hot items as part of the price. We enjoyed dinner at the hotel as well and it was very good. The Villa is a short walk to the city center and shopping. What a way to end our trip! Thank you Villa Gallici.

Room Tip: Suite 4 is large with great space. You can hear a little noise from the door leading to common area...
1 Thank Mary60898
London
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Beautiful grounds greet you when you arrive at this townhouse hotel.
While it is a small hotel it does not feel any different to much larger ones.
The food, service and cleanliness ary excellent.
The only critism I have is that the set menu is fairly limited, and does not change.
There are 3 choises of each course, so if you stay for longer than 3 nights it becomes boring

Room Tip: if you can afford the price, the suites are something special
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We had been here many years ago and always remembered how wonderful it was. I had a fear that perhaps I had romanticized it in my mind and returning might be a disapointment. Nothing could be further from the truth!
The grounds are more manicured and beautiful than it had been. The pool is gorgeous and the dining patio/terrace is just perfect. We had a wonderful dinner here with fantastic service. Can't think of a more charming place to have breakfast. The rooms may be a bit small but they are lovely .
You can walk into the main part of Aix although the hotel is up on a hill.
I can't imagine why anyone would not love this place. We stayed 3 nights and would love to go back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelgalNY
VILLAGALLICI, Directeur général at Villa Gallici, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
All the team of La Villa Gallici thanks you for your comments!
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back this year.
Best regards,

Laurent Mounet
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We had 2 nights here. It is one of the most beautiful hotels, in a classical (over the top) style - I have never seen so many fresh flowers (roses) used to decorate. Everything, especially the gorgeous furnishings, is top quality. Service is discreet yet attentive. It is very expensive and smaller than I'd anticipated, and whilst we had lunch here and sat by the pretty pool, I didn't think we got real value from the hotel (must have dinner next time!). The only constructive feedback I would have is that the rooms are pretty dark, and the first room they offered us was very small too. It's also a very quiet place, so if you're looking for a lively or sociable place, this isn't it! Or do as we did, and go out to the cute squares and cafes of aix - loved it. Flower market on a Thursday was also well worth going to.

Room Tip: Try for a deluxe rather than standard as these are small, especially for the price.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tracy A
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our Hotel.
Your satisfaction is our priority, and we are happy that you enjoyed all your moments at La Villa Gallici.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Best regards